Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Netgear Orbi and MacBook Pro

RAPA
Aspirant

Netgear Orbi and MacBook Pro

Orbi Wifi 6 router (RBR850) frequently disconnects with the new MacBookPro. Interestingly, a friend of mine has the same combination and he is experiencing the same problem. It's frustrating that $600 router doesn't work and warranty on the product is very bad.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What model Mac do you have? 

What OSX version are you using? 

What distance is the mac book from the RBR? 

Is there a RBS850 online as well? 

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Does changing from CTS 64 to 2347 help any Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

@RAPA wrote:

Orbi Wifi 6 router (RBR850) frequently disconnects with the new MacBookPro. Interestingly, a friend of mine has the same combination and he is experiencing the same problem. It's frustrating that $600 router doesn't work and warranty on the product is very bad.

Message 2 of 14
RAPA
Aspirant

Orbi firmware version is V3.2.16.6

ISP os Comcast.

Modem model is ARRIS Group, Inc. TG3482G.

MacBook Pro. model is 2.0GHz Quad-Core Processor with Turbo Boost up to 3.8GHz, 512GB Storage, Touch Bar and Touch ID. Bought July 2020.

Location doesn't seem to matter - I've kept the modem at the line of sight, same floor different room and different floor. Same issue

Channel is set to Auto.

Message 3 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

What mode is your Arris modem working in Router or Modem only? If router, This would be a double NAT (two router) condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop
https://kb.netgear.com/26765/Disabled-Features-on-the-Router-when-set-to-AP-Mode

What happens if you change CTS values from 64 to 2347 under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings or disable AX mode on the RBR...

Message 4 of 14
RAPA
Aspirant

All radio/wiifi on the modem is disabled. The cable modem/router is set to run on Bridge mode.

Where do i set the following?

What happens if you change CTS values from 64 to 2347 under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings or disable AX mode on the RBR...

Message 5 of 14
RAPA
Aspirant

Orbi is set to router mode

Message 6 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

On the RBRs web page. Follow the path that I mentioned to find that setting. 

AX mode is on the Basic TAB/Wireless settings page on RBR. 

Message 7 of 14
RAPA
Aspirant

"What happens if you change CTS values from 64 to 2347 under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings or disable AX mode on the RBR..."

What does this do? Should i change the CTS values both 2.4 GHZ and 5GHZ?

Message 8 of 14
RAPA
Aspirant

Also, what does disabling Ax feature do?

Message 9 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes. 

AX is a wireless mode, like Wireless AC, N, G and so on. Sets connection rates for those devices that support those modes. 

Message 10 of 14
RAPA
Aspirant

I disabled Ax for now. As you may know, MacBookPro doesn't support Wifi 6

Message 11 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya I know. Mine doesn't either, however with AX mode enabled, devices should remain connected. 

Please make contact with NG support about what your see with and with out AX mode enabled. 

@Blanca_O 

Message 12 of 14
RAPA
Aspirant

Keeping my fingers crossed. Thank you for your help!

Message 13 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know how it goes. 

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements