Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: IP reservations for Synology NAS

cbruiners
Initiate

IP reservations for Synology NAS

I have an new RBR853 setup, all is going great (day 3), but I'm struggling with assigning a internal static IP to point to my Synology NAS box.

I logged into the web portal of the Router -> Advanced -> Lan Setup

I added to the IP and the Mac address of the Synology, using 10.0.0.130 (the DHCP server range is 10.0.0.2 to 10.0.0.254), now I've read conflicting posts saying I need to use one within the .2 to .254 range and others saying outside of the this range.

Alas, the 10.0.0.130 didn't map to the NAS box and didn't work, it also caused my Orbi router to crash out after applying the change.

Does anyone have a step by step on how to confligure my Orbi with a NAS (doesn't have to be Synology), as I can't see where I'm going wrong but clearly its not working either.

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

@cbruiners wrote:

Thanks Furrye38, I do mean a reservation on the Orbi, not assigning a static IP on the NAS box.

Are you saying that I should change the IP pool (which then limits the DHCP allocation) to 10.0.0.100 to .200 for static IP's set on devices but for IP reservation I can / should leave the IP pool range as is? Yes. And just try assigning 10.0.0.130 to the NAS (I'll check the current usage pool to make sure no other device is using that IP address).

And lastly, is there a preference between IP reservation and setting a static IP on a device? I like the idea of doing at the router as its a centralised list for me to manage, rather than on the device and router, but happy to accept otherwise. For devices that don't need much router management, devices like NAS, cameras and printers, where you don't manage the network configuration on these devices alot, static is preferred. I use the static method on my NAS, printers and cameras. The IP address doesn't change and if I happen to put another router online, I can do same thing on different router and all my devices that use static reconnect with no user configurations needed. Devices always have same IP address which doesn't change and easy to remember. 

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure to understand:
Static IP addresses are set ON devices.

Reserved IP addresses are set ON the router/RBR

Make sure your device doesn't a static IP address set already on the NAS. Set it for Automatic. 

For Reserved IP addresses set on the router, they need to be with in the default IP address pool >10.0.0.2 to 10.0.0.254

If you want to use a static IP address ON the NAS, then change the default IP address pool from>10.0.0.2 to 10.0.0.254 to

10.0.0.100 to 10.0.0.200

This is recommended so you have room on either side of the pool for static IP addressed devices like NAS, Cameras, printers and such that don't need much router management. 

Message 2 of 4
cbruiners
Initiate

Thanks Furrye38, I do mean a reservation on the Orbi, not assigning a static IP on the NAS box.

Are you saying that I should change the IP pool (which then limits the DHCP allocation) to 10.0.0.100 to .200 for static IP's set on devices but for IP reservation I can / should leave the IP pool range as is? And just try assigning 10.0.0.130 to the NAS (I'll check the current usage pool to make sure no other device is using that IP address).

And lastly, is there a preference between IP reservation and setting a static IP on a device? I like the idea of doing at the router as its a centralised list for me to manage, rather than on the device and router, but happy to accept otherwise.

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

@cbruiners wrote:

Are you saying that I should change the IP pool (which then limits the DHCP allocation) to 10.0.0.100 to .200 for static IP's set on devices but for IP reservation I can / should leave the IP pool range as is? Yes. And just try assigning 10.0.0.130 to the NAS (I'll check the current usage pool to make sure no other device is using that IP address).

And lastly, is there a preference between IP reservation and setting a static IP on a device? I like the idea of doing at the router as its a centralised list for me to manage, rather than on the device and router, but happy to accept otherwise. For devices that don't need much router management, devices like NAS, cameras and printers, where you don't manage the network configuration on these devices alot, static is preferred. I use the static method on my NAS, printers and cameras. The IP address doesn't change and if I happen to put another router online, I can do same thing on different router and all my devices that use static reconnect with no user configurations needed. Devices always have same IP address which doesn't change and easy to remember. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7