Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Is 6.3.7 10 the newest 960 firmware?

ShawnC
Apprentice

Is 6.3.7 10 the newest 960 firmware?

Is 6.3.7 10 the newest firmware for the 960 series? No matter what I do this firmware drops all recognition of wired devices. And Yes, I already tried that. Grr. 

The only way to get my wired devices back is to downgrade to 6.3.75. And it seems I am far from the only one experiencing this. 

My post history will show the frustrations I (and many others) have had with Orbi firmware. Why is it so difficult to deliver what you promise?

Message 1 of 10
CrimpOn
Guru

Yes, v6.3.7.10 is the latest firmware for the RBRE960 product:

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/rbre960#download 

This statement is a bit ambiguous:

@ShawnC wrote:

And Yes, I already tried that. Grr.

Not having a 960, I have not followed discussion of that product.  Sorry not to have anything positive to contribute.

Message 2 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6A STP is recommended.

What wired devices do you have connected? 

How are they connected? To the back of the RBR or RBS? 
Any LAN switches in the mix? Brand and model please.

How was the system FW updated? Manually or via Auto Update? 

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? A complete pull of the power adapters for a period of time after the factory reset then walk thru the setup wizard and setup from scratch with a wired PC and web browser. https://kb.netgear.com/22697/How-do-I-install-my-NETGEAR-router-using-the-router-web-interface
Recommend setting the default DHCP IP address pool range to the following after applying and a factory reset: 192.168.#.100 to 192.168.#.200.
https://kb.netgear.com/24089/How-do-I-specify-the-pool-of-IP-addresses-assigned-by-my-Nighthawk-rout...
I would power OFF the ISP modem for 1 minute. Factory reset the Orbi router and power it off. Power ON the ISP modem and let it sync. Then power ON the Orbi router and walk thru the setup wizard again using a wired PC and a web browser.
Press the back reset button for 15 seconds then release. 
https://kb.netgear.com/31486/How-do-I-reset-my-Orbi-system-to-factory-default-settings
https://kb.netgear.com/000062081/How-do-I-erase-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System

Your post history only shows you were using a Orbi Pro. Completely different from Orbi Home stuff. My 960 has been working great for me. 

@ShawnC wrote:

Is 6.3.7 10 the newest firmware for the 960 series? No matter what I do this firmware drops all recognition of wired devices. And Yes, I already tried that. Grr. 

The only way to get my wired devices back is to downgrade to 6.3.75. And it seems I am far from the only one experiencing this. 

My post history will show the frustrations I (and many others) have had with Orbi firmware. Why is it so difficult to deliver what you promise?

Message 3 of 10
Mikey94025
Hero

@ShawnC wrote:

Can you tell us more about how your RBR960 doesn't allow your wired devices to connect?  I am running 6.3.7.10 and don't have any problems with my wired devices.  When you say "drops all recognition" do you mean they work (have internet) but just don't show up in the app or orbilogin.com, but do have internet connectivity?  The Orbi devices list is often inaccurate but I fortunately don't depend upon it.

If your issue is that your wired devices lack internet, then that is a serious problem but not one commonly reported here.  Please describe how your devices are wired, from the modem to the RBR960 to your wired devices.  Do you have a switch anywhere (before, behind, between)?

Message 4 of 10
ShawnC
Apprentice

Just an fyi… have been putting off this update as every update so far leaves me with no wired devices, even after performing the factory reset “fix” multiple times. Just applied the 7.2.6.21 update on my router and two sats (following the steps in this post) and once again I’ve lost all wired devices. 

I’m going to try the factory reset trick now to see what happens, if it fails again I guess I am back to the original 6.x firmware. 

There are no switches in this equation, my wired devices are directly connected to my router and sats. Wired devices work fine with the old firmware. With any new firmware, my wired devices do not show and do not receive dhcp addresses, I have to assign IPs manually. 

One small positive… with the newest firmware, my Orbi router is experiencing a 10% average speed increase from my ISP.

Message 5 of 10
ShawnC
Apprentice

Sorry that I left you all hanging here… I’ve posted an update in the newest firmware release thread. 

Message 6 of 10
CrimpOn
Guru

Please note that firmware v7.2.6.21 was released Oct 6 for the 960.

https://kb.netgear.com/000065814/RBRE960-RBSE960-Firmware-Version-7-2-6-21-for-all-regions-except-Eu... 

(No idea if it will have any impact on this specific problem.)

Message 7 of 10
ShawnC
Apprentice

Thank you.

Updated to it today and it also removes my wired devices. So frustrating. 

For the record, there are no switches in this network, it’s flat. The wired devices are connected directly to the router and sats. 

Im going to try the factory reset trick again tomorrow on the newest firmware. 

Message 8 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

How are the RBS ethernet connected? 

What CAT# cable are you using? If the RBS are ethernet connected using there 2.5Gb ethernet ports, CAT6A STP is recommended. If there using the 1Gb LAN ports, then CAT6 UTP is recommended. There IS a difference between STP and UTP cabling. 

@ShawnC wrote:

Thank you.

Updated to it today and it also removes my wired devices. So frustrating. 

For the record, there are no switches in this network, it’s flat. The wired devices are connected directly to the router and sats. 

Im going to try the factory reset trick again tomorrow on the newest firmware. 

Message 9 of 10
ShawnC
Apprentice

Thank you.

The wired devices are using new (well a few months old now) cat7 cables from monoprice. I have tried switching cables around to no avail, and I have tested these cables with my fluke lanmeter. 

The router and sats are in the same exact spots as my previous Orbi Pro were in. 

I did the factory reset trick today and now I can see some of the wired devices (yay!), I will troubleshoot some more tomorrow

One of the weirdest parts of this issue.. I can see one of my wire attached servers but not any VMs running on it. I could see those VMs fine with the older firmware. Has anyone else had an issue with virtual devices running on barebones ESXi?

Thanks again for the assistance. 

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7