Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: My Orbi RBR752 drops IPv6 every hour or so.

cdysthe
Virtuoso

My Orbi RBR752 drops IPv6 every hour or so.

I have had my Orbi RBR752 (with the latest firmware) set up with IPv6 for a year on a Xfinity gigabit connection through a Netgear CM2000 modem. A few days ago I was changing the DNS settings for IPv6 which I also have done before without problems. I kept DHCP but when I applied the IPv6 settings I didn't get an IPv6 IP and IPv6 did of course not work. Then I tried "Auto Detect" and the connection was set with 6to4Tunnel. I have never seen that before, I have always gotten DHCP with Xfinity. Then I tried to set it back to DHCP again and got an IP and it worked. For an hour or so. Then IPv6 stopped working and when I checked it said: IP Not available I went through the same procedure: Auto Detect, getting 6to4Tunnel, then set it to DHCP and getting an IP. After another hour IPv6 stopped working with the same IP Not Available message. 

Is this a router problem or is it caused by something my ISP did? Is there anything I can do to get IPv6 to stay up more than an hour? Right now I just disable it until I figure this out,

Message 1 of 40
plemans
Guru

what firmware version are you on?

I'm using a RBK752 on xfinity with ipv6 enabled. (I switch routers a lot)

Message 2 of 40
cdysthe
Virtuoso

Firmware is latest as far as I know: V4.6.5.14_2.0.54

I have had IPv6 enabled and working on this firmware until a few days ago when it now drops after an hour. I have to go in and disable/enable it again and it works for another hour or so. So this is a new problem. I have not made any changed to my system, same router/satellite/modem/connection. Maybe I have to factory reset? Restart the modem? I can't figure this out.

Message 3 of 40
plemans
Guru

You can try factory resetting the router/modem if you'd like. 
It could just be a xfinity issue. 

It shouldn't impact much services if ipv6 is disabled. 

It comes disabled from default and many don't even enabled. 

Message 4 of 40
cdysthe
Virtuoso

I have found that many have this IPv6 issue with Orbi systems on Comcast/Xfinity connections. Have a look here:

https://is.gd/cecoro

I really hope Netgear will fix this through a firmware update since Comcast won't redo their vCMTS implementation which seems to be causing the problem. Until that happens I'm wasting my time trying to fix this and will keep IPv6 disabled.
Message 5 of 40
Mikey94025
Hero

@cdysthe wrote:
I have found that many have this IPv6 issue with Orbi systems on Comcast/Xfinity connections. Have a look here:

https://is.gd/cecoro

Thanks and this is a legit link: Netgear IPv6 Problems With Comcast - Comcast XFINITY | DSLReports Forums.  Best not to hide it behind a URL shortener or else we are worried it might be spam.

Message 6 of 40
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 7 of 40
cdysthe
Virtuoso

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Please confirm same thing happens on v.5:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6-AX-and-WiFi-6E-AXE/New-RBR750-RBS750-Firmware-Version-v...

I have now run with the latest firmware 4.6.7.5_2.1.7 and the problem is partly solved. There's still issues with Auto Detect not detecting DHCP but rather 6-4Tunnel. I have to disable IPv6, then enable it again and specifically choose DCHP to get IPv6 to work as intended and like it has in the past. However, the setting now sticks and the IP has not dropped after an hour like it did on the previous firmware. That was the most serious problem. I have had working DHCP based IPv6 working for a couple of days but getting the problem with getting DHCP to work and an IP set needs to be fixed.

Message 8 of 40
cdysthe
Virtuoso

Hi @FURRYe38

Unfortunately IPv6 was lost again today, it has been working for 5 days. I am on firmware V4.6.7.13_2.1.9 which should be the latest. It kept saying "Not Available"  under "Router's IPv6 Address On WAN" and I had to disable/enable IPv6 a couple of times since Auto Detect only gave me 6to4tunnel. I set DHCP and finally got an IP however, it should not drop like that and Auto Detect should find DHCP for IPv6 which is supported and working on my Xfinity connection with other routers. 

Message 9 of 40
FURRYe38
Guru

OK. I'll pass this onto NG for review. 

Thanks for letting us know. 

Message 10 of 40
cdysthe
Virtuoso

Hi @FURRYe38 ,

Now it happened again. IPv6 is out. Not disabled, just without and IP. It seems to happen once a week or so, but it does always happen. I then disabled IPv6, enabled it with Auto Detect and then set DHCP and it's up again. I do notice that when I change IPv6 settings it takes a long time for the router to be responsive. It takes a minute or so now to set IPv6 and the web UI is unresponsive. Much slower than any other setting change on the router. Again, I am on Xfinity/Comcast with a Netgear CM2000 modem. Everything else works just fine. Surely others on Xfinity/Comcast have this issue? 

Message 11 of 40
FarmerBob1
Luminary

Your lucky, every hour. My RBK853 it's whenever. Whereas, on the RBRK853 up until the mid-v3s FW, IPv6 was rock solid. Then there were some changes and one was on the IPv6 Set Up Page that makes no sense and that's when my connection crapped out. Since we are up to v4.x FW, nothing has been done and we can't rollback, IPv6 is so very flaky . . . at best.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's the newer FW. I have Centruylink Gigbit Fiber and go directly from the ONT to my RBR850/SKX30/RAXE500. The ONT, a Calix, I got for free with a C3000A router. The CL UI is fantastic and setting up IPv6 is a bit of a chore, but it is so great in the end. The Installer, a Field Manager, said he knew I was the type that would change everything out. So he showed me how to handle the Fiber and gave me a print out of all the paperwork that they have that covers my connection to them, i.e., PPPoE Login and PWs. The IPv6 setup had no special requirements.

On my RAXE500, IPv6 is pretty solid. But I do think I have noticed hiccups. I understand that a new version of FW may come this week and we'll have to see what it does. If it does not break it. Hopefully, unlike the RBR850, I'll be able to revert, if so.

But IPv6 connections seems to be a NG Product wide issue. And if not now, don't be surprised if it shows up in future after a FW update. Then it's time to hit the Forums and let everyone, NG, know that after this or that the IPv6 works, doesn't, kinda does . . .

Message 12 of 40
cdysthe
Virtuoso

Actually, I had it happen every hour until I upgraded to the latest firmware. Now it's "only" happening every week or so. It's obvious that several ISP's has changed something with regards IPv6 and Netgear is not up to date on it so the IPv6 IP drops ever hour/week or whenever some kinda of IPS update to IPv6 happens, probably through DHCP. Yes, I can disable IPv6 but I have devices that benefit from it so I would like to have it work like it did before.

Message 13 of 40
cdysthe
Virtuoso

And it happened again yesterday. I notice that there's a very short break in Internet connection when it happened. Maybe something Comcast does on a weekly basis with IPv6?
Message 14 of 40
FURRYe38
Guru

Does the System Uptime change value under the routers Debug.htm page when this happens? 

Message 15 of 40
cdysthe
Virtuoso

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Does the System Uptime change value under the routers Debug.htm page when this happens? 

System uptime: 17 days 20:09:53, so since the IPv^6 drop happened yesterday it doesn't change.

It also takes a long time to get an IPv6 IP with DHCP. It's like the router is struggling to get the IP. Often 20-30 seconds with unresponsive UI before the IP is set.

Message 16 of 40
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok. I have passed this onto NG support for review already. I recommend that if you have some support available to you that you reach out to them and open up a support ticket. 

Hope this will get fixed in next FW update however don't know when that will be. IPv6 seems to be a rollercoaster ride for Orbi systems over the years. Works on over version then is broke on the next. 🤢

@cdysthe wrote:

System uptime: 17 days 20:09:53, so since the IPv^6 drop happened yesterday it doesn't change.

It also takes a long time to get an IPv6 IP with DHCP. It's like the router is struggling to get the IP. Often 20-30 seconds with unresponsive UI before the IP is set.

Message 17 of 40
cdysthe
Virtuoso

Update: It happened again yesterday Mar 14, 2022. Less than a week this time. However, all I had to do was set IPv6 to 6to4tunnel and then back to DHCP and I got an IP assigned. There's something wrong with how the router gets the IPv6 IP from Xfinity. 

Message 18 of 40
FURRYe38
Guru

Thanks for keep us up to date. 

Message 19 of 40
cdysthe
Virtuoso

@FURRYe38 As of today I am not able to get IPv6 at all. I have tried it all. Toggle IPv6 on and off and then select DHCP. Reboot. All kinds of other combinations but I am not able to get a IPv6 IP from Xfinity. I wanted to submit  support ticket but it says I do not have any support, not even e-mail so I am stuck now as far as IPv6 goes. I really need to work for a couple of my devices but I just can't get it to work. Now what?

Message 20 of 40
FURRYe38
Guru

What devices are effected by this? Just curious. Are they required to have IPv6? Most devices can run with out IPv6,

What was the last version of FW that had good working IPv6? 

Message 21 of 40
cdysthe
Virtuoso

@FURRYe38 wrote:

What devices are effected by this? Just curious. Are they required to have IPv6? Most devices can run with out IPv6,

What was the last version of FW that had good working IPv6? 

The Xbox is my main concern. It works without IPv6 but it greatly benefit from having it working. My newer IOT devices also benefits from IPv6. I have two in use (weather station and surveillance camera) that updates more reliably when IPv6 is enabled and working. I also do testing of internet connected applications (work related) which uses IPv6 and need testing. I have a backup router I use now for testing of IPv6.

I do not remember the exact firmware version number that worked but it was two down from the one I use now which is 4.6.7.13_2.1.9. But remember when this first started happening the firmware had worked for nearly a year with IPv6. Something Xfinity/Comcast did a couple of months ago broke the Netgear implementation of IPv6.

Message 22 of 40
FURRYe38
Guru

Well I've let NG know about this. We'll have to wait for next FW update. 

I recommend for now, either downgrade FW or use the other router has your host router and configure orbi for AP mode. 

Message 23 of 40
cdysthe
Virtuoso

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Well I've let NG know about this. We'll have to wait for next FW update. 

I recommend for now, either downgrade FW or use the other router has your host router and configure orbi for AP mode. 

Thank you for following it up and your advice. These things are so time consuming. I have been happy with Netgear for 13 years so this was so unexpected. What makes it harder is that it may be something Xfinity/Comcast does regionally that causes it so troubleshooting could be difficult. All I can see it that the router is not happy with Xfinity's IPv6 IP assignments and cat get it set. Oh well....

Message 24 of 40
FURRYe38
Guru

All you can do is make things stable for now. 

Message 25 of 40
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 39 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7