Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: How many RBS850 satellites will a RBR850 router support

wififast
Aspirant

How many RBS850 satellites will a RBR850 router support

How many RBS850 satellites will a RBR850 router support? I have 3 satellites and tried to add a 4th. Was not able. Is there a limit on satellites for the AX6000?

Message 1 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Supposedly 6:

https://kb.netgear.com/000062035/How-many-satellites-can-you-add-to-an-Orbi-WiFi-System

Not sure if this works for sure.

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

Be sure all RBS and the RBR are using same version of FW. 

Message 2 of 8
wififast
Aspirant

Thanks. Can only get 3 satellites to work. Maybe it is an issue with daisy chaining more than two satellites. Did live chat with support. Said router only would support 3 satellites. Have sent email request to Support. No response yet.

Message 3 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the distance between the RBR and RBS? 

Try this, turn off all RBS. 

Turn take one RBS and turn ON and add it. once added, turn it off, turn on the next RBS and add it. Turn OFF, keep doing this for each RBS. If you get them all added one at a time. Try placing them out at there remote locations and then turn them on one at a time to see if they will connect. 

Is the placement in star formation or out in a line from the RBR? 

Message 4 of 8
wififast
Aspirant

Thanks. Distance is not an issue. When doing 4 total, three of the satelittes would be in a line. Have tried both one at a time and all at once with no luck. Three are working now with 2 in a line. Could try to add 4th again but last time had to remove 4th and reset everything so am hesitant. Will try to call Netgear tomorrow.

Message 5 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Possible that having several in a line may not work, Possible Star formation may work. 

Message 6 of 8
wififast
Aspirant

Finally reached customer support by phone after an extensive wait. Explained my issue but no resolution so I was transfered to an "expert." After another wait explained again. Support said router would only support 3 satelittes. If I added a 4th it would drop the internet. Was not a daisy chain issue. Explained my house size and configuration and asked how I could extend the coverage. Support said no need since three satelites should easily cover. I've done signal strenght measurements and do not have total coverage. Support said try moving the satellites around till it works... So I guess I will try to figure out how to return one of the sateliites. Really seems like a great product, but tech documentation and supprt are lacking.

Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Thanks for letting us know this information. 

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7