Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Can't find Orbi RBR750 after factory reset

dbnorton
Tutor

I really hope they are able to fix this soon...

I really hope they are able to fix this soon.  I really don't want to have to completely factory reset my router!!  I have a lot of home automation stuff that would all have to be touched.  Most of those devices had static IP's setup.  This is like a perfect storm for me as I lost a hard drive on one of my PC's that had my backup on it and now its gone!  I even nmap'd the router IP and only 2 ports are showing open ports 53 and 5000.  This really sucks!

Message 1 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure you have a backup configuration to file for safe keeping. A factory reset maybe needed. 

@dbnorton wrote:

I really hope they are able to fix this soon.  I really don't want to have to completely factory reset my router!!  I have a lot of home automation stuff that would all have to be touched.  Most of those devices had static IP's setup.  This is like a perfect storm for me as I lost a hard drive on one of my PC's that had my backup on it and now its gone!  I even nmap'd the router IP and only 2 ports are showing open ports 53 and 5000.  This really sucks!

Message 2 of 16
ecw
Guide
Guide

My Orbi login bombed out today (05/08/2022) as well.  I have an Android w/o zero updates recently.  I can't log into it via the browser on my desktop nor the app on my phone.

Did NetGear push out an update today or recently that might have caused this?  I can't log in to check to see if it was updated obviously.

E

Message 3 of 16
mcdan
Tutor

At around my Orbi went offline May-07-22 ~@9:14 UTC. As a lot of folks in this thread I haven't been able to reach the management UI at all.

nmap -O 192.168.1.1
Starting Nmap 7.92 ( https://nmap.org ) at 2022-05-07 19:48 EDT
Nmap scan report for 192.168.1.1
Host is up (0.0063s latency).
Not shown: 998 closed tcp ports (reset)
PORT     STATE SERVICE
53/tcp   open  domain
5000/tcp open  upnp
MAC Address: 08:36:C9:78:11:6F (Netgear)
Device type: WAP
Running: Linux 3.X|4.X
OS CPE: cpe:/o:linux:linux_kernel:3.18 cpe:/o:linux:linux_kernel:4.1
OS details: OpenWrt Chaos Calmer 15.05 (Linux 3.18) or Designated Driver (Linux 4.1 or 4.4)
Network Distance: 1 hop

It's clear the HTTP port isn't even open. So there is no way to manage the router. I cannot mange the router at all, they have effectively bricked the device.

All my devices connect to the internet fine, even more advanced things like the VPN are working. Forcing down an update that breaks such an obvious part of the system is really huge mistake.

There are a lot of people having this exact problem: https://www.reddit.com/r/orbi/comments/ukmdhw/orbi_providing_wifi_and_connecting_to_internet/

Message 4 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: I really hope they are able to fix this soon...

Have people tried a factory reset and setup from scratch using a wired PC and web browser pointed to HTTP and 192.168.1.1? 

Message 5 of 16
mcdan
Tutor

I have not tried personally. If I factory reset won't they push the same firmware back to me again at some point and won't I be right back here again?

If they can force a firmware update to fix this that would be much easier than asking everyone to set everything back up again from factory default. Given that they forced a firmware update that broke this for at least some subset of users. How many people just haven't looked at their Management UI lately, probably loads.

Message 6 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

I looked at my 7 series this morning. I set it back to v.13 last nite. Re-updated to v2 this morning at 1AM. I was able to get in to the RBRs web page fine using HTTP. Also Orbi app is working too. Thought I have Private Address and IP Tracking disabled on my phone. Orbi is in AP mode as well. I'll be trying Router mode later today. 

Message 7 of 16
ecw
Guide
Guide

Ouch... Confirmed with Netgear that is was a firmware update to the latest version and the ONLY way to fix it is a 30/30/30 factory reset.
Message 8 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

With the router plugged in and powered on, depress the reset button for 30 seconds. This button is usually a tiny dot recessed into the back of the router. You may need a jeweler's screwdriver or a bent paperclip to access it.
While still holding down the button, unplug the router from its power source for another 30 seconds.
With the reset button still held down, turn the power back on and hold for another 30 seconds.

Message 9 of 16
retromad
Star

Just a suggestion here, maybe netgear could backup the devices it is updating prior to pushing out updates?  If a hard reset is part of the recommended actions post update, netgear should be allowing the schedule of said updates.  Alternatively, I am sure most users would not mind providing a google drive or other cloud storage area for storing a file that could save them 3 hours of reconfig.

Message 10 of 16
ecw
Guide
Guide

I haven't performed the factory reset yet as I can't do that in the middle of the work day. Once I 30/30/30 reset it later, I will post the results.

I do have a family member that has the same model of Orbi but is running 4.6.5.14. that previous version is stable. The hot mess started when 4.6.8.2 was forced/auto updates to my router.
Message 11 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

You might try re-loading the v.2 FW manually on the RBS then RBR lastly and see if this also helps clear out this problem as well. I normally manually update. AU seems to cause more problems than it's worth. Hoping NG will get this fixed. 

@ecw wrote:
I haven't performed the factory reset yet as I can't do that in the middle of the work day. Once I 30/30/30 reset it later, I will post the results.

I do have a family member that has the same model of Orbi but is running 4.6.5.14. that previous version is stable. The hot mess started when 4.6.8.2 was forced/auto updates to my router.

Message 12 of 16
defihodl
Initiate

Agreed. I cannot do a full reset with a house full of people working from home. And, I do not want to reconfigure my attached devices. I will just wait for another update. I just hope I will not need to connect to the router in the meantime.

Message 13 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Make contact with NG support and ask for help on this. 

Message 14 of 16
sprizle
Aspirant

Agree. Same issue persists as of May 24. Many devices with static IPs. If I have to factory reset, I'll use this time to upgrade to another brand of router. Very frustrating issue.

Message 15 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Make contact with NG support and ask for help on this. 

Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 10 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7