Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: IP6 configuration - router versus whatismyip values

micks_address
Aspirant

IP6 configuration - router versus whatismyip values

Hi folks,

I've enabled IPv6 on my orbi and used 'auto config; on the router i can see the 'ipv6 address on the WAN' but when i go to whatismyipaddress.com the value displayed there is not the same. Its not the same either for the ipv values but that is due to cgnat? for ip4 the router address is 100.x.x.x and and on whatismyipaddress is 145.x.x.x

For ip6 the first 8 values are the same but then they differ. I'm trying to do port forwarding on my router which does work but for ip4 cgnat prevents it - i thought i would get the same ipv6 address on the router and external

Thanks,

Mick

Message 1 of 5
micks_address
Aspirant

ok some updates.

What i am trying to do is access my home assistant running on rasperry pi remotely. I have followed guides to set this up using duckdns and nginx and it works when i am on the same wifi as the rasperrypi. I can use the url from duckdns and it will load my home assistant. Once i switch to another network it doesnt work. I have port 8126 port forwarded on my orbi so requests to the router IP (which is cgnat) get forward to the home assistant. 

I'm confident i can't use IP4 for this due to cgnat but ive seen i should be able to use ip6. So i enabled ipv6 with autoconfig and i can see a ip6 assigned to my router. I put this in duckdns ipv6 option but it still doesnt forward to home assistant. 

Is what I'm doing possible? Is the router blocking the ip6 request from duckdns? does duckdns use ip4 and ip6 at same time? if it can't find ip4 will it use the ip6 etc?

Apologies if not making any sense.

Cheers,

Mick

Message 2 of 5
micks_address
Aspirant

ok so another update.. i added the ip6 address of my rasperry pi to duckdns and it works.. i can browse the home assistant using the duckdns url.. it only works from devices connected to my network though.. once i switch my phones wifi off and use lte the connection fails and times out 

Message 3 of 5
plemans
Guru

What modem/gateway is the orbi connected to? 

Message 4 of 5
micks_address
Aspirant

connected to starlink modem running in 'bypass' mode

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements