Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How to set up Orbi RBK853 (AC6000) with Ethernet Backhaul

TDMWiFiGeek
Aspirant

How to set up Orbi RBK853 (AC6000) with Ethernet Backhaul

The Orbi model I just bought is RBK853 (AC6000) -- and successfully installed.  This is a guide to what I found (eventually) worked.  I am now getting 400-500+ Mbps on wifi.

My installation has one Orbi router and 2 Orbi satelites.  Both satelites are cabled for ethernet backhaul, which increases 2-3X wifi speeds.

The backhaul cables connect to the Orbi router via ethernet outlets in my walls, connnecting to a swith panel next to my Orbi router.

This is the (clean) sequence for my install out-of-the-box:

1. Download and install Orbi app to smartphone. Start app and follow instructions up to point app says to unplug ISP modem.

2. Later, found I needed to first RESET my AT&T gateway (modem). Button on back panel. Waited for all green lights on gateway. Now back to Orbi app sequence.

3. Plug ethernet cable (Cat 6 or higher) between Orbi router "Internet" (yellow) outlet and (any standard) ISP modem outlet.

4. Plug power into Orbi router.  Follow Orbi app instructions to connect to internet and configure SSID.

5. Place satelite(s) at ends of house/apt near an ethernet access wall outlet.

6. Locate the ethernet access port that connects to the wall outlet near your Satelite. Mine was on my AT&T utlity panel (ISP entry point).

7. Connect ethernet cable (Cat 6+) between access port and rear of Orbi router.

8. Connect ethernet cable (Cat 6+) between wall outlet and rear of Satelite.

9. Plug power into Satelite.  Will take a few minutes to connect to Orbi router, blinking white.

10. Repeat steps 5-9 with your other Satelite(s). Will take a few minutes to initialize with Orbi router.

11. Test WiFi connectivity and speeds using Orbi app.

12. If connectivity poor and/or speeds slow, unplug modem, router and satelites. Wait 30 secs. Power up ISP modem, wait for all green lights, power up Orbi router & satelites. Wait a few minutes to initialize.  

13. Test connectivity and speeds with Orbi app.

Your Orbi router should have 1 ethernet cable to your ISP modem, plus 1 ethernet cable to each of your satelites.  Your satelites should each have 1 ethernet cable back to your Orbi router.

Hope this helps.  Good luck!

Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: How to set up Orbi RBK853 (AC6000) with Ethernet Backhaul

Message 2 of 4
TDMWiFiGeek
Aspirant

That page gave me the clue on what I was doing wrong BTW.  Instruction manual does not have a section on backhaul cabling & installation, and it should!  

The diagram should also show a cable going back to the modem from the Internet port, so it's clear that the other cables are between the router and the satelites.  Only by staring at it did I realize I had to add cables to the back of the router to connect to the satelites.

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya details are good however, the Internet port is a given that for the RBR, in router or AP mode, this port is only used to connect to the ISP Modem or upstream router. 

Ya or at least reference that KB link in the user manual would be good too. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7