Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Issues connecting AP to Orbi network

Lewis2e
Star

Issues connecting AP to Orbi network

I have an Orbi network (RBR750 and two RBS750 satellites). In itself, this works great.

I want to connect an access point to the network. I am trying to use a Netgear WAX204 in AP mode. The AP is wired via ethernet to the Orbi (via a couple of switches), and is broadcasting a separate SSID to the Orbi.

This is not working. Any device connecting to the AP's wifi (or directly via ethernet to the AP) is unable to access the internet (or any devices on the Orbi LAN).

I ... think... the issue is that the Orbi router is refusing to give the AP device an IP address (or otherwise letting it register itself... somehow). My theory is based on:

1. Logging into the AP's web interface, I can see that it is trying to use 192.168.1.1 as its IP, which would conflict with the Orbi router and would not have been issued to it. It also shows blanks for the DHCP lease details, so again I don't think it's being given an IP by the Orbi router. LED light on the AP is irregularly flashing Orange.
  2. Connecting the AP to my phone via Ethernet tethering works fine. Devices connecting to the AP can access the internet via the phone's WAN. LED light on the AP is Green.

As such, I think the issue is something to do with the Orbi router. Can anyone recommend what settings I might check? I am a personal user and not hugely experienced in networking.

Message 1 of 16

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Once its attached to the router and has its own ip address assigned, can you set it with a reserved ip address? 

Once thats done, power it off and try connecting it directly to the satellite and powering it on. 

If that works, then try it through the switch. 

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 16

All Replies
plemans
Guru

I know this sounds stupid but that AP has a router mode and an access point mode. Have you checked to ensure its actually in access point mode? 

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/wax204.aspx

Message 2 of 16
Lewis2e
Star

Hi

Not at all, I appreciate any efforts to help. And I apprecaite why you are asking the question, as I know what I am describing sounds like I've left it in router mode.

I can confirm that it is definitely in AP mode. It actually has three modes - (1) Router (2) AP and (3) Bridge. It's in AP mode.

I'll try and get a screenshot (just have to jump on my other PC).

Message 3 of 16
plemans
Guru

In ap mode, the primary router should be assigning an IP address to it and the AP not trying to pull its own. 
I've got a similar ap (WAX218) and it has no issues connecting to my orbi router. 

Is there a smart switch or other controller in there? 

What firmware is on the WAX? 

did you try factory resetting the WAX and starting over? 

Message 4 of 16
Lewis2e
Star

>In ap mode, the primary router should be assigning an IP address to it and the AP not trying to pull its own. 

100% agree. That's what I expected and, indeed, what I want. It just isn't happening. EDIT: Also this is what happens when connected to my phone, just not the Orbi network.

>Is there a smart switch or other controller in there? 

At the moment it's AP (internet socket)->Basic Switch->Basic Switch-> Orbi Satellite. Both switches are these.

No other devices are in play.

My Orbi router is connected to my ISP router/modem (don't think that's relevant, but thought I'd mention it just in case).

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I also tried connecting the AP directly to my Orbi satellite. Same issue.

>What firmware is on the WAX? 

V1.0.2.4

2.png3.png

Message 5 of 16
Lewis2e
Star

Just adding some more information.

Upon plugging in and turning on the AP, every device connected to that satellite (the one the AP is connected to) loses internet connectivity. This includes devices connected directly (via switch) to the satellite themselves (e.g. my PC).

After turning off the AP, the same devices will (eventually) get their internet connection back. I also observed the Orbi Satellite rebooting (the Blue LED comes on as it does when it first boots up).

I just can't work out how to diagnose this.

Also yes, I did reset the device back to factory settings before I tried to use it. I also updated the firmware.

Message 6 of 16
plemans
Guru

Again, not to ask dumb questions but what happens if you directly connect the WAX to the orbi router. Make sure the you're connect the internet connection to the WAX's WAN port. 

Message 7 of 16
Lewis2e
Star

>Again, not to ask dumb questions but what happens if you directly connect the WAX to the orbi router. Make sure the you're connect the internet connection to the WAX's WAN port. 

Ah - OK. Progress. Plugging it into the Orbi router seems to work as expected. It functions as an AP just fine.

However, that's not exactly what I want to do. I want this access point to be a "direct line" to my PC (for my VR headset). As such, I really want to connect it to the the same switch which connects to my PC (and the Orbi satellite). The problem is doing that seems to kill everything coming off that Satellite.

Any idea why? I can't see why it would work when connected to the router but not when connected to the satellite.

Really appreciate the help by the way.

Message 8 of 16
plemans
Guru

Once its attached to the router and has its own ip address assigned, can you set it with a reserved ip address? 

Once thats done, power it off and try connecting it directly to the satellite and powering it on. 

If that works, then try it through the switch. 

Message 9 of 16
Lewis2e
Star

Ingenious plan - I'll try this.

Message 10 of 16
Lewis2e
Star

@plemans IT WORKED - Thank you so much!

As you suggested, I connected it to the Orbi router where it got an IP address. I then reserved the IP address in the Orbi web interface, and set the AP itself to manual IP of the same address. Then I plugged it back into the switch that leads to the Orbi satellite and this time it works fine.

Thank you do much. I mean, I still feel like this defies logic a little, but it's working and that's what matters.

Thank you again.

Message 11 of 16
plemans
Guru

Glad it worked! It shouldn't have been so complicated but that random gremlin creates issues sometimes. 🙂 

Again, glad its working for you!

Message 12 of 16
Lewis2e
Star

Ugh - So I spoke a little too soon on this.

It is working, kind of. Devices connected to the AP via wireless can reach the internet. They can also ping other devices connected to the same switch as the satellite that the AP is connected to.

But Orbi thinks the satellite itself is offline.

Lewis2e_1-1672776556761.png

Also, a device connected to the regular Orbi network cannot see any of the devices connected to the same switch as the satellite. It's like they are sealed off in their own little network.

Finally, I am suspicious that the AP is still showing "attached devices". Only two of these are actually connected via the AP, the others are just connected tot he same switch as the AP is wired to. This seems wrong to me. Why would it list devices that aren't actually connected via it?

Lewis2e_2-1672776697350.png

It's like the act of connecting the AP by ethernet to the satellite just kills it's ability to function. It goes offline and everything connected to it is sealed off in it's own little world. Then, when I disconnect the AP, the satellite reboots itself, implying it wasn't happy about something...!

I greatly appreciate all the help on this, but maybe it's time to give up. There seems to be some fundamental incompatibility here. I expected better of two Netgear products (!), but something weird is clearly happening. I don't want to waste anyone's time.

Message 13 of 16
plemans
Guru

what switch is it running through? 

does the AP act fine if its connected directly to the satellite and not through the switch?

Message 14 of 16
Lewis2e
Star

Switch is a TP-Link TL-SG105. There are two (same model) in the chain between the AP and the satellite. As far as I know, it's just a dumb switch. I wasn't expecting it to be a problem.

However, connecting the AP directly to the Satellite - everything seems to behave as expected. I'm a little hesitant to say that... as I was wrong last time... but I've just tested everything I can think of and it seems to behave like I would expect - i.e, just a regular AP.

So - maybe it is the switch? Or something connected to it. It's getting late now, but I'll do some experiments tomorrow adding stuff back into the chain to see if I can find where the problem happens. One switch, One switch plus my PC, Two switches plus my PC.... etc. Maybe I can ping down exactly what causes the issue to manifest.

Updates to follow. And thank you again for all the assistance. I'm closer at least!

Message 15 of 16
plemans
Guru

Glad we're narrowing it a little (maybe)!

It could be something in the switches or daisy-chaining them causing a loop

Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 9 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7