Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nest Thermostat Batteries LOW on a new ORBI AX setup

Booya
Aspirant

I put my Nest on the guest WiFi as someone previously suggested and 2 days later it hasn’t disconnected. This may have solved the problem!
Message 251 of 265
turbojimmy2
Guide

@Booya wrote:
I put my Nest on the guest WiFi as someone previously suggested and 2 days later it hasn’t disconnected. This may have solved the problem!

I'm definitely going to have to try that!

Message 252 of 265
FURRYe38
Guru

I'll try that as well though it would consider it a work around and not a solution. 

Message 253 of 265
Booya
Aspirant

I’ll take a work around until the real problem is fixed since this is a relatively least work involved. Let me know how it works out for you. The Nest thermometer battery voltage has held steady and doesn't show any
voltage drop.
Message 254 of 265
FURRYe38
Guru

👍

Just curious what is the distance of your NEST controller(s) from the RBR and RBS respectively?

@Booya wrote:
I’ll take a work around until the real problem is fixed since this is a relatively least work involved. Let me know how it works out for you. The Nest thermometer battery voltage has held steady and doesn't show any
voltage drop.

Message 255 of 265
Booya
Aspirant

My Nest is in a hallway less than 5 feet from my RBR with 2 RBS downstairs and upstairs about 30 feet and 60 feet away. I have roughly a 3500 SQ house and probably can get by with just 1 satellite but the package came with 2. Is the problem caused by the Nest trying to connect and disconnect with the various satellites/router which causes the battery to drain?
Message 256 of 265
Shadowgent
Tutor

My Nest is about 30+ feet from my RBR on the same level, with my RBS’s each on different levels somewhere between ~40-60 feet away.

So far, my Guest network approach continues to work without issues. It’s an unfortunate but relatively painless solution until/unless it can be eventually be addressed correctly by Netgear / Google.
Message 257 of 265
leifarron
Initiate

I tried this. Moved over to guest network and for the first time since I installed my Orbi mesh they are fully charged.
Message 258 of 265
leifarron
Initiate

I didn’t move any of my equipment to clarify. I have previously charged them and they would always die no matter what I tried. I created the guest network with a different SSID and as of this morning they for the first time are fully charged in their own. Both are at 3.85. So far so good and this is a super easy fix. Hope this helps someone and I’ll update it they die again. But again no addition power supply, didn’t move my RBR or RBS all I did what change to the guest with a new SSID for just the thermostats.
Message 259 of 265
philsheng
Aspirant

I did the guest SSID thing and it successfully worked to get my Nest connected to the Internet.  However, when I'm not able to connect it to the Nest App and during the process the the battery drains and the screen goes black and laggy.  I ended up plugging into USB to get the battery back up.  Anyone doing the guest SSID thing having trouble connecting to the Nest App?

Message 260 of 265
FURRYe38
Guru

I put my 8 series back online last Sataurday using the following process:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6-AX-and-WiFi-6E-AXE/New-Online-Update-4-6-3-16-RBR850-RB...

Been watching my 3rd Gen NEST thats closest to the RBR. 4-5 feet. Have not seen the NEST go off line since. Just checked the voltage on the NEST and it's at 3.89volts. NEST is not power wire connected as of yet. Just wireless. Last time I saw the NEST was connected to the basement RBS which is wirelessly connected to the RBR on 2nd level. I'll keep monitoring. 

Message 261 of 265
philsheng
Aspirant

Finally was able to get it working using the Guest SSID trick.  Thanks so much for the tip!!!  

Message 262 of 265
Crawfordiii
Aspirant

I tried the same thing and it worked! Battery level keeps charging as mine is connected to the C wire. We will see if it holds once I do that for my other Nest Learning Thermostat. Ridiculous that neither company of the two most highly rated products in their prospective categories can't or won't solve this!
Message 263 of 265
FURRYe38
Guru

Whats the distance between the RBR, RBS and your NEST controllers. I found that distance can be a factor. 

Current working version of FW that seems to work with my 1 3rd gen NEST is v3.16. No low battery was seen with my 8 series Orbi. 

@Crawfordiii wrote:
I tried the same thing and it worked! Battery level keeps charging as mine is connected to the C wire. We will see if it holds once I do that for my other Nest Learning Thermostat. Ridiculous that neither company of the two most highly rated products in their prospective categories can't or won't solve this!

Message 264 of 265
turbojimmy2
Guide

This is somewhat unrelated, but I had to remove one of my Nest Power Adapters today. Now that the cold weather is here I noticed that one of my A/C compressors would run for 1-2 seconds when the heat turned on (it's not supposed to do that). I'm am 100% sure the Nest Power Adapter was wired up properly, but it was causing this behavior.

Interestingly, I have 2 HVAC systems in my house. Both the same brand, but different models (one is a "regular" furnace and the other is a high-efficiency). The high efficiency unit operates normally with the Nest Power Adapter installed (the A/C compressor does not briefly turn on with the heat). 

Message 265 of 265
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7