Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

LAN WiFi Speeds

Cameron_s92
Guide

LAN WiFi Speeds

Hi everyone, 

I am new to Orbi so not sure if I am missing something obvious or perhaps have just misunderstood something. 

I have a home server that I store media on and use as LAN storage for my other devices. 

I bought an Orbi RBR850 as it could transmit WiFi 6e using 6000AX protocol. So as I understand it, that means I could be able to recieve (in the regions of) 6000Mbps, or 6Gbps. 

As of yet, I am only receiving 1.2Gbps which is much slower than I was expecting, even after allowing for 'real world speeds'. I live in a small 2 bed house, and I am sat next to the router when I get this speed. 

I am checking this speed in the WiFi adapter properties on the Server and the Orbi app which roughly agrees. 

Am I missing something here or is the 6Gbps transmission rate a marketing pun that I have fallen for? 

Cameron_s92_0-1670946272297.png

Message 1 of 15
plemans
Guru

Re: LAN WiFi Speeds

Yes you did fall for some marketing. 
its an AX6000 device. 

Its triband with the backhaul being 2400mbps, and the fronthaul being 2400mbps on 5ghz and 1200mbps on 2.4ghz. (can't connect to both at once). And thats with a 4x4 antenna. 

Most phones/wifi cards are only 1x1 or 2x2 devices. (antenna). So your 1200mbps connection is right in line with what you can expect from a 2x2 device. 

Message 2 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

"I bought an Orbi RBR850 as it could transmit WiFi 6e using 6000AX protocol." <FYI, the 8 series does NOT have 6Ghz or 6E support. Only Orbi 9 series has that. 

@Cameron_s92 

Message 3 of 15
Cameron_s92
Guide

So from what I've read on the datasheet, it has 2 channels at 2.4Gbps (one for WiFi and the other for satellites), and one channel at 1.2Gbps but I'm obviously only getting 1.2Gbps,which is half the maximum speed on the 5Ghz band. Have I understood that right and am I doing something wrong?
Message 4 of 15
plemans
Guru

Still reading a little wrong.

it has 3x channels being a triband. 

1 that is 2.4ghz and is capable of 1200mbps over 2.4ghz AX connection with 4x4 antennas

1 that is 5ghz that is 2400mbps using a 4x4 setup that is dedicated to fronthaul (connects to devices)

1 that is 5ghz that is 2400mbps using a 4x4 setup but is backhaul (router---satellite only)

The 5ghz 2400mbps using 4x4 antenna? Is means if you have a 1x1 antenna it connects at 600mbps max, 2x=1200mbps, 3x=1800mbps, 4x=2400mbps. 

and like I said, it can't connect to the 2.4ghz and the 5ghz at the same time. Its one or the other. 

The 2.4ghz can be used for failover on the dedicated backhaul but it rarely does that if setup properly. 

Most cell phones/laptops only have a 1x1 or 2x2 antenna setup. 

so if you're connecting at 1200mbps with a device that is 2x2 antenna setup, thats the maximum link speed it can get. 

Message 5 of 15
Cameron_s92
Guide

I bought a new wifi card that advertised it could receive 2.4 Gbps, but after looking on the Intel site, it only has a 2x2 antenna so this could never be true.

If I doubled down and got a 4x4 wifi card, should that give me 2.4Gbps?

I’m also looking at adding a cheap ebay 10Gbps switch, between the orbi and the modem and just hard wire the server in and use the orbi as an AP. But I want the switch to look after dhcp so would need a layer 3 switch, any recommendations?

Message 6 of 15
plemans
Guru

Some cards can do 2400mbps. but thats if both the card and the router support 160hz wide channels. The orbi's only use 80hz wide channels. 

You can't put a switch between the modem----router. 

Well, technically you can but it won't work. Reason why is most ISP's only support 1 public ip address (and therefore 1 device). 

To make that work, you'd need to go modem-----switch that has integrated router functions (gets expensive)---->router in ap mode

You're looking at quite expensive upgrades that might not be worth the benefit. 

Message 7 of 15
CrimpOn
Guru

The business about antennas is a bit confusing.  There are "Eight (8) high-performance internal antennas
with high-power amplifiers".  https://www.netgear.com/images/datasheet/orbi/RBK852.pdf page 4.

The FCC submission clearly shows eight antennas:

CrimpOn_0-1671132267634.png

Here they took out the antennas (8)

CrimpOn_1-1671132325329.png

This leaves me with a distinct impression that four antennas are used for the 4x4 5G backhaul link and four antennas are shared by the 4x4 2.4G and 5G user radio links.  Seems (to a country person) that any given antenna can be broadcasting (or receiving) at 2.4G or at 5G, but not both at the same time. (as well as not broadcasting and receiving at the same time).

"Marketing Speak", indeed.

Message 8 of 15
Cameron_s92
Guide

The plan was to have the isp modem holding the public ip address and one lan address, the 10G switch. The 10G switch would then do all the DHCP issuing and hold the isp modem as its gateway. This way if I go down the lan route for the rest of the house, I'd at least have a good speed for content sharing asy current LAN speed is about 30MB/s down
Message 9 of 15
Cameron_s92
Guide

Any recommendations on an internal WiFi card that will make use of the full 2.4Gbps? I've done a Google search for 4x4 antenna WiFi card but I don't want to make another mistake and get it wrong again.

Cheers
Cam
Message 10 of 15
plemans
Guru

I don't know of any currently that support 4x4. (unless its something new I'm unaware of). 

Why do you think you need the full 2.4gig connection? 
And the money to do so you might be better off to hardwired in the device using other methods. 

Message 11 of 15
Cameron_s92
Guide

I mean I don't NEED 2.4 Gbps, I'm more annoyed that after buying an AP that has the capability of transmitting at those speeds, it's on a technology that isn't even available.

I'm looking at upgrading my home network to 10Gbps on lan, so to make better use of it, it would be nice to get 2.4Gbps on WiFi for streaming content on my lan.

The reason I don't want to hardwire everything is because the orbi only supports 1Gbps wired so I figured I would be better going wifi.

I'm starting to resent orbi, as other than now being able to scroll through Facebook on the toilet, there are little other benifits as my isp modem produced 1Gbps wifi.
Message 12 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

I use a Intel AX210 6E PCI adapter in one of my PCs. Works well and connects at 2400Mpbs.

Most times you don't need much more than 1000-1300Mpbs for streaming content over wireless. Unless your streaming Raw 4K, Most content is already compressed and works well at most speeds lower than 1300Mpbs. I had a Dish Joey connected to a old NG Wireless bridge that someone gave me that only connected at 300Mpbs. It worked fine since the Joey only connected at 100Mpbs. 

My 4th gen 1080P Apple TV only connects at 100Mpbs as well over wired. The 4K version has a 1000Mpbs port. So at most times 1000Mpbs should be good enough. 

I just got into some 10Gb LAN support this year. Haven't used it to it's fullest yet. Most connects my 9 series RBS with 2.5Gb support. Everything else is still 1Gb. 

Message 13 of 15
plemans
Guru

@Cameron_s92 The AX210 doesn't connect to the 8 series at 2400mbps. I think @FURRYe38 is referring to the AX210 connecting to a different router. Reason why is the AX210 only supports 2400mbps when connecting to a 160hz wide channel. the 8 series doesn't support 160hz wide channels and only 80hz wide. so it won't hit 2400mbps over a 2x2 card (which the AX210 is). 

Just don't want you buying an AX210 expecting to his 2400mbps. 

Message 14 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Thanks Plemans for checking me. Ya I forgot to mention the 8 series doesn't support 160Mhz so max rate a AX210 adapter will see on 5GHz AX is 1200Mpbs. Sorry about that. That still works great as well for this adapter on the 8 series. 

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7