Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: I need an advise to better split the devices between the router and the satellite I have.

Lewes1973
Aspirant

I need an advise to better split the devices between the router and the satellite I have.

I need an advise to better split the devices between the router and the satellite I have.

My setup: Router in the house, satellite in the garage. Distance is around 15 meters with multiple walls. The 2 devices connected by Ethernet cable.

Majority of the devices (around 40) are in the house and properly connecting to the main device (router)

I have 5 devices in the garage, all of them within 2 meters from the satellite. Out of the 5 devices, 2 are connected to the satellite, as expected, but the other 3 (Eufy camera, Meross garage door opener, Netatmo Presence camera) are connected to the main unit, even if their own management software shows, that their wifi coverage (signal) is below 10%. In some rare cases, some of them connected to the satellite with 100% wifi signal, but very soon going back to the main router.

Any advise, how to force them to use the stronger signal? I tried to lower the wifi signal in the config to 25% without any luck...

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: I need an advise to better split the devices between the router and the satellite I have.

Its their own roaming protocol that makes them choose which to connect to. 

did you try powering the devices off and back on? Maybe'll they'll connect to the stronger signal on a reboot. 

Other option is a cheap extender that you hardwire to t he satellite and set with its own ssid to force them to connect to. 

Ruins the point of a mesh but you can't fix someone else's poor coding. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 8

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Its their own roaming protocol that makes them choose which to connect to. 

did you try powering the devices off and back on? Maybe'll they'll connect to the stronger signal on a reboot. 

Other option is a cheap extender that you hardwire to t he satellite and set with its own ssid to force them to connect to. 

Ruins the point of a mesh but you can't fix someone else's poor coding. 

Message 2 of 8
Lewes1973
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply. I tried to reboot the devices, but did not help 😞

Message 3 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

How many RBS are deployed? 
What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR📡 and RBS🛰️ to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite ‌‌🛰

What CAT# cable are you using to connect the RBS to the RBR? 

Is the RBS directly connected to the RBR or is there a LAN switch in between them? 

Message 4 of 8
Lewes1973
Aspirant

How many RBS are deployed? 2
What is the size of your home? Sq Ft? 100 Square meter
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS ️ to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. -> around 15 meters
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite ‌‌

What CAT# cable are you using to connect the RBS to the RBR? CAT 5e/6

Is the RBS directly connected to the RBR or is there a LAN switch in between them? Directly.

Message 5 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

For that kind of size, two RBS maybe too much. Try turning OFF one RBS. 

https://youtu.be/UR0viMLISz4

Message 6 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

@Lewes1973 wrote:

Thanks for the reply. I tried to reboot the devices, but did not help 😞

A device that is 2m from a WiFi access point choosing an access point that is 15m away is not logical.

Perhaps the device software has remembered the actual MAC address of the access point that it was configured with and seeks that MAC address. (Rather than seeking only for the SSID and selecting the access point with the strongest signal.)

What if you select one of the problem devices and do a "reset" on it (rather than simply reboot)?  (My practice with setting up Internet of Things (IoT) devices is to do it while sitting comfortably near the router (rather than, for example, while standing on a step ladder in a noisy environment).  They have always selected the nearest WiFi access point when moved to a permanent location, but I've never done a Eufy or Neatamo.

Message 7 of 8
plemans
Guru

I've got a Eufy vacuum and it has no problem connecting to my satellites. I don't have a neatamo though.
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7