Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: How extend outdoor WiFI of Orbi AX4200 outdoor

korzonek
Follower

How extend outdoor WiFI of Orbi AX4200 outdoor

I bought Orbi WIFI 6 System (RBK753) AX4200 and would like to extend its WIFI coverage to my garden.  What is the best way to do it? 

Does Orbi Outdoor stallite RBS50Yv2 work with my system?

Message 1 of 3
Brownds
Tutor

According to this Netgear Support page, No!

https://kb.netgear.com/000061570/Are-older-Orbi-WiFi-satellites-compatible-with-Orbi-WiFi-6-Systems

<snip>

"No. Currently, Orbi WiFi 6 Systems are only compatible with Orbi WiFi 6 satellites.

Likewise, special Orbi AC WiFi satellites such as the Orbi Outdoor Satellite, Orbi Voice, and Orbi Wall-Plug Satellite are not compatible with Orbi WiFi 6 Systems."

<snip end>

========

FYI, I achieved coverage in my garden by placing a Satellite at the furthest extent of my building, closet to the garden as possible.  So in essence, there is just the outside wall between the Satellite and start of the garden.  I also used a wired connection from the Satellite back to the Orbi Router to ensure 'Good' Backhaul and bandwidth is maintained at all times.

I don't have a massive garden, but I can connect to my WiFi way beyond its perimeter, 100m+, but your situation may be different due to interference from other WiFi systems in your area etc..

Also, you could try a WiFi card or USB dongle for your laptop/computer that can have high gain aerial(s), which should boost the signal strength to/from your device or even an omni-directional one that you can point directly at the Satellite closet to your garden.

Unfortunately there not a lot you can do about devices with inbuilt WiFi which cannot be modified/upgraded.

FYI, you can, with the right WiFi card/USB Dongle, with a massive external high gain aerial attached, connect to a WiFi signal that's over two miles away, with the right conditions!

We have also installed indoor Orbi Satellites outside, but encased them in an appropriate IP66 secure enclosure, ensuring no moisture ingress is possible, sighting the enclosure out of direct sunlight (cool shaded position best), plus placed a large silica-gel pack inside.  We also installed a 'Ethernet Alarm Unit' in each enclosure.  These units can monitor parameters such as temperature and humidity or contact closure inputs and automatically generate an email/sms or audible alarm when temperature/humidity high or low limits are exceeded.

I hope that helps.

Message 2 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

NG forum moderator mentioned that you can use the RBSY unit with  Orbi AX  only if you install the RBSY Extender mode FW on the RBSY. 

@korzonek wrote:

I bought Orbi WIFI 6 System (RBK753) AX4200 and would like to extend its WIFI coverage to my garden.  What is the best way to do it? 

Does Orbi Outdoor stallite RBS50Yv2 work with my system?

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7