Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

New Online Update 4.6.3.16 (RBR850/RBS850)

pickwit
Tutor

New Online Update 4.6.3.16 (RBR850/RBS850)

Just did a downgrade from 4.6.3.9 to 3.2.18.1, factory resetted and I see Netgear are pushing an update automatically to 4.6.3.16. (see attached screenshot)

This firmware is not available as an official manual update as the latest one on their downloads page is 4.6.3.9.

Has anyone updated to this firmware yet? Is it a different firmware to the beta firmware 4.6.3.16?

Message 1 of 190

Accepted Solutions
jayeshm
Apprentice

Re: New Online Update 4.6.3.16 (RBR850/RBS850)

@FURRYe38 wrote:

v3.2.11.2 was last version with telnet in the debug.htm UI. 

@jayeshm wrote:

Thanks.

I will throw it up in my guest room and see how it holds up for a few days.

Just for checking, if one has to stick with a 3.xx firmware which one do you personally recommend?

Firstly thanks for all the help furry. You have been patiently helping everyone here, and while i was being sarcastic earlier, your help is much appreciated.

Using PFsense i threw up on an old nuc, i was able to block all updates and manually shift to 3.2.18xx which is the last v3 update. So far it seems to work. Taking your advice i reset them entirely, kept them off for half a day, and then plugged them back in and added them back. I think one of my satellites is a bit wonky, since it oddly loses connection once in a while, but the rest of them seem to be holding up fine.

I  have been able to successfully block updates via pfsense, since whenever i check via firmware updates manually, it gives a connection error. I looked up all the names suggested here in the various threads and added all of them to a small blocklist.

View solution in original post

Message 180 of 190

All Replies
jgosnell56
Aspirant

Mine auto-upgraded to 4.6.3.16 and I was having the same issues as users with the 750 series units in other threads.  I downgraded back to 4.6.3.9 and it seems a little more stable but not like before.  When I get back home I will do a reset on 4.6.3.9 and see if that resolves the stability issues.

Message 2 of 190
pickwit
Tutor

I have attached this firmware's release notes here. It also answers my question on the beta forum as to why remote management was removed. If you are foreseeing the possiblity of useing remote management as an option, please enable it before upgrading as the release notes suggest (i personally prefer it to the mobile app).

It really looks like NG have pushed this update as an "urgent fix" to 4.6.3.9 as it does not appear on their downloads page.

Message 3 of 190
FURRYe38
Guru

I've been using the beta v16 and it's been working well for me on my 853 series...

NG sometimes pushes FW to Orbis before posting up on there download site. I presume we may see the download site updated soon though. I believe the fixes seen on beta will be put same on the release once that hits.

@pickwit wrote:

Just did a downgrade from 4.6.3.9 to 3.2.18.1, factory resetted and I see Netgear are pushing an update automatically to 4.6.3.16. (see attached screenshot)

This firmware is not available as an official manual update as the latest one on their downloads page is 4.6.3.9.

Has anyone updated to this firmware yet? Is it a different firmware to the beta firmware 4.6.3.16?

Message 4 of 190
pickwit
Tutor

@FURRYe38 wrote:

I've been using the beta v16 and it's been working well for me on my 853 series...

NG sometimes pushes FW to Orbis before posting up on there download site. I presume we may see the download site updated soon though. I believe the fixes seen on beta will be put same on the release once that hits.

@pickwit wrote:

I'm going to bite the bullet and upgrade and report back any issues. 

Message 5 of 190
Kielty
Star

No issues here. Orbi app reported an update to firmware and asked if I wanted to install. Install went according to plan via the app and all working well. No issues as yet - full wireless speed everywhere 300/50 internet.

Running RBK852 in router mode with Armor activated and guest SSID, 2 static IP addresses.

Just installed right over 4.6.3.9 no factory reset required.

Maybe I just got lucky!
Message 6 of 190
FURRYe38
Guru

OK, I did a full power OFF of the RBS and RBR for 1-2 minutes then back ON with the RBR then RBS after FW updated and they came to ready. 

@pickwit wrote:

I'm going to bite the bullet and upgrade and report back any issues. 

Message 7 of 190
pickwit
Tutor

Same here. I see the version is reported as  V4.6.3.16_2.0.51. (see screenshot)

It retained my remote management settings as wellSmiley Happy

What is the beta's full filename for v4.6.3.16_?.?.?

Message 8 of 190
N3tworkDud3
Apprentice

Well - thanks for this thread and the one in the 7xx area. Woke up today to find wifi network issues. Web pages not reacting as they should, slowness all around. Speed tests reported about 25 Mbps with devices and Orbi reporting 54 Mbps connectivity. Hardwired connectivity was okay. WHOA that was bizarre.

Have FIOS 1 Gb. Did the whole troubleshooting thing - bouncing all routers and APs - even going back to bounce the ONC. Nothing helped. Finally did a factory reset which seemed to return my connectivity to normal. Have to laugh, though - the speed test is still jacked. "Supposed" to be fixed in this update.

Wonder what the deal is with thiis update? Would also love for Netgear to advise people the update is coming. Jerks.

Message 9 of 190
FURRYe38
Guru

I see you have a 8 series system. One thing you can do prior to a FR is powering OFF the ISP Modem, RBR and RBS for 2-3 minutes then back ON. 

If your system is back up and running, Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System

@N3tworkDud3 wrote:

Well - thanks for this thread and the one in the 7xx area. Woke up today to find wifi network issues. Web pages not reacting as they should, slowness all around. Speed tests reported about 25 Mbps with devices and Orbi reporting 54 Mbps connectivity. Hardwired connectivity was okay. WHOA that was bizarre.

Have FIOS 1 Gb. Did the whole troubleshooting thing - bouncing all routers and APs - even going back to bounce the ONC. Nothing helped. Finally did a factory reset which seemed to return my connectivity to normal. Have to laugh, though - the speed test is still jacked. "Supposed" to be fixed in this update.

Wonder what the deal is with thiis update? Would also love for Netgear to advise people the update is coming. Jerks.

Message 10 of 190
kolella
Apprentice

After updating my RBK852 system to version V4.6.3.16_2.0.51 satellite wouldn't connect to router. Only after erasing satellite (2 times) and router I was able to sync both systems again.

I now face another problem: when the router is in "router mode" i can see 1 attached sattelite and N attached devices in the orbi web home page (right most tile) but as soon as I put the orbi in "AP mode" the attached satellite disapears from the home page (it is also invisible in firmware update page) but it is still visibile in the detailed attached devices page (the one where backhaul status quality is displayed).

I know that both pages do ajax requests and that requests to get_attached_devices result in:

{
    "satellites": [
        {
            "mac": "XXXXXX",
            "type": "Router",
            "model": "RBS850",
            "name": "Orbi Satellite-1",
            "ip": "192.168.3.45",
            "connectionType": "Wired",
            "connectionImg": "img/wiredConnection.png",
            "ConnectedOrbi": "Orbi Router",
            "backhaulStatusStyle": "TextGreen",
            "backhaulStatus": "Good",
            "category": "0",
            "status": 255,
            "sat_type": 1,
            "led_status": 0,
            "led_brightness": 0,
            "led_sync": 0,
            "voice_reg": "",
            "ConnectedOrbiMAC": "XXXXX"
        }
    ],

whereas requests done to basicstatus.cgi result in:

{
    "internet": 0,
    "internet_head": "STATUS",
    "internet_text": "GOOD",
    "satellites_num": 0,
    "devices_num": 27
}

Is this a webinterface glitch or does this cause problems with device not routing automatically between nodes?

I've tried changing wifi parameters in the router and after a few seconds those were synced to the satellite 

Message 11 of 190
FURRYe38
Guru

What broswser are you using? 

Has a full power OFF of the RBR and RBS for 1-2 minutes been performed then back ON with the RBR then RBS? Give about 4-5 minutes for the web page to update.

What host router are you using when in AP mode? 

Should see similar on yours:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/New-V4-6-3-16/m-p/2140064/highlight/true#M19926

Message 12 of 190
kolella
Apprentice

@FURRYe38 wrote:

What broswser are you using? 

Has a full power OFF of the RBR and RBS for 1-2 minutes been performed then back ON with the RBR then RBS? Give about 4-5 minutes for the web page to update.

What host router are you using when in AP mode? 

Should see similar on yours:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/New-V4-6-3-16/m-p/2140064/highlight/true#M19926

Browser: Safari on Mackbook Pro and Chrome on Pixel 5 but that doesn't mean anything because the pages reflect simply the variables they get from the ajax requests: "satellites_num": 0 from basicstatus.cgi etc.

Both satellite and router have been rebooted multiple times (keeping them off for more than x minutes) and the page even after waiting for 30 minutes is still the same.

Router when in AP mode: Vigor2865

Message 13 of 190
FURRYe38
Guru

What OSX version are you using on the mac? 

I'll re-check mine as my captures were done on a Windows 10x64 PC and MS EDGE. 

I have OSX 12 beta on my Mac Book Pro. 

Message 14 of 190
Seanh77
Guide

Yes they did update it last night and jacked up both my systems too. Previously a month ago i had updated to version 4 manually (.6), and a lot of my sats became disconnected or poor. at that time i was able to manually load all my sats back to version 3 but not my router. Then everything worked great again. Now last night they forced everything to update again to (.16) and now they are all screwed. Im going to manually update my sats back to 3.18 and i bet they work again
Message 15 of 190
FURRYe38
Guru

Has a power off for 1 minute then back ON with the ISP modem and Orbi system been performed since last update?

Please continue to post in the 7 series thread for your model orbi.

Thanks

@Seanh77 wrote:
Yes they did update it last night and jacked up both my systems too. Previously a month ago i had updated to version 4 manually (.6), and a lot of my sats became disconnected or poor. at that time i was able to manually load all my sats back to version 3 but not my router. Then everything worked great again. Now last night they forced everything to update again to (.16) and now they are all screwed. Im going to manually update my sats back to 3.18 and i bet they work again

Message 16 of 190
kolella
Apprentice

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Why do you ask for the osx (11.5.2) version (it doesn't change the router/satellite behaviour)?

I've learned my lesson (don't fix what is already sufficient). I've reverted both the RBR and the RBS to V3.2.18.1_1.4.14 and everything works as expected. 

just wasted 5 hours of my day but who cares (surely netgear doesn't)

Message 17 of 190
Seanh77
Guide

how did you revert? my previous solutions were to change back as well but i could only revert sats and not router(which still solved problems). however, i just reverted my sats now and after resetting everything they are updated back to latest again, so revert did not stick....

Message 18 of 190
FURRYe38
Guru

Are you blocking the update services? If you are, your system may auto update on it's own back to v16.

@kolella wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Why do you ask for the osx (11.5.2) version (it doesn't change the router/satellite behaviour)?

I've learned my lesson (don't fix what is already sufficient). I've reverted both the RBR and the RBS to V3.2.18.1_1.4.14 and everything works as expected. 

just wasted 5 hours of my day but who cares (surely netgear doesn't)

Message 19 of 190
kolella
Apprentice

@Seanh77 wrote:

how did you revert? my previous solutions were to change back as well but i could only revert sats and not router(which still solved problems). however, i just reverted my sats now and after resetting everything they are updated back to latest again, so revert did not stick....

to revert the RBR just edit the html page after manually selecting the new firmware. The "yes" button is just hidden (change "display: none" to "display: block")

Message 20 of 190
Seanh77
Guide

interesting, i wish i knew how to do that, not sure how to edit html. will they not just force the new version back on? i reverted my sats back to 3.18 which solved this for me previously, but i just did it now(sats only), and netgear pushed it back to new version within a few mins. my only prob currently is poor connection on several of my sats, which by looking at orbi app i can attribute to not daisy chaining anymore, they all want to connect directly with router(even when giving it time overnight to adjust). On 3.18 everything has always worked perfectly. i wish i could get everything back to 3.18 and block netgear from updating it.

Message 21 of 190
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 22 of 190
Seanh77
Guide

thx for info! however, seems moot as they keep updating back to 4.16. i guess i will live with my sats having poor connection for now as others seem to have more serious problems and all my devices are still working. i have a system with 2 sats and a system with 10 sats, from what i can tell all my "poor" sat status' stem from the orbis not daisy chaining as they did before, they all want to connect directly to router(obviously i am talking about the wireless sats, not the ones i have hard wired). only good thing is this introduced me to this blog, as netgear is too painful to reach and talk to, and you guys seem way smarter!!

Message 23 of 190
N3tworkDud3
Apprentice

Yes, I do have an 8 series system. When I said "Did the whole troubleshooting thing - bouncing all routers and APs - even going back to bounce the ONC." it included powering off everything. I guess people are not familiar with the term "bounce" - in the server support world, it's a reboot. To be more clear, my troubleshooting steps were:

• Run speed tests from multiple devices. All were in the 20 Mb range in a network that normally provides 300-400Mb to each wireless device
  • Check the link speeds as reported
    • Orbi reproted 54 Mb when normally in the 500Mb to 1000+Mb range
    • Mac OSX reproted 54 Mb when normally in the 500Mb to 1000+Mb range.
    • stopping and restarting wifi on devices with slow links to Orbi.
    • Check speed at cable modem - speeds in range - 800Mb+
  • Power down both cable modem and Orbi system - RBR and RBS.
  • Power up cable modem - wait for positive connectivity
  • Power up RBR - wait for positive connectivity
  • Power up RBS - wait for positive connectivity,
  • Recheck link speeds. They all remained the same. 
  • Checked link speed at cable modem. Speeds in normal range - 800Mb+
  • Cycle power to FIOS ONC - the box where fiber comes in, ethernet comes out.
  • Recheck everything - nothign is normal.
  • Throughout this process, it was difficult accessing the Orbi home page and the Orbi app failed to respond normally. Often - the web page would not populate.
  • Last ditch effort - reset to factory default by pressing the button on the rear of the RBR. That was the fix in my case.
Message 24 of 190
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy.

@N3tworkDud3 wrote:

Yes, I do have an 8 series system. When I said "Did the whole troubleshooting thing - bouncing all routers and APs - even going back to bounce the ONC." it included powering off everything. I guess people are not familiar with the term "bounce" - in the server support world, it's a reboot. To be more clear, my troubleshooting steps were:

• Run speed tests from multiple devices. All were in the 20 Mb range in a network that normally provides 300-400Mb to each wireless device
  • Check the link speeds as reported
    • Orbi reproted 54 Mb when normally in the 500Mb to 1000+Mb range
    • Mac OSX reproted 54 Mb when normally in the 500Mb to 1000+Mb range.
    • stopping and restarting wifi on devices with slow links to Orbi.
    • Check speed at cable modem - speeds in range - 800Mb+
  • Power down both cable modem and Orbi system - RBR and RBS.
  • Power up cable modem - wait for positive connectivity
  • Power up RBR - wait for positive connectivity
  • Power up RBS - wait for positive connectivity,
  • Recheck link speeds. They all remained the same. 
  • Checked link speed at cable modem. Speeds in normal range - 800Mb+
  • Cycle power to FIOS ONC - the box where fiber comes in, ethernet comes out.
  • Recheck everything - nothign is normal.
  • Throughout this process, it was difficult accessing the Orbi home page and the Orbi app failed to respond normally. Often - the web page would not populate.
  • Last ditch effort - reset to factory default by pressing the button on the rear of the RBR. That was the fix in my case.

Message 25 of 190
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7