Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

I recently swapped out my old Wifi Setup for: RBRE960 v.6.0.3.85_3.1.15

bharrisii
Aspirant

I recently swapped out my old Wifi Setup for: RBRE960 v.6.0.3.85_3.1.15

I recently swapped out my old Wifi Setup for: RBRE960 v.6.0.3.85_3.1.15.  I have the hub in AP mode with a static IP wired into a Pfsense FW with the WAN Internet and a port going to a core switch for wired ethernet hosts.  DHCP is being managed on the core switch.  Regular wireless clients work fine.  However, guest Wifi clients have no Internet.  I have had it behind the pfsense FW and it seems temperamental, where it may or may not be magenta with no Internet access indicated on the web interface.

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
bharrisii
Aspirant

Re: I recently swapped out my old Wifi Setup for: RBRE960 v.6.0.3.85_3.1.15

Almost embarrassed what the issue was.  So I *thought* had an internal DNS server and a public DNS assigned in the web GUI.  For the clients DNS was assigned via DHCP.  I have had the internal DNS server down as I have been redoing the home lab.  For some reason only the internal DNS server was configured.  This would explain the Hub complaining of not having Internet and the DHCP WiFi working fine.  The guest was getting just internal and since it is isolated, it was hard to determine the root cause.

Thank you for the suggestions.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 8

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

I would check your firewall or switch to be sure to allow guest networking traffic to be passed thru. I believe the guest network IP address subnet is different from 192.168.1.#, I think it's 192.168.2.#

Message 2 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

I thought in AP mode the Orbi does not assign IPs and the user must have a separate DHCP server?

Message 3 of 8
bharrisii
Aspirant

I set up a DHCP server on the FW interface the Hub is connected to.  Works for the standard WiFi, but have no control over the guest or IoT.

Message 4 of 8
bharrisii
Aspirant

Almost embarrassed what the issue was.  So I *thought* had an internal DNS server and a public DNS assigned in the web GUI.  For the clients DNS was assigned via DHCP.  I have had the internal DNS server down as I have been redoing the home lab.  For some reason only the internal DNS server was configured.  This would explain the Hub complaining of not having Internet and the DHCP WiFi working fine.  The guest was getting just internal and since it is isolated, it was hard to determine the root cause.

Thank you for the suggestions.

Message 5 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

Could you make a diagram (pencil on paper is fine) showing how these components are connected?

"on the FW interface the Hub is connected to"

implies (to me) that the pfSense Fire Wall is responding to DHCP requests from the Orbi router (Hub).

Can the DHCP server create a log of requests and assignments?

Message 6 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

sorry, I didn't see the solution.  was typing.  My Bad

Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Been told that when in AP mode Guest Network isn't supported in this mode.

@bharrisii wrote:

I set up a DHCP server on the FW interface the Hub is connected to.  Works for the standard WiFi, but have no control over the guest or IoT.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7