Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Is there anyway to get devices to connect to the nearest satellite?

kirkmc
Tutor

Is there anyway to get devices to connect to the nearest satellite?

I have MetGear Orbi system with a router and three satellites. One of the satellites is in my TV room, which has four Sonos devices. None of these devices connect to that sate, but connect to one downstairs. It would seem more efficient if they connected to the that’s just a few feet away.
Message 1 of 5
plemans
Guru

it would be more efficient. Problem is that its the device itself (pc/laptop/phone/sonos) that decides which satellite/router to connect to. About the only thing you can change is the distance between router/satellites and the broadcast power. The rest is on the device to decide which to connect to. 

So you can try moving the satellites further away or if they're to close and can't be moved, you can try turning the ssid broadcast power down. Sometimes this makes them more likely to roam. 

Message 2 of 5
ekhalil
Master

Yes, it's the device (not the AP) who decides which AP to connect to. Sonos speakers are examples of "sticky" devices who will connect to the first available AP.

I have Sonos speakers and I noticed the same but also seen that eventually they move to better AP's after couple of days, so seems it takes them time to decide to roam.

Message 3 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

@kirkmc wrote:
I have MetGear Orbi system with a router and three satellites. One of the satellites is in my TV room, which has four Sonos devices. None of these devices connect to that sate, but connect to one downstairs. It would seem more efficient if they connected to the that’s just a few feet away.

As others have pointed out, the device determines which WiFi access point it will connect to.  When a mesh system starts up, the base unit (in this case the Orbi router) usually begins broadcasting the WiFi SSID first.  Devices which are waiting for an SSID to appear (that they recognize), may connect to this access point and then stop searching.  Devices which are intended to be mobile (i.e. to "roam") may have software that constantly searches for a better connection.  Devices which are expected to remain in the same place (TVs, speakers, cameras, garage door openers, etc. etc.) may quit looking.

Something that people have tried is to deliberately power the device off and back on, which will force it to search for a WiFi connection again.  If the nearby satellite has a better connection, the device may choose it.

Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite 📡

Also try turning down the power output of the RBRs wifi radios from 100% to 50% and see if this changes anything. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7