Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Netgear fix for not able to connect to management console

mark_e_h
Star

Netgear fix for not able to connect to management console

I've seen the NG posting on here:

We are aware of an issue affecting the Orbi RBK85x and RBK75x Series Mesh WiFi 6 Systems. Some customers can no longer access or manage their Orbi systems through the Orbi app or the web user interface.

And the response:

NETGEAR is gradually rolling out a fix to restore access to all Orbi RBK85x and RBK75x Systems. Unless we encounter unforeseen issues, the fix will roll out to all devices over the next 10 days. A small number of affected Orbi WiFi Systems might take longer to update.

(BTW, 10 days is a long time to wait...)

Maybe someone can explain how this might work. I can't access the control/management software on my RB750, either via connected web or app on IOS. So how can I or Netgear update my router??

THX for any help.

Message 1 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Try a factory reset by pressing the reset button on the back of the RBR. Try 20 seconds then release. Have one wired PC connected to the back of the RBR. Disconnect the RBR from the ISP modem/ONT. Use a web browser and navigate to HTTP and 192.168.1.1 once you see the front LED slowly pulsates WHITE. Walk thru the setup wizard there. You can turn OFF the RBS while you do this. 

Message 2 of 21
mark_e_h
Star

Thanks for the suggestion. I have tried to reset to factory but didn't seem to make any difference. I can try again.

But my real question was how NG managed to cause this, and how they can fix it.

I do not allow automatic firmware updates to the router. So how did they break mine??

And since I no longer have access to the management part of the router, how can I fix it, even with NG's fix. I can't update the firmware.

I think the real question is whether NG is updating my router firmware without asking or informing me??

MH

Message 3 of 21
CrimpOn
Guru

@mark_e_h wrote:

Maybe someone can explain how this might work. I can't access the control/management software on my RB750, either via connected web or app on IOS. So how can I or Netgear update my router??

The problem that has caused this frenzy is that a firmware update was pushed to thousands of 750 and 850 systems, which left the systems:

• Continuing to function, with the exception that
  • Neither the Orbi 'app' nor the Orbi web interface functioned.  i.e. users were effectively cut off from accessing or controlling the router.
  • Customers who do not use the Orbi app or the web interface are blissfully unaware of the problem.

Since these systems continue to function, they periodically 'check in' with Netgear looking for new firmware  The updated firmware release is designed to restore access via the Orbi app and the web interface without the user doing anything except for perhaps rebooting the system.

Users who cannot wait for Netgear to push the new firmware can perform a Factory Reset as described by @FURRYe38 and configure the system from scratch.  If users have done very little configuration, that takes just a few minutes.  Users who have spent hours configuring their systems are reluctant to go through that exercise again. 

So, either (a) you do it yourself, or (b) Netgear will do it invisibly to you.

Message 4 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

@mark_e_h wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion. I have tried to reset to factory but didn't seem to make any difference. I can try again.

Try the method mentioned. Others have methoned pressing the reset button for 1 FULL minute then release. Got back in. 

But my real question was how NG managed to cause this, and how they can fix it. I belive it was the auto update process that broke peoples systems. Has had a long history of bad operation. Some of us already had v.2 FW loaded manually priort to NG auto updating. Mine was loaded about a week prior. Saw no log in issues with the web page. Still don't. Only issue now is Orbi app doesn't connect on any of my Orbi AX systems. 

I do not allow automatic firmware updates to the router. So how did they break mine?? Not sure you how your not allowing unless you run your system behind another router or firewall and blocking the NG services. 

And since I no longer have access to the management part of the router, how can I fix it, even with NG's fix. I can't update the firmware. Try the mentioned factory reset. 

I think the real question is whether NG is updating my router firmware without asking or informing me??

Orbi when it first came out was the first product line I believe that NG takes part in forcing updates on users systems. Theres been long historical complaints about it since the beginning since it's really never worked right. NG doesnt' seem listen very well. I believe after this last event. Maybe they will. Of course, it maybe too late. 

Message 5 of 21
mark_e_h
Star

A

Ok - thx. I better understand the technical issues.

But I think the philosophical issues are still not resolved:

Orbi when it first came out was the first product line I believe that NG takes part in forcing updates on users systems. Theres been long historical complaints about it since the beginning since it's really never worked right. NG doesnt' seem listen very well. I believe after this last event. Maybe they will. Of course, it maybe too late

Apparently Netgear is confused as to who owns the equipment I thought I purchased from them. Apparently I'm only borrowing from them. Bad enough to make changes without asking. Even worse to not inform me of what they are doing.

The posting from Netgear said they were going to do a "root cause analysis" of the problem. Their confusion on ownership seems like the root cause.

Over it's life the RBR750 has been a pita.

Message 6 of 21
CrimpOn
Guru

@mark_e_h wrote:

Apparently Netgear is confused as to who owns the equipment I thought I purchased from them. Apparently I'm only borrowing from them. Bad enough to make changes without asking. Even worse to not inform me of what they are doing.

I purchase electronic gizmos and install software all the time, and rarely have I taken the time to read the "Terms and Conditions" I am agreeing to.  It could be saying that I agree to be abducted by space aliens for all I know.  The T&C's that we all agreed to when unboxing and starting up Netgear routers are typical of what I find for most vendors:

https://www.netgear.com/about/terms-and-conditions/ 

Interesting sections include:

1. SOFTWARE UPDATES AND UPDATES TO THE PRODUCTS
    Software Updates. By using the Product, You agree to receive all Software Updates and upgrades that NETGEAR sends to the software included in the Product. You specifically agree Your Product may: (i) communicate with NETGEAR servers from time to time to automatically check for available updates, such as bug fixes, critical system updates, patches, enhanced functions, upgrades, missing plug-ins and new versions (collectively, “Software Updates”) and (ii) install the Software Updates. Such Software Updates may be in various forms and are generally provided for the purposes of improving the performance, security and reliability of the Product.

I particularly like this part of 23:

NETGEAR makes no warranty that the Product will meet Your requirements or that use of the Product will be uninterrupted, timely, secure or error-free; nor does NETGEAR make any warranty as to the accuracy or reliability of any information obtained through the Product (including third party content), that any defects in the Product will be corrected or that the Product will be compatible with any other specific hardware or Product.

Message 7 of 21
mark_e_h
Star

I guess NG could brick your router, and not violate terms of what you agreed to. Which I think they came pretty close to doing.....

foo....

Message 8 of 21
Bigtuna00
Aspirant

This is the best part from the stickied post (emphasis mine):

If you are still having trouble managing your Orbi system or your subscriptions after the fix has been released to everyone:

How on earth would we know this?

Message 9 of 21
Garwoofoo
Apprentice

The issue isn't universal. I'm running the latest version of the firmware (the one that was subsequently withdrawn because of this issue) and I don't have any problems accessing the web management page or loading the Orbi app.

In fact the last two firmware updates have been completely stable for me and my system is functioning very well, after months of frustration with the previous releases (and, going back even further, DNS issues with the product that also persisted for months before being fixed).

I'm dreading Netgear pushing through another poorly-conceived update that causes a whole load of new issues. If I could just block any and all updates and leave my system exactly as it is right now, I would do so. But it seems that no matter what people try, the updates get through in the end somehow anyway.

Message 10 of 21
Garwoofoo
Apprentice

I have been monitoring that, and my system hasn't rebooted once since the firmware was applied. Current uptime 28 days.

Message 11 of 21
mark_e_h
Star

I have a RBR750 configuration backup from mid-April. Does anyone know if this includes the then active firmware??

I know all of you backup your router configuration regularly, right???😀

Message 12 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

I believe I posted v4.6.8.2 FW around 4-27 is when that version appeared. Anything before that would be all version prior to that. 

@mark_e_h wrote:

I have a RBR750 configuration backup from mid-April. Does anyone know if this includes the then active firmware??

I know all of you backup your router configuration regularly, right???😀

Message 13 of 21
mark_e_h
Star

After thinking about this for a few cold minutes, I realize the configuration backup is of no use, without access to the management console to re-load it.

Netgear really screwed us over..... 

Message 14 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Try a pressing the reset button in back of the RBR for 20 seconds then release. Have a wired PC connected to the RBR. I would turn OFF any RBS and disconnect the RBR from the ISP modem/ONT. You should regain access at HTTP:// 192.168.1.1 and be able to walk thru the setup wizard with the wired PC and web browser.

Message 15 of 21
mark_e_h
Star

Well, I must live right. Or something....

Today management web pages are magically back. IOS app works also.

A miracle!

thx to all who answered.....

Router now reports (if it matters)

Firmware Version
V4.6.8.2_2.1.9

Message 16 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad it's working. Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy. 📡

Message 17 of 21
mark_e_h
Star

I can't mark it as "solved", since I didn't do anything to solve it. I presume that NG updated firmware again (in secret, as always) and that's why it works. But I don't really know - perhaps the router just spontaneously "healed."

No way to solve a problem....

MH

Message 18 of 21
CrimpOn
Guru

The user who created the post can check the box "Accept as Solution", which is what puts the Green check mark next to the conversation.

Message 19 of 21
waka324
Aspirant

I'm still seeing this issue unfortunately. Any tips to fix aside from a factory reset?
Message 20 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

If you can not access the RBRs web page at all, you'll need to factory reset and setup from scratch. 

@waka324 wrote:
I'm still seeing this issue unfortunately. Any tips to fix aside from a factory reset?

Message 21 of 21
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 20 replies
  • 8 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7