Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Last known Orbi750 firmware with telnet functionality?

Rulother
Aspirant

Last known Orbi750 firmware with telnet functionality?

So I'm needing to make my guest network a 5ghz only network and apparently I need to telnet into the orbi system in order to deactivate the 2.4ghz for it, however my firmware does not even list this option under debug.htm and I'm told that is due to the a firmware upgrade that removed the "enable telnet" option. I'm looking for the last known firmware that had this option so I could enable it and then go through and disable 2.4ghz, and then upgrade the firmware back to the current version. Any recommendations? Would love it if this was just an option in the admin panel like it is for every other network router out there...

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Last known Orbi750 firmware with telnet functionality?

Netgear has set up a community forum specifically for the Orbi AX (WiFi 6) products. Most of the people who watch that forum are more likely to have experience with Orbi AX and know how to work it better than those of us who follow this "general Orbi" forum. Might be more likely to find someone who has a solution if the question is posted there:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/bd-p/en-home-orbi-ax

Any changes you make in telnet will not persist thru a FW update nor a reboot. 

Please use this link to the main forum product list to review and choose where to make your posts. 
https://community.netgear.com/t5/NETGEAR-Forum/ct-p/en-netgear

Thank you

Message 2 of 15
Rulother
Aspirant

Wait are you saying if I disabled 2.4ghz for the guest network in telnet, then after a reboot it will be re-enabled?

Message 3 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Correct. Why are you trying to set 5Ghz only for Guest Network? 

Message 4 of 15
Rulother
Aspirant

I have some devices that do not behave well on the 2.4ghz spectrum, aka a Samsung Q950T soundbar among a few. I would love to create a hidden 5ghz network.

Message 5 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

try turning down the power output of the RBRs 2.4Ghz wifi radios from 100% to 25% and see if this changes anything. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Message 6 of 15
Rulother
Aspirant

I admit the RB750 is a bit overkill for my needs, but it is a 1250sqft apartment. I have neighbors and all have a wifi network of some sort. The problem with lowering the power on the 2.4 is that I have a ton of smart devices connected to it. Currently I have the router set to channel 6 (not auto atm as I am trying to find the sweet spot if I must use 2.4). Running firmware V4.6.5.14.

Message 7 of 15
CrimpOn
Guru

@Rulother wrote:

I have some devices that do not behave well on the 2.4ghz spectrum, aka a Samsung Q950T soundbar among a few. I would love to create a hidden 5ghz network.

There are several obstacles:

• The 850 series does not support separate SSID's for the 2.4G and 5G WiFi networks
    (Both the primary and the guest WiFi networks use a single SSID for their 2.4G and 5G networks. Primary and guest need different SSID's to distinguish one from the other, but they each have only a single SSID.)
  • If it were possible to hack the 850 to mess around with the radio systems, any changes disappear with the next reboot.
  • The 850 series no longer has the option to enable/disable broadcasting the SSID.
  • The Orbi has no control over which channel a device selects.  After the access point and WiFi device communicate their capabilities, the device determines which access point it will use.

If you are determined to create a "hidden" 5G WiFi signal for the soundbar, a possible solution is to purchase a Netgear EX3700 WiFi extender. (About $32.99US on Amazon.)  Connect this extender to the Orbi at whatever band you want and then create a 5G WiFi channel with a different name. Uncheck the option to "Broadcast this SSID".  (see page 22 of the EX3700 manual)

https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/EX3700/EX3700_UM_EN.pdf 

There will now be a "hidden" 5G WiFi network that no other device will connect to (because no other device will know the SSID/password).

Message 8 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Do you have a RBS connected as well or just the RBR alone? For that size of home, the RBR would be all you need. 

I would try setting the transmit power to something lower to see if you can get those soundbars to maybe connect at 5Ghz on there own. Also lowering the power output helps avoid some neighboring wifi noise and interferences on your system.

Also I would probably update FW as well:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6-AX-and-WiFi-6E-AXE/New-RBR750-RBS750-Firmware-Version-v...

@Rulother wrote:

I admit the RB750 is a bit overkill for my needs, but it is a 1250sqft apartment. I have neighbors and all have a wifi network of some sort. The problem with lowering the power on the 2.4 is that I have a ton of smart devices connected to it. Currently I have the router set to channel 6 (not auto atm as I am trying to find the sweet spot if I must use 2.4). Running firmware V4.6.5.14.

Message 9 of 15
Rulother
Aspirant

I hate it but that is cheaper than giving up on the 750 and buying an ASUS XT8 setup. Thank you I will try that path.

Message 10 of 15
Rulother
Aspirant

I do have the satelite as well, the walls in the apartment are pretty solid so having the satelite helps getting the signal all throughout, and my network equipment is located in another room from my fiber connection, so it had to be this way. The soundbar itself is located right next to the main 750 router, again no choice on that one. 

Message 11 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, something to see if turning down the power some may get the soundbar on 5Ghz. However being that close to the RBR, may not make any difference. Being too close maybe why the soundbar likes the 2.4 over 5Ghz. Might see if you can move either the RBR or soundbar farther appart. This maybe the main issue as well which could be solved by some distance. It's not good to have devices too close to the wifi signal 3-6 feet is recommended distances at close range. 

Message 12 of 15
Rulother
Aspirant

Currently it is nearly 4ft away, I can move the router to be about 6.5ft away, though I'm not entirely sure how much that will help. But I'm willing to try anything that may help.

Message 13 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Worth a try and lower the power on 2.4Ghz and see. You can always put things back. 

Message 14 of 15
Wanshun
Tutor

@FURRYe38 wrote:

What Firmware version is currently loaded?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

try turning down the power output of the RBRs 2.4Ghz wifi radios from 100% to 25% and see if this changes anything. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

I have no neighbors

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7