Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Firmware upgrade issue

Popcorn2007
Aspirant

Firmware upgrade issue

Received email advising firmware upgrade. However when I check for updates just comes back with ‘Firmware check error’
Message 1 of 21

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Firmware upgrade issue

Message 19 of 21

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

@Popcorn2007 wrote:
Received email advising firmware upgrade. However when I check for updates just comes back with ‘Firmware check error’

How I envy customers who get email from Netgear. Bought my Orbi in 2016. Registered it. Have never received any sort of email.

This situation reflects the disjointed nature of Netgear support mechanism.  It appears that the mechanism sending out email notices (to some customers) and the mechanism that "flips a switch" so that routers find updates when they search are not in sync.

There is a sort of mantra on the forum, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."  Meaning that a customer who is not experiencing any sort of issue with the system should feel no urgency to change the firmware.  (Customers who are having problems are a different issue.)

Until the router "finds" the new firmware, the only was to update the firmware is to browse to the Netgear support site:

https://netgear.com/support Enter the product name (such as RBR750). Click on the link that comes up. Click on Downloads.

Then, download the firmware version you want (latest in your case).

Unpack the zip file to extract the firmware image.

Use the Manual Tab on the firmware update page to upload the firmware image.

Or..... wait until the router does it automatically.

Message 2 of 21
Popcorn2007
Aspirant

Thanks for your quick response - just concerned as email indicated it was a security enhancement
Message 3 of 21
CrimpOn
Guru

Yes, this does put customers in an awkward bind.  "Hurry and do this now", but then the router says it can't find new firmware.

As Pooh would say, "oh. Bother."

Perhaps if you post the product number of the router and the current firmware release (found in the upper right corner of the web browser interface home page) or (somewhere) in the Orbi 'app', someone could comment on how significant this update is.

Message 4 of 21
Popcorn2007
Aspirant

Hi,

Thanks for the reply

Message 5 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

What NG product and model are you referring too? 

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6 is recommended. 

@Popcorn2007 wrote:

Message 6 of 21
Popcorn2007
Aspirant

Just a thought the email came recommending an upgrade was from security@e.netgear.com. Is this a legitimate email for netgear? Looked ok as knew the model number of my Orbi
Message 7 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

What model Orbi do you have? 

Message 8 of 21
CrimpOn
Guru

@Popcorn2007 wrote:
Just a thought the email came recommending an upgrade was from security@e.netgear.com. Is this a legitimate email for netgear? Looked ok as knew the model number of my Orbi

Internet search turns up many (many) posts asking this exact question.  Back in 2016, there was a response on the forum saying, "Yes. This is a legitimate post."  See post #7 in this conversation:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/General-WiFi-Routers-Non/Suspicious-email-NETGEARSecurity-e-netgear... 

Notice in that post that the Original Poster (OP) sincerely believed that this email address had never given to Netgear, the product had never been registered, etc.  It appears that the OP signed up for the community forum for the purpose of asking this specific question and has not posted since.

Message 9 of 21
Popcorn2007
Aspirant

Hi

Netgear Support are now dealing with problem.

Thanks for all your help

Message 10 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know how that turns out. I've asked for confirmation on this. 

Message 11 of 21
KevinLiT
NETGEAR Moderator

Hello @Popcorn2007 ,

Welcome to the NETGEAR Community!

I understand that you are skeptical of the email security@e.netgear.com. Please rest assured that this email is a legitimate NETGEAR email address.

Best,

Kevin

Community Team

Message 12 of 21
Popcorn2007
Aspirant

Kevin
Much appreciate the reassurance you have given.
Excuse my ignorance, but could I ask if you are employed by Netgear? The reason being is that during my contact with them they have been unable as yet to confirm that the email is legitimate, which has been very frustrating. Given the amount of queries regarding this and similar email addresses , it would be useful if this information could be passed up the line.
Once again many thanks.
Message 13 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Most users with a N icon next to there name is a employee of NG from what I understand. 

Message 14 of 21
Popcorn2007
Aspirant

Thanks
Message 15 of 21
Popcorn2007
Aspirant

‘Confirmation of this’? Is this from me or Netgear? Learning all the time
Message 16 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

NG.

Message 17 of 21
Popcorn2007
Aspirant

Cheers
Message 18 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

👍

Message 19 of 21
Popcorn2007
Aspirant

Finally got this sorted. System updated and all is good.

Thanks for all the advice

Message 20 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it sorted out. Glad you got it working. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System

Enjoy. 📡

Message 21 of 21
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 20 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7