Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: IoT and Mesh Satellites

Amirlit
Guide

IoT and Mesh Satellites

HI There,

I have the Mesh 6E. I have 1 Router and 2 Satellites. I have an old Carrier Infinity Thermostat. I setup my IoT Wi-Fi for 2.4gz only. It sees the IOT SSID, however, it sees it across all 3 devices. Can I disable MESH for IoT? Any suggestions how to map the Thermostat directly to a specific device? The problem is it connects and then drops the connections. Its super annoying. Im not sure what additional settings to use to allow it to connect properly.

Amir

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
Mikey94025
Hero

@Amirlit wrote:
When I do a search for Wi-Fi ssids on the thermostat, I see 3 IOT ids. I should only see one. When I try to connect, it fails sometimes and sometimes it works. It’s so hit or miss.

It is normal for some devices to show all the individual points for an SSID, since your router and each satellite are broadcasting.  Just pick one and it should work.  Your problem of "it connects and then drops the connections" is due to something else that we need to address, not the multiple IoT SSIDs.

To improve compatibility with your thermostat, try disabling AX mode for the 2.4Ghz band (it's in Advanced / Wireless Setup).  If that doesn't work, try setting CTS/RTS Threshold for at least 2.4Ghz to 2347 (it's in Advanced / Advanced / Wireless Settings).

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 6

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

No. 

What do you mean it's seen across the all 3 devices? Technically it should see 3 of the orbi devices however it's display of the SSID names maybe a mis-handling on the one devices part as it reporting seeing many wfif signals. That some that the devices Mfrs handles here.

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected

What is the distance of the device from the RBR and RBS? 

Message 2 of 6
Amirlit
Guide

When I do a search for Wi-Fi ssids on the thermostat, I see 3 IOT ids. I should only see one. When I try to connect, it fails sometimes and sometimes it works. It’s so hit or miss.

The distance is about 20ft between router and thermostat with a wall between them. The other sat is also about 30 ft with a couple walls between them.

Amir
Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, the display of 3 SSIDs names on the devices is the mfr not properly handling of the SSID name for MESH systems. Something they need to review. Thats a mfr device handling thing. 

Possible that the device is ping ponging back and forth between the RBR and RBS. Something we saw on NEST thermostat a while back. 
This was handled both in part by NG and NEST. 

Also 20ft maybe too close from the device to the RBR. 

Might try turning down the transmit power on the RBR from 100% to 50%. 

Message 4 of 6
Mikey94025
Hero

@Amirlit wrote:

It is normal for some devices to show all the individual points for an SSID, since your router and each satellite are broadcasting.  Just pick one and it should work.  Your problem of "it connects and then drops the connections" is due to something else that we need to address, not the multiple IoT SSIDs.

To improve compatibility with your thermostat, try disabling AX mode for the 2.4Ghz band (it's in Advanced / Wireless Setup).  If that doesn't work, try setting CTS/RTS Threshold for at least 2.4Ghz to 2347 (it's in Advanced / Advanced / Wireless Settings).

Message 5 of 6
Amirlit
Guide

That seems to have worked. Will update this thread if it keeps bouncing!

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7