Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Is a wired satellite able to give Wi-Fi devices signal?

bryn41
Follower

Is a wired satellite able to give Wi-Fi devices signal?

This may be a dumb question but I have an Orbi system - AXE10000 - with two satellites. One is wired and one is connected via wi-fi. When I check in the app, the only device that shows as being connected to the wired satellite is an Apple TV that is hardwired into it. All other devices seem to be connecting to the wi-fi- connected satellite despite it being significantly farther away. My question is: does hardwiring an Orbi satellite prevents its Wi-Fi functionality in some way?

(It is worth note that the wired satellite is located behind a television. Is that causing sufficient interference to cause what I am seeing?)

Thank you for any input and guidance.

Message 1 of 3
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Is a wired satellite able to give Wi-Fi devices signal?

@bryn41 wrote:

My question is: does hardwiring an Orbi satellite prevents its Wi-Fi functionality in some way?

Absolutely not.  Satellites broadcast WiFi no matter how they are connected to the router.

(It is worth note that the wired satellite is located behind a television. Is that causing sufficient interference to cause what I am seeing?)

Yes.  Metal interferes with WiFi signals.

Message 2 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Is a wired satellite able to give Wi-Fi devices signal?

How is the RBS connected to the RBR? 
Directly in back of the RBR or is there a LAN switch in between? 

Are you using the 2.5Gb port on the RBS and RBR or the 1Gb ports? 

What CAT# lan cable are you using? CAT6A STP is recommended for 2.5Gb ports. CAT6 UTP for 1Gb ports. 

https://kb.netgear.com/000051205/What-is-Ethernet-backhaul-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-Sy... 📡

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS🛰️ to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Placement of the RBS behind a TV could cause some problems. 3-6 feet distance away from other electronics is recommended. 

@bryn41 wrote:

This may be a dumb question but I have an Orbi system - AXE10000 - with two satellites. One is wired and one is connected via wi-fi. When I check in the app, the only device that shows as being connected to the wired satellite is an Apple TV that is hardwired into it. All other devices seem to be connecting to the wi-fi- connected satellite despite it being significantly farther away. My question is: does hardwiring an Orbi satellite prevents its Wi-Fi functionality in some way?

Thank you for any input and guidance.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7