Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Ethernet Backhaul on Orbi 6E in Access Point mode? RBRE960 / RBSE960

orbiseattle
Follower

Ethernet Backhaul on Orbi 6E in Access Point mode? RBRE960 / RBSE960

Hey everyone - I just set up the Orbi WiFi 6E units with one router and 2 satellites. My house is wired in each room with Cat 6A cabling, and I have 10 gigabit (10,000Mbps) fiber here at my home, so I was excited to see a product like this with a 10Gb WAN port.

I have the router (RBRE960) in access point mode (plugged into a 10Gb switch,) and the two satellites (RBSE960) in wireless mode. I'd much prefer to have them in wired backhaul mode, but whenever I plug the satellites in, they no longer are recognized as being part of the network anymore. I've tried:

• 10Gb WAN port on router, 2.5Gb LAN ports on satellites
  • 2.5Gb LAN port on router, 2.5Gb LAN ports on satellites
  • 10Gb WAN port AND 2.5Gb LAN port connected simultaneously on router, 2.5Gb LAN ports on satellites

Using just the 2.5Gb LAN and using both ports combined on the router both ended up with WiFi cutting out completely. Using the 10Gb WAN port on the router with the satellites in wireless mode works (but one of the two satellites has a "Poor" wireless backhaul status,) and anytime I plug a satellite into Ethernet, it disappears from the network until I unplug it.

Does AP mode mean that I can't use Ethernet backhaul, or is there something else I'm missing?

Message 1 of 5
plemans
Guru

Re: Ethernet Backhaul on Orbi 6E in Access Point mode? RBRE960 / RBSE960

try going modem/gateway---->into wan port of RBRE960-----lan port out of rbre960----->Switch------>satellites

Message 2 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Have the RBS been wirelessly synce first before connecting them via ethernet? 

What is the Mfr and model# of the ethernet switch in the configuration?

https://kb.netgear.com/000051205/What-is-Ethernet-backhaul-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-Sy... 📡

First try ethernet connecting them directly to the back of the RBR as a test. 

Message 3 of 5
HansC-RBK963
Tutor

"Does AP mode mean that I can't use Ethernet backhaul, or is there something else I'm missing?"

No, my RBKE963 is configured like this (wired backhaul via the 2,5 Gb ports through a multi gig switch). I never messed around with sat-sync etc. (Unboxed the kit, plugged it in and changed to AP mode)

This kit has been operable for a couple of months now without one single glimpse.

Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Any progress on this? 

@orbiseattle wrote:

Hey everyone - I just set up the Orbi WiFi 6E units with one router and 2 satellites. My house is wired in each room with Cat 6A cabling, and I have 10 gigabit (10,000Mbps) fiber here at my home, so I was excited to see a product like this with a 10Gb WAN port.

I have the router (RBRE960) in access point mode (plugged into a 10Gb switch,) and the two satellites (RBSE960) in wireless mode. I'd much prefer to have them in wired backhaul mode, but whenever I plug the satellites in, they no longer are recognized as being part of the network anymore. I've tried:

• 10Gb WAN port on router, 2.5Gb LAN ports on satellites
  • 2.5Gb LAN port on router, 2.5Gb LAN ports on satellites
  • 10Gb WAN port AND 2.5Gb LAN port connected simultaneously on router, 2.5Gb LAN ports on satellites

Using just the 2.5Gb LAN and using both ports combined on the router both ended up with WiFi cutting out completely. Using the 10Gb WAN port on the router with the satellites in wireless mode works (but one of the two satellites has a "Poor" wireless backhaul status,) and anytime I plug a satellite into Ethernet, it disappears from the network until I unplug it.

Does AP mode mean that I can't use Ethernet backhaul, or is there something else I'm missing?

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7