Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Firmware mess on RBK7xx devices!!!

claudiut
Apprentice

Firmware mess on RBK7xx devices!!!

Oh boy! It's even hard to find the words to describe the mess Netgear made with the Orbi RBK7xx devices (and many more). I've recently upgraded to their latest released firmware (v4.6.8.2) for my RBK753 system after spending a lot of time on a previous firmware version (v4.6.5.14) which was completely messed up. Firmware v4.6.5.14 was so messed up that I ended up downgrading to v3.x which was super stable, but took away the Smart Parental features which I've paid for (of course Netgear didn't care to refund my sub). I thought Netgear finally got their game together with v4.6.8.2 only to learn that they actually pulled this new firmware version for undisclosed reasons!! To make things worse Netgear advises users that any attempts to downgrade from 4.6.8.2 might brick the devices. Great! I'm lucky enough to experience no real issues with the 4.6.8.2 but I wonder how long that would last since pulling a firmware back signals pretty serious issues!! The entire Netgear experience has been horrendous so far, and for such an expensive device is unacceptable. I'm almost at the point where I just write off the Netgear device and go for a much more stable device which I've been contemplating for a while now: Asus AiMesh.

Message 1 of 2
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Firmware mess on RBK7xx devices!!!

Keep v.2 loaded if it's working for you. NG is working on a fix for those that are effected. I believe auto updates have been turned off. 

Be sure you have a back up configuration to file saved. 

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7