Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: How to place Orbi RBK853 Satellite in Extender mode? Abandoning this system for now.

skott79
Guide

How to place Orbi RBK853 Satellite in Extender mode? Abandoning this system for now.

Hi all,

Like many of you I've had a ton of issues since the last firmware update on Orbi RBK850 with constant drops and disconnects, so I'm switching back to my old Netgear Nighthawk XR700 and I would like to use one of the my satellites as an Extender but the only tutorial I could find is here: https://kb.netgear.com/000060131/How-do-I-set-up-my-Orbi-Outdoor-Satellite-in-Extender-Mode

The new RBK850 satellites don't have a power button, you just plug them in, so I'm not sure what to do to get the satellite in to extender mode.  I'm assuming you hold the sync button down or the like but it doesn't seem to be syncing up with my Nighthawk. 

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Message 1 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: How to place Orbi RBK853 Satellite in Extender mode? Abandoning this system for now.

RBS850s do not support extender mode. Thats only for the RBSY outdoor satellite.

Turn OFF all wifi radios on the Xr700 router. Then configure the RBR for AP mode. This will get Orbi AX working while NG gets this fixed. 

@skott79 wrote:

Hi all,

Like many of you I've had a ton of issues since the last firmware update on Orbi RBK850 with constant drops and disconnects, so I'm switching back to my old Netgear Nighthawk XR700 and I would like to use one of the my satellites as an Extender but the only tutorial I could find is here: https://kb.netgear.com/000060131/How-do-I-set-up-my-Orbi-Outdoor-Satellite-in-Extender-Mode

The new RBK850 satellites don't have a power button, you just plug them in, so I'm not sure what to do to get the satellite in to extender mode.  I'm assuming you hold the sync button down or the like but it doesn't seem to be syncing up with my Nighthawk. 

Message 2 of 14
skott79
Guide

@FURRYe38 wrote:

RBS850s do not support extender mode. Thats only for the RBSY outdoor satellite.

Turn OFF all wifi radios on the Xr700 router. Then configure the RBR for AP mode. This will get Orbi AX working while NG gets this fixed. 

@skott79 wrote:

Hi all,

So, correct me if I'm wrong, but would I place my XR700 somewhere in my home as an extender? So I turn off the wifi radios on that, the Orbi router will still be my main router plugged in to my modem? Sorry, I've never done AP mode before so I want to make sure I'm doing this right. 

Message 3 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Like this:

ISP Modem to>XR700 router in router mode with wifi radios disable to>RBR configured in AP mode. 

Lan port on back of XR700 will connect to yellow WAN port on the back of the RBR in AP mode. Setup RBS normally. Shouldn't need any configuration on them. Might have to re-sync maybe. 

Can use same SSID name and PW as before while in AP mode.

The RBR will no longer be a router. Your XR700 will be. 

https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

I did this with my XR450 router for past several months. 

Message 4 of 14
skott79
Guide

Okay, so I disabled the SSID broadcast on my XR700, put the Orbi RBK850 in AP mode, and when I connect to my WiFi I’m getting no internet connection and the light on the Orbi is Magenta which means it’s not connected. FYI - both the XR700 and the Orbi have the same SSID name but I don’t know if that matters.

I’m at a loss of where I went wrong.
Message 5 of 14
skott79
Guide

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Like this:

ISP Modem to>XR700 router in router mode with wifi radios disable to>RBR configured in AP mode. 

Lan port on back of XR700 will connect to yellow WAN port on the back of the RBR in AP mode. Setup RBS normally. Shouldn't need any configuration on them. Might have to re-sync maybe. 

Can use same SSID name and PW as before while in AP mode.

The RBR will no longer be a router. Your XR700 will be. 

https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

I did this with my XR450 router for past several months. 

I realized the step I missed was after setting the Orbi to AP Mode I didn't plug it in to my XR700. Just did that, looks like the wifi is now working with my existing SSID. So after this, I can unplug the Orbi and go put it in my office about 25 feet from my router and it should reconnect as the AP? Then I can use one of the satellites with the Orbi? I'm gonna read through the documentation some more on this. Thanks!

Message 6 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

You should be good now. 

This will work in mean time while we wait for NG to figure this out. Sure is odd that some of us have not seen this issue since getting v10.11. Crazy times. 

Message 7 of 14
skott79
Guide

So, I’m getting the Magenta light again on the Orbi. I unplugged it from my XR700, moved the Orbi in AP mode to my office, plugged it in and it was pulsing white and then went to magenta. I tried pressing sync and that didn’t reconnect it. I’m assuming I’m going to have to leave it plugged in to my router from LAN to WAN?
Message 8 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes. LAN to WAN on the RBR. 

Is there a LAN cable connection out in the office from the XR700? 

Message 9 of 14
skott79
Guide

There is no LAN connection so I’m gonna try syncing one of the satellites with the Orbi router. I hope that will work.
Message 10 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, then leave the RBR with the XR700 and after syning the RBS wrielessly, you can move it to the office and it should work fine there remotely.

Message 11 of 14
skott79
Guide

Well, Orbi is working in AP mode plugged in to my XR700 via LAN -> WAN, but I cannot connect a satellite to my Orbi. This kind of defeats the purpose if I can't extend my network. I'll try the other satellite and see if that works. 

Message 12 of 14
skott79
Guide

That's the problem, it's not syncing wirelessly or I'm not doing it right. I press the sync button on the Orbi router when I plug it in my office but it's not working. Oh, and I now have a solid blue light on the Orbi satellite (was previously Magenta) so it looks like that's connected. 

Message 13 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

You have to press the sync button on the RBR AND the RBS on the first sync. After that you should only need to plug it in. Sounds like it's working. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7