Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Internet dropping for one device

LeslieF
Aspirant

Internet dropping for one device

I have had the system (RBK853) for many months, and it has been largely working fine.  For this particular device (my computer in my bedroom), the satellite will drop the internet connection from time to time, but it is always resolved by itself.  However, last night, no matter what I did, I could not get an internet connection.  I connected it to my phone's mobile hotspot (and my phone was connected to the satellite), and it worked perfectly. So it was not a hardware issue.  As I said, I've been using the same hardware for months without a problem (only once in a while will there be an internet dropping). I can't believe this system costs so much and it requires this much work from me.  I would have purchased another satellite, so I could have a wired connection to my computer if it didn't cost so much.  I can get a whole Eero system for the price of one satellite unit.

Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Internet dropping for one device

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6 is recommended. 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS🛰️ to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite ‌‌🛰

What channels are you using? Auto? Try Auto and 48 on 5Ghz. Or try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Message 2 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

@LeslieF wrote:

However, last night, no matter what I did, I could not get an internet connection.

(assuming this is a desktop computer, which makes moving it around the house and connecting to other Orbi units impractical...)

When behavior changes, one often wonders "what happened?" to cause this.

• Software update on the computer?
  • Software update on the network?
  • Or.....?

There is a difference between having a WiFi connection and having an Internet connection. Do you recall the specifics? It would be interesting to know what the Orbi management system said about the connection.  Did it show the computer connected?

It would be a fairly simple experiment to swap the two satellites and see if the problem persists.

Message 3 of 6
LeslieF
Aspirant

I went back and checked earlier today.  I found that one of the satellites was not behaving.  When I checked the "detail" of the satellite, it didn't show the firmware version.  So I rebooted it.  Then it started to update its firmware (it was two versions behind).  Now it seems everything is working again.  This is bad, Netgear.  Nothing indicated the satellite was not ok.  Everything connected to the third satellite (this satellite was the bridge between the router and the third satellite) worked, including my other computer on ethernet and a newly added NAS (also on ethernet).  I guess I'll have to somehow run a really long cat6 ethernet cable to ensure uptime.  Also, is there any way I can reboot the satellites?  The reboot function in the app only reboots the router.  

Message 4 of 6
LeslieF
Aspirant

That's the thing, I didn't do anything to the computer (yes, it's a full tower desktop).  I usually just turn on the computer and watch some shows before I go to bed.  But as in my other reply, it seems one of the satellites was acting weird.  IDK, every other device was ok, except that computer.  Windows diagnostic kept saying it had to fix the gateway.  When I check the properties, it shows the correct gateway.  It was connected to the network, just didn't have Internet.  I even configured the computer manually (changed the IP and specified the gateway).  What got me was that it worked flawlessly when I connected it to my phone.  So it was not my computer hardware or software or its settings.

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Maybe some feedback on the questions presented can help...

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7