Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Firmware v3.2.10.11 Frequent Disconnects

joshadam1984
Aspirant

Firmware v3.2.10.11 Frequent Disconnects

Hello. Over the past couple months I’ve noticed frequent disconnections from a couple of my RBS850 satellites. I have three satellites in all.. with a stand-alone modem (Only) and the RBR850 as my router.

I took the feedback from other posts and downloaded a much earlier firmware version yesterday evening, did a hard reset, and started fresh.
Unfortunately, the system updated over night last night on its own back to V.3.2.10.11.
When I noticed that this morning, I once again did a hard reset on the router and satellites. I’ve hard the “updated” system running for 3 hours now and maintains frequent disconnects from the RBS850s.
Everything worked seamlessly up until about the middle of March.

Any recommendations or assistance is appreciated. Also, I did go back and update the thresholds to the 2347 value.

Thank you.
Message 1 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Firmware v3.2.10.11 Frequent Disconnects

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Have you loaded v11.2 on everything then factory reset and setup from scratch, set CTS/RTS values to max then see if problem reappears? 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/RBK852-Firmware-Update-V3-2-11-2-1-2-13/m-p/1904045/highlig...

Message 2 of 13
joshadam1984
Aspirant

I should all that none are wired.. all wireless. When synced, they flash blue.. which I understand is a good connection.
Message 3 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 4 of 13
joshadam1984
Aspirant

I haven’t adjusted the channel— it is auto currently so will try changing it.

Wifi neighbors— normally 1 sometimes 2 show up.

One is more then 30 ft, blue does flash blue when syncing.

I did a factory reset after it automatically pushed the firmware back to v3.2.10.11.

CTS/RTS were changed and all Orbi systems rebooted.
Message 5 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Try v11.2 if needed. 

Message 6 of 13
FarmerBob1
Luminary

@joshadam1984 wrote:
I haven’t adjusted the channel— it is auto currently so will try changing it.

Wifi neighbors— normally 1 sometimes 2 show up.

One is more then 30 ft, blue does flash blue when syncing.

I did a factory reset after it automatically pushed the firmware back to v3.2.10.11.

CTS/RTS were changed and all Orbi systems rebooted.

Yesterday I was having all kinds of trouble after being in 11.2 for a while and IoT Devices that work fine on their own, but weren't interacting with eachother as they should. I did a Back-Up and a Factory Reset in preparation for reverting to 10.11 from 11.2. As I was getting ready to load 10.11, I realized that when I installed 11.2 I didn't do any of the "adjustments" that I have discovered needs to be changed. So I restored with the Back-Up that I just made, then turned off CoEx. Alexa is not only talking to my kinda old AV gear, but changing settings and inputs.

Just for giggles, try just turning off the 2.4GHz/5GHz Coexistence setting. That has fixed these issues many times for me. The next thing to try is turning off AX Features. After I did the restore I started off with CTS/RTS is at 64, the default. I also have left the channel at "Auto". Which with Netgear, they usually do a pretty good job of dodging congested frequencies. That is "usually". But with the changing of the Coex, I upped the CTS/RTS to the max of 2347. Preamble at "Automatic", was "Short", and Power 100%. The third thing I do is turn off WMM (Wi-Fi multimedia) settings on both 2.4 & 5GHz. This has come from the step by step trouble shooting I have had to do.

Let us know what happens . . .

Stay Smart, Safe & Well . . .

. . . fb

Message 7 of 13
joshadam1984
Aspirant

Has there been good feedback on the 11.2 version? I will definitely look into manually updating it to 11.2 if so.

Also, it really seems to be isolated to one of my RBS850 satellites as opposed to the RBR850, itself. I say this because I was still able to work on my laptop.. which was connected to the router.. however, our living room Roku was consistently disconnecting.  This Roku was connected to one of the RBS850 satellites. I tried a wired and wireless connection and it kept occuring. As a result, I swapped the placements of two of the RBS850 satellites with one another and the Roku has held on strong for the last 3 hours whereas before it'd disconnect every 30-45 mins. 

If I can isolate it to the one satellite having the issue then certainly could assist in potential troubleshooting.

Thank you!

Message 8 of 13
joshadam1984
Aspirant

Thank you for the detailed troubleshooting options, fb. I'm trying to see if it may just be limited to one of the satellites having an issue as opposed to the RBR850, itself. I'll keep you all updated after I replace them a few times and see how long they stay connected.

Are there any easy ways of monitoring satellite disconnections?

Message 9 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

I haven't seen any disconnects with my system on v11.2. 

The only problem is that the backhaul status reporting in the RBR in broke while the RBR is in AP mode if you connect RBS to the RBR with a Gb lan switch in the middle. Smiley Frustrated

Message 10 of 13
Sevo123
Apprentice

Im on version 3.2.11.2 and my devices are disconnecting constantly its so annoying! I regret buying my rbk853 and giving netgear $1000 smh !!!! Do upset that they cant fix this stupid disconnecting issue. Before on my rbk53 unit they did the same thing in the beginning then finally fixed this situation now a new product and new problems... Their phone support is garbage now. They cant even help
Message 11 of 13
Mikey94025
Hero

@Sevo123 wrote:
Im on version 3.2.11.2 and my devices are disconnecting constantly its so annoying! I regret buying my rbk853 and giving netgear $1000 smh !!!! Do upset that they cant fix this stupid disconnecting issue. Before on my rbk53 unit they did the same thing in the beginning then finally fixed this situation now a new product and new problems... Their phone support is garbage now. They cant even help

It is certainly frustrating that your home network is not reliable for you.  Do you have a posting where you can describe your issues and get community assistance?  I think everyone's situation is different so we cannot assume that one person's disconnects is the same as another's

I've been fortunate and my AX system has been great with both 3.2.11.2 and the prior 3.2.10.11.   Once I changed CTS/RTS to 2347 (thanks FURRYe38!) then things worked as expected.

Message 12 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?
Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
 IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Be sure that CTS and RTS values are changed to 2347 under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? 

@Sevo123 wrote:

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7