Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Google Fiber + Orbi X4200 RBR750 in the NC Triangle Area

RTP_NC
Tutor

Google Fiber + Orbi X4200 RBR750 in the NC Triangle Area

Located near Research Triangle in North Carolina.

I have Google Fiber Jack, no network box since they didn't give me one and I'm 95% certain it isn't needed anymore, connected directly to WAN port on Orbi AX4200 RBR750, firmware V4.6.5.14_2.0.54 (latest firmware as of writing this) and a satellite RBS750, same firmware, two floors higher, ~20ft separation distance. The router is in Router mode, and configured typically using 192.168 address and as a DHCP server. The Google Fiber jack *may* be using AT&T backbone, I'm not certain about that.

WIFI has 2.4 and 5 GHZ enabled

CTS/RTS 600

MTU 1500

Disabled 20/40MHz Coexistence

Some neighbors, but we are all single family homes, so dozens of ft of space between homes. Can certainly see their Wifi however, just not too strongly.

So, I have gotten frequent disconnects. Most times, the router doesn't go down - I can still access it via 192.168.1.1 and all the settings. But when you go into router settings, you see the "Internet Disconnected" flag. The Orbi logs are bloody useless, as they don't say anything. The solution thus far, has been to unplug the Google Fiber jack box power and the almost always solves the problem immediately. But that's not what I want to do with my life, unplugging fiber jack boxes. 

Most Wifi speeds are about 340-450Mbps. However, a speed test directly from Orbi's software shows it can reach internet at 940Mbps up and down, which is about as high as it can get realistically. 

But the internet was dropping out every few days, now, every 6 hours or so. We have over 40 devices, but mostly low-utilization IoT devices like google minis. No heavy streaming or gaming, certainly not at same time. Most of the time, the routers' lights remain unilluminated, but say, 1 out of every 10 disconnects, it'll light up magenta.

Possible solutions I've read about: the power supply to the Orbi should be replaced. Downgrade the firmware. Move the satellites closer. I've done the latter two, but not the first issue. No joy. My next step is replacing the Orbi system with whatever warranty covers, since it is still under warranty.

Are there any suggestions? Anyone from same area dealing with this?

Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 9
RTP_NC
Tutor

I should also mention I did do numerous resets and factor resets on Orbi and Google Fiber and seemingly every troubleshooting tactic for both Google Fiber and Netgear Orbi

Message 2 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

@RTP_NC wrote:

Located near Research Triangle in North Carolina.

I have Google Fiber Jack, no network box since they didn't give me one and I'm 95% certain it isn't needed anymore, connected directly to WAN port on Orbi AX4200 RBR750, firmware V4.6.5.14_2.0.54 (latest firmware as of writing this) and a satellite RBS750, same firmware, two floors higher, ~20ft separation distance. 20 feet is too close between the RBR and RBS. 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite 📡

The router is in Router mode, and configured typically using 192.168 address and as a DHCP server. The Google Fiber jack *may* be using AT&T backbone, I'm not certain about that.

WIFI has 2.4 and 5 GHZ enabled

CTS/RTS 600 <Does changing this to 64 or 2347 have any effect? 

MTU 1500

Disabled 20/40MHz Coexistence

Some neighbors, but we are all single family homes, so dozens of ft of space between homes. Can certainly see their Wifi however, just not too strongly.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try Auto and 48 on 5Ghz. Or try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.

So, I have gotten frequent disconnects. Most times, the router doesn't go down - I can still access it via 192.168.1.1 and all the settings. But when you go into router settings, you see the "Internet Disconnected" flag. The Orbi logs are bloody useless, as they don't say anything. The solution thus far, has been to unplug the Google Fiber jack box power and the almost always solves the problem immediately. But that's not what I want to do with my life, unplugging fiber jack boxes. 

Most Wifi speeds are about 340-450Mbps. However, a speed test directly from Orbi's software shows it can reach internet at 940Mbps up and down, which is about as high as it can get realistically. 

But the internet was dropping out every few days, now, every 6 hours or so. We have over 40 devices, but mostly low-utilization IoT devices like google minis. No heavy streaming or gaming, certainly not at same time. Most of the time, the routers' lights remain unilluminated, but say, 1 out of every 10 disconnects, it'll light up magenta.

You may want to try this:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6-AX-and-WiFi-6E-AXE/New-RBR750-RBS750-Firmware-Version-v...

It's said to have better results than current FW version released. 

Possible solutions I've read about: the power supply to the Orbi should be replaced. Downgrade the firmware. Move the satellites closer. I've done the latter two, but not the first issue. No joy. My next step is replacing the Orbi system with whatever warranty covers, since it is still under warranty.

Message 3 of 9
RTP_NC
Tutor

Thanks, I will try this then put results in that forum conversation and here.

Message 4 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

👍

Message 5 of 9
RTP_NC
Tutor

Update - Just for good measure I wanted to eliminate Google Fiber as a possible culprit. As explained below, Google Fiber is not the problem. They've been great and very reliable. I'd still recommend them highly. 

So a Google tech came out very recently and verified the set up. No errors, everything was hooked up correctly, the backend people got all the proper responses. So I want to exonerate Google Fiber and say their service still is overall excellent, reliable, and quick. 

I asked the Google Fiber tech to let me borrow the complimentary Google Wifi Mesh points that come with a Fiber install so I can verify that's it's my Orbi router. He gave me the standard 2-pack of them, one to be used as a router and one as a satellite. It's not as fast or fancy as an Orbi RBR75X AX4200 but you know what - these cheap Google Wifi mesh spots have been working flawlessly. The internet connection hasn't dropped once and if I'm honest, the connection isn't that much noticeably slower that my Orbi setup. I'll gladly trade 50-100Mbps of wifi data speed advantage the Orbi offered for what is already a 100% reliable connection using these Google Wifi mesh spots. That is, 350 Mbps of extremely reliable internet access, being up 100% so far >>>>> 450 Mbps that's randomly cutting out during meetings and gaming sessions and messing up my IoTs. 

So I'm now in high 90s in confidence that my internet troubles of original post were caused by my Orbi and Orbi alone. And that is incredibly upsetting, given the money I/we spent for it. I confirmed the settings from Orbi are virtually identical to the Google Wifi Mesh, so this really, really seems like an Orbi firmware issue or similar.

Message 6 of 9
Mikey94025
Hero

@RTP_NC wrote:

So, I have gotten frequent disconnects. Most times, the router doesn't go down - I can still access it via 192.168.1.1 and all the settings. But when you go into router settings, you see the "Internet Disconnected" flag.

This seems to indicate that your disconnects problem is the Orbi's WAN connection.  We should ignore the wireless settings, satellites distance, etc. for now and focus on any Orbi settings/connection that can disrupt its WAN connection.

Could it be a network cable issue between the Orbi and Google Fiber NIC?  For good measure, change it out.

Have you tried the experimental new firmware yet?  Many 850 and 750 owners have had issues, though I think not the WAN disconnect sympton like you report, and some have had improvement with the experimental firmware.

Last resort, do swap out your Orbi hardware.

I agree with your latest post and diagnostics that your disconnect problem is caused by the Orbi and not Google Fiber.  The confusion is that most Orbi owners do not experience the intermittent WAN "Internet Disconnected" symptom that you're reporting, so we focus on something specific to your environment.

Message 7 of 9
RTP_NC
Tutor

I do imagine it is the Orbi WAN connection.

Furrye38 had good recommendations but I havent posted results yet until I tried the firmware beta. But yes, no combination of wifi settings and channel configs have helped.

I have changed out the Ethernet cable. Didn't make a difference. The Google Mesh Wifi used same cable, works fine.
Message 8 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Give the beta v5 version a try....

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements