Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nest Thermostat Batteries LOW on a new ORBI AX setup

samnt650
Tutor

Re: Nest Thermostat Batteries LOW on a new ORBI RBR850

Orbi firmware is v3.2.16.22_1.4.9 2.

NEST 3rd Gen Thermostat with firmware 6.1-9

RBR & RBS connected via RJ45

Less than 25 to RBR. Less than 45 to RBS.

Message 126 of 265
FURRYe38
Guru

What channels are you using? Manual or Auto on 2.4Ghz? What channel are you using on 5Ghz? 

I'm using channel 1 for 2.4Ghz and channel 40...

@samnt650 wrote:

Orbi firmware is v3.2.16.22_1.4.9 2.

NEST 3rd Gen Thermostat with firmware 6.1-9

RBR & RBS connected via RJ45

Less than 25 to RBR. Less than 45 to RBS.

Message 127 of 265
FURRYe38
Guru

Also how did you update your Orbi system? Manual or automatic? 

Message 128 of 265
brandobot
Guide

Is there any update on this? Has this issue been resolved yet? 

I've resorted to running an additional router just to connect my Nest thermostat

Message 129 of 265
FURRYe38
Guru

Mines been running well on v22 with the settings mentioned above. I'm still working with NG on this, however there hasn't been much info in past week or so. 

Also using CTS value of 64. 

I did see an odd problem on the NEST app however was NOT related to the battery or disconnect. I found that in the NEST app, it reported the NEST controller disconnected. However looking at the controller itself, it reported being online. However looking at the RBRs web page under connected clients, it didn't list the controller but the IP was listed and said "amazon". I looked at the MAC address and it was not for the controller, rather for one of my Echo Dots. I Powered OFF all Dots and waited a few minutes. Then the NEST controller was seen in the RBRs web page. So there was an IP address conflict was all. NEST app and controller have been working well since that one event. 

One other item i have noticed a while back, when the contoller does disconnect, it seems that for my controller at least, seems to stop trying to connect to something if it fails and thus stops draining the battery. Not sure if NEST did something on there side or NG did something on theres to stop the ping pong effect when the controller is trying to connect to something which causes the battery to drain. So the few disconnections I have seen, the battery hasn't drained on mine. 

However since v22 has been loaded, the controller has been online and stable otherwise. 

RBS and RBR were manually updated, Powered OFF for 1 minute then back on with the RBR first, then RBS. Both my RBS are ethernet connected. 

@brandobot wrote:

Is there any update on this? Has this issue been resolved yet? 

I've resorted to running an additional router just to connect my Nest thermostat

Message 130 of 265
brandobot
Guide

I updated to v22 a few days ago. I'm currently running in AP mode, so I don't know if I can set values like CTS anymore.

I forgot why I set it to AP mode as it's been months since I setup my routers, but it's been stable for months so I'm hesitant to change it.

Message 131 of 265
samnt650
Tutor

2.4G on auto Channel

5G on 48 Channel

Orbi firmware update was done via out-of-band file upload (to fix the speed check problem) later via direct update from the device web console.

I am working with the Tech Support, have the following config deviated from defaults

MTU - 1492

AX for 2.4G & 5G - Disabled

CTS/RTS - 2347

At of 15:00 EST 11Dec, These changes are on Orbi with fully charged NEST.  Let see how many days or hrs before the NEST lose the Wifi connection.

If tech ask me to make further changes, I'll reset the battery drain test process.  (Yes, I full batter charge NEST after each Orbi config change)

Message 132 of 265
FURRYe38
Guru

CTS isn't dependent upong router or AP mode. 

Mines in Router mode. I presume I should try AP mode as well at some point and see how things go...

Message 133 of 265
samnt650
Tutor

Orbi is setup at Router.  It is directly connected to my ISP copper line.  Yes the Yellow RJ45 connect is used. 

Message 134 of 265
chevy038
Aspirant

I too am now part of the Orbi AX4200 with Nest Low Battery club! I wish I would've known this issue before buying my Orbi. I'm thoroughly disappointed after spending hours messing with router and nest settings, and hours with Netgear and Nest tech support. I'm disgusted. It's sad that we need to have a computer science degree or have to set up a 2nd router to work around this problem. NETGEAR - PLEASE FIX!!

Has anyone completely solved this issue??
Message 135 of 265
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. 

What is the distance between the RBR/RBS and your NEST controllers? 

What channels are you using?

What CTS value are you using? Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

What is the FW/Software version seen on your NEST Controller.

Since v22 has been installed on my 8 series Orbi, I have seen zero disconnects or low battery notifications on my 3rd gen NEST controller. 

@chevy038 wrote:
I too am now part of the Orbi AX4200 with Nest Low Battery club! I wish I would've known this issue before buying my Orbi. I'm thoroughly disappointed after spending hours messing with router and nest settings, and hours with Netgear and Nest tech support. I'm disgusted. It's sad that we need to have a computer science degree or have to set up a 2nd router to work around this problem. NETGEAR - PLEASE FIX!!

Has anyone completely solved this issue??

Message 136 of 265
chevy038
Aspirant

Firmware V 3.2.16.9
Home is 3600 sq ft.
I have the CBK752 setup, so RBR has the built in DOCSIS cable modem.
Thermostat is about 12-15 feet from RBR. The router and satellite are approx 30 feet apart (RBR is on 1st floor of house, RBS is on 2nd floor)
I'm sick and tired of messing around with settings. Customers shouldn't have to go to this level of ridiculousness to get a simple IoT device to work on a premium piece of networking hardware.

How do I get the V22 firmware? Is it applicable to my unit? My app says firmware is up to date.
This morning, after my thermostat went offline yet again, and I charged it yet again, I was able to walk it out to my garage and get it to connect to the 2.4Ghz band. I went to LAN setup to try and do an IP address reservation to get the Nest to permanently stay connected to 2.4G as advised by Netgear tech support during my 1.5hr phone call with them yesterday. I have my 5G Transmit Power Control set to 25% and the 2.4G set to 100%. I then walked back inside the house and placed the thermostat back in its base. A few minutes later it reconnected to 5G.... I'm done.
Message 137 of 265
chevy038
Aspirant

My 2.4G channel is Auto and 5G is 48.
The CTS/RTS is 64 for both 2.4 & 5G.
Message 138 of 265
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya so the CBK7 series is a bit different from the RBK7 series. This forum is for the ORBI AX RBK 7 and 8 series systems. So the FW seen here in this forum will not be applicable ot your CBK7 series. So there is that. 

For the CBK7 seriess, please visit the Orbi with Cable modem forum:

So try the following:

Using AX mode enabled or disabled.

20/40Mhz and 40Mhz only. 

Default CTS value is at 64 and have not changed this. 

Manual channel 1 and 36(40) have been working well since I have a next door nieghbor with a Orbi system. 

Power at 100%. 

Using two RBS850s.

Also be sure that your NESTs are getting clean IP address assignments. Set a IP address reservation for each NEST ON the router. 

For any 3rd gen NEST, they are dual band supporting so either 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz will work. 

As a test, turn OFF the RBS and let the NEST connect to the RBR only with the above configuration. 

I have been working with NG on this problem with NEST controllers, however this is on the RBK series system, not the CBK system. I presume there are some similaritites in regards to the wifi portion of the CBK system, however there are additional factors that will make a difference between the two. Something that NG will need to look into for the CBK system. 

Others have mentioned that NEST support the configration of a power line from the service unit. Something to check out with NEST. This seems to help avoid the battery issue. 

Overall, if your not happy with the system and how it works, please return the system and find something else that does. We can only do so much here in the forums. I only know for the RBK 8 series, My NEST controllers have been working with zero problems at this point.

@chevy038 wrote:
Firmware V 3.2.16.9
Home is 3600 sq ft.
Thermostat is about 12-15 feet from RBR. The router and satellite are approx 30 feet apart (RBR is on 1st floor of house, RBS is on 2nd floor)
I'm sick and tired of messing around with settings. Customers shouldn't have to go to this level of ridiculousness to get a simple IoT device to work on a premium piece of networking hardware.

How do I get the V22 firmware? Is it applicable to my unit? My app says firmware is up to date.
This morning, after my thermostat went offline yet again, and I charged it yet again, I was able to walk it out to my garage and get it to connect to the 2.4Ghz band. I went to LAN setup to try and do an IP address reservation to get the Nest to permanently stay connected to 2.4G as advised by Netgear tech support during my 1.5hr phone call with them yesterday. I have my 5G Transmit Power Control set to 25% and the 2.4G set to 100%. I then walked back inside the house and placed the thermostat back in its base. A few minutes later it reconnected to 5G.... I'm done.

Message 139 of 265
FURRYe38
Guru

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-with-Built-in-Cable-Modem/bd-p/en-home-orbi-cable

@chevy038 wrote:
Firmware V 3.2.16.9
Home is 3600 sq ft.

Message 140 of 265
rbernstein
Guide

I am working with Netgear Tier 2 support on this issue.  I had opened a ticket and posted on their Facebook page.  I was told they are aware of this issue and are working on it.  I am capturing logs on my Orbi for them. The more people that report the issue and are able to capture logs for Netgear, the quicker their engineers will be able to resolve the issue.

Rob

Message 141 of 265
samnt650
Tutor

A short term work around appears able to extend the battery life on NEST.  Put a tape (I use painter tape) to cover the NEST motion sensor.  This help me to sustain the battery level at 3.7v (better than at 3.6v but not ideal to be at 3.8v)  Yes covering the sensor lose the farsight function, but at least in my case help keeping the sensor connected to Wifi

Message 142 of 265
FURRYe38
Guru

Thanks for letting us know and the additional help and support. 

@rbernstein wrote:

I am working with Netgear Tier 2 support on this issue.  I had opened a ticket and posted on their Facebook page.  I was told they are aware of this issue and are working on it.  I am capturing logs on my Orbi for them. The more people that report the issue and are able to capture logs for Netgear, the quicker their engineers will be able to resolve the issue.

Rob

Message 143 of 265
FURRYe38
Guru

You can turn off the sensor function to sense motion so you don't have to use tape on the controller. If motion and sensor is causing the battery to drain, then you need to contact NEST about that. Thats NOT a NG problem. 

Something I've never seen ith my 3rd gen controller. 

@samnt650 wrote:

A short term work around appears able to extend the battery life on NEST.  Put a tape (I use painter tape) to cover the NEST motion sensor.  This help me to sustain the battery level at 3.7v (better than at 3.6v but not ideal to be at 3.8v)  Yes covering the sensor lose the farsight function, but at least in my case help keeping the sensor connected to Wifi

Message 144 of 265
samnt650
Tutor

I've tried the motion detect shutdown function within the NEST control.  However that did not help sustain the battery life in my case.

Message 145 of 265
FURRYe38
Guru

Hmmm...seems kinda fishy though. Something I would bring up to NEST support. I've left my 1 3rd gen wide open, walk by it several times a day. No tape. 

Message 146 of 265
FURRYe38
Guru

Anyone with a 8 series Orbi AX wanna try this new version of FW? 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/New-RBR850-RBS850-Series-Firmware-Version-v3-2-17-12-Releas...

@samnt650 wrote:

I've tried the motion detect shutdown function within the NEST control.  However that did not help sustain the battery life in my case.

Message 147 of 265
samnt650
Tutor

Per support ticket I have with Netgear, Firmware v3.2.17.12 supposed to fix the NEST battery drain problem.  Will be loading on Jan 22 evening for testing...

Message 148 of 265
WilliamGr
Guide

Please keep us updated about this. Would be interested to see if it fixes the issue (I'm not optimistic). 

Message 149 of 265
FURRYe38
Guru

Mine are online since grading yesterday...no NEST disconnects so far. 

Message 150 of 265
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7