Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How to connect Ethernet to Wifi 6 Mesh Network

mimibighead
Follower

How to connect Ethernet to Wifi 6 Mesh Network

I just bought an Orbi 960 with 2 satellites.  My old network had a satellite that was closer to some devices requiring Ethernet cables to be plugged in.  Now that I only have 2 satellites I don't have anywhere to plug in the ethernet cables.

Is there a way or device to connect those ethernet cables to the network WITHOUT having to buy another Orbi 960 satellite (wifi range is great so just need ethernet connectivity.

Can someone in the know help please?

Thanks

Message 1 of 5
Phyber
Luminary

Re: How to connect Ethernet to Wifi 6 Mesh Network

What I did with my 753 system (two satellites) is run solid copper core, UTP, CAT-6 cable (non-CCA/CCS) to each room that I wanted hard wired. I used punchdown keystone jacks at the wall and then ran CAT-6 ethernet patch cable from that to a powered, 8-port gigabit switch. One of the satellites is connected that way and the other one at the other end of the house is connected directly to the keystone jack in the wall. Works perfectly and coverage is excellent as well as speeds. So each satellite has an extra ethernet port and or I can use the extra ethernet ports on the gigabit switch for one of the satellite areas. I paid an electrician who had experience in LV wiring to lay the cable in-wall (two-story home) and it was well worth it.

Message 2 of 5
plemans
Guru

You could pick up a range extender. they'll connect to the network and you'd be able to use the ethernet port. I've done that for devices needing an ethernet connection and not being near one

Message 3 of 5
Mikey94025
Hero

You're asking about what is called a "wireless access point" (WAP) or "wi-fi to ethernet bridge" or "wi-fi to ethernet adapter", i.e., something that connects a wired (ethernet) device to a wireless network.  These are usually inexpensive and consider how speedy this wired device needs to be, since higher-end WAPs cost more than low-end WAPs.  For example, a wired printer doesn't need Wi-Fi 6 speeds.  WAPs do not extend your wireless network (like your Orbi satellites) and simply connect to it.

Also, most wi-fi routers can also act as a WAP.  Do you have any older, unused wi-fi routers laying around that you can use as a wi-fi bridge?

Message 4 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

@Mikey94025 wrote:

consider how speedy this wired device needs to be,

This is indeed the critical factor.  WiFi extenders are never going to match the performance of wired Ethernet, especially on the lower end of the price range.  So, this is not a great way to connect a PlayStation or Xbox.

The router is probably "stuck" as far as physical location goes. With satellites being portable, it might be worth locating one of the new satellites to service those devices needed Ethernet connection and see if there is a location for the other satellite that provides good coverage for the rest of the house.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7