Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Ethernet backhaul between RBR750 ard RBS750 broken mysteriously

cutaway
Aspirant

Ethernet backhaul between RBR750 ard RBS750 broken mysteriously

My setup is simple and standard.  RBR750 connected to the cable modem (its WiFi turned off), and then I have a RBS750 connected to via ethernet.

Suddenly, the RBS750 started going AWOL and switching between wireless and wired backhaul.   I have done all the steps a sound technical person would do including the reset of the Orbi WiFi system to factory default settings.  Not successful.

The RBR750 is working normally.  Ethernet cable is good.   Cable modem is good.

So, I upgraded the system to the latest RBR750 / RBS750 Firmware Version 4.6.5.14.  Still same problem.

I am ready to take a sledge hammer to the RBS750 and rant about how terrible Netgear is as a company.    Is there something more I can should try?  Thanks in advance 

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok. Hopefully something works. Ive found wirelessly connecting first with the RBS and letting them sync, then ethernet connect the RBS while they are near the RBR with a good quality LAN cable, CAT6, helps test the link between the RBS and RBR. Once they are check and seeing Wired Status on the RBR, then I turn the RBS OFF and move them to there normal remote locations.

Yes, it's a MAC address handling between any router and modem. Just one quick extra step I've found that is good to as a "while your in there" kind of thing. Seem odd things happen at the modem level. Power cycle can help avoid these. 

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Did you first wirelessly synce the RBS to the RBR and wait for it's front LED to turn BLUE then OFF then after that, connect the ethernet cable?

A complete pull of the power adapters for a period of time after the factory reset then walk thru the setup wizard and setup from scratch.
I would power OFF the ISP modem for 1 minute. Factory reset the Orbi router and power it off. Power ON the ISP modem and let it sync. Then power ON the Orbi router and walk thru the setup wizard again using a wired PC and a web browser.

I'm not seeing with with my RBK752 system. 

Message 2 of 4
cutaway
Aspirant

I will give your suggestion a "one more try" before sledge hammering the RBS750.  Thanks @FURRYe38.  (Yup, I do wait for the blue LED when synching the RBS before connecting the ethernet.)

QQ, what is the reason for the "I would power OFF the ISP modem for 1 minute."   This kind of suggestion is common.   Is it because the ISP modem is doing some sort of MAC address association of the RBR750?   I thought it was merely assigning IP via DHCP.   

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok. Hopefully something works. Ive found wirelessly connecting first with the RBS and letting them sync, then ethernet connect the RBS while they are near the RBR with a good quality LAN cable, CAT6, helps test the link between the RBS and RBR. Once they are check and seeing Wired Status on the RBR, then I turn the RBS OFF and move them to there normal remote locations.

Yes, it's a MAC address handling between any router and modem. Just one quick extra step I've found that is good to as a "while your in there" kind of thing. Seem odd things happen at the modem level. Power cycle can help avoid these. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7