Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: New Online Update 4.6.3.16 (RBR850/RBS850)

FURRYe38
Guru

If you can do the revert and block then your system won't update back to v4. 

Another alternative solution is to use a 2ndary up stream router in front of the RBR and block NGs update services there. 

@Seanh77 wrote:

thx for info! however, seems moot as they keep updating back to 4.16. i guess i will live with my sats having poor connection for now as others seem to have more serious problems and all my devices are still working. i have a system with 2 sats and a system with 10 sats, from what i can tell all my "poor" sat status' stem from the orbis not daisy chaining as they did before, they all want to connect directly to router(obviously i am talking about the wireless sats, not the ones i have hard wired). only good thing is this introduced me to this blog, as netgear is too painful to reach and talk to, and you guys seem way smarter!!

Message 26 of 190
FURRYe38
Guru

Same here:

Firmware Version
V4.6.3.16_2.0.51 

And I applied v16 from beta file sent to me by NG on downloaded on 9/11. 

@pickwit wrote:

Same here. I see the version is reported as  V4.6.3.16_2.0.51. (see screenshot)

It retained my remote management settings as wellSmiley Happy

What is the beta's full filename for v4.6.3.16_?.?.?

Message 27 of 190
titaniumrx8
Apprentice

@Seanh77 wrote:

thx for info! however, seems moot as they keep updating back to 4.16. i guess i will live with my sats having poor connection for now as others seem to have more serious problems and all my devices are still working. i have a system with 2 sats and a system with 10 sats, from what i can tell all my "poor" sat status' stem from the orbis not daisy chaining as they did before, they all want to connect directly to router(obviously i am talking about the wireless sats, not the ones i have hard wired). only good thing is this introduced me to this blog, as netgear is too painful to reach and talk to, and you guys seem way smarter!!

Have you tried reducing the transmit power? With 10 sats you've probably got tons of overlapping coverage. If you cut power it might force daisy chain if a home run back to RBS would be too weak.

Message 28 of 190
Seanh77
Guide

they are spread out over 50 acres(around 200 ft between sats), worked perfect on 3.18. 8 sats are hardwired to separate cabins and only two are wireless. this only happened after i updated to 4.9. then when i forced sats back to 3.18 worked perfect again. now netgear's forced update to 4.16 has caused two wireless sats to connect to router instead of nearby hardwired sats that they connected to before, essentially refusing to daisy chain as before. when i went home to my other property i have two sats, and same problem, sat on first floor refuses to connect to sat on second floor as it did before, insists on connecting to router directly on third floor, seems i have no daisy chain abilities after firmware 4 updates. two locations in two diff states, same issue. backhaul shows as poor when previously were all good for 1yr plus. tried resets, factory erase, changing channels, changing power, etc. nothing helps. all devices still connect and work but with poor backhaul status. could be worse but frustrating when all was perfect before. now my only real problem is one wireless sat that womnt connect most of time as it is trying to reach router when there is a wired sat 30-40 ft away that it connected to fine before.

Message 29 of 190
Seanh77
Guide

thx for all your help, i unfortunately do not have the expertise to know how to block netgear from updating me, i wish i did, as i know for a fact 3.18 works perfectly for both my locations, rbr850 w/2 wireless sats, and rbr850 w/8 hardwired and 2 wireless sats.

Message 30 of 190
Seanh77
Guide

does reducing power even affect backhaul? i thought it only affected wifi transmit power for devices.....

Message 31 of 190
jgosnell56
Aspirant

I have been fighting with mine as well with similar issues.  After 3 factory resets, pulling power for 15 minutes, and disabling the AX settings I now appear to have stability back.  Satellite was a pian to get reconnected but finally got it.  

Message 32 of 190
RafS
Apprentice

I've been on 4.6.3.16 for the past week without issues. Definitely more stable in my case than 4.6.3.9 was. Did power down everything, including the modem, after the update, and everything has been running smoothly since. Also upgraded my buddies RBK752 last week with same results. I did not do a clean install from .9 to .16 but plan on doing so in the next couple of weeks. 

Message 33 of 190
Seanh77
Guide

i really would hate to disable ax features, pretty much makes having a wifi 6 system moot, but glad u are up and running

Message 34 of 190
jgosnell56
Aspirant

So I just went back and enabled AX features on the 5Ghz cahnnel only and I am still stable.  I have no reason to enable it on the 2.4 Ghz channel so I will leave it disabled for now.

Message 35 of 190
aberthil
Aspirant

I must applaud Netgear, this firmware completly borke wired backhaul and now the system is completly useless, BRAVO.

One would think this is one of the main thing to test before release a firmware upgrade....

In addition, the router does not want to be downgraded to 3.2.18 where at least this was working properly, anyone knows how to do this when you are stuck with this page....

Message 36 of 190
FURRYe38
Guru

How did it break your wired back haul? Whats happening? 

Wired back haul working for me on v16:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6/New-V4-6-3-16/m-p/2140064/highlight/true#M19926

Power OFF the RBR and RBS? 

Ensure the RBS are updated and using same version of FW? 

Factory reset the RBR and RBS and setup from scratch? 

RBS directly connected to the RBR or is there a LAN switch in between? 

@aberthil wrote:

I must applaud Netgear, this firmware completly borke wired backhaul and now the system is completly useless, BRAVO.

One would think this is one of the main thing to test before release a firmware upgrade....

In addition, the router does not want to be downgraded to 3.2.18 where at least this was working properly, anyone knows how to do this when you are stuck with this page....

Message 37 of 190
N3tworkDud3
Apprentice

Update on my situation - the status of the Backhaul was poor. I have never seen a status other than good in the time I've had this system installed (over a year). 

I decided to go ahead and reset the satellite and re-pair it to the RBR. Just in case it had a problem like the RBR did. I reset and re-paired the RBS to RBR. Seemed to fix it, but I'm noticing the Backhaul status is actually changing from Poor to Good and back. I see Poor more than Good.

Went to the RBS to see if I could reboot it remotely, just to see if after the process yesterday, it needed to reboot again. Nothing was connected to it. No option on its web page. Went to the debug page. Strange thing - it reported the device as an RBS 750, not 850. The main page does state it's an RBS850. Wonder if this is an indication of our issues with satellites - the firmware doesn't identify the hardware correctly? 

I checked the debug page of the RBR and it does identify as the RBR850 correctly.

Message 38 of 190
FURRYe38
Guru

So the actual RBS is a 850? Log into the RBS web page and confirm it's a 850...

What is the distance you have the RBS place from the RBR? Try moving the RBS closer to the RBR, maybe on a edge of wifi signal is at Poor and Good and moving it closer may fully get it into good. 

You might do a reset on the RBR and RBS as well...

@N3tworkDud3 wrote:

Update on my situation - the status of the Backhaul was poor. I have never seen a status other than good in the time I've had this system installed (over a year). 

I decided to go ahead and reset the satellite and re-pair it to the RBR. Just in case it had a problem like the RBR did. I reset and re-paired the RBS to RBR. Seemed to fix it, but I'm noticing the Backhaul status is actually changing from Poor to Good and back. I see Poor more than Good.

Went to the RBS to see if I could reboot it remotely, just to see if after the process yesterday, it needed to reboot again. Nothing was connected to it. No option on its web page. Went to the debug page. Strange thing - it reported the device as an RBS 750, not 850. The main page does state it's an RBS850. Wonder if this is an indication of our issues with satellites - the firmware doesn't identify the hardware correctly? 

I checked the debug page of the RBR and it does identify as the RBR850 correctly.

Message 39 of 190
N3tworkDud3
Apprentice

Furrye38 - I appreciate the input but this thread is about the firmware update and issues with it. I can assure you the RBS is an 850.  I bought the RBK850 with one RBR850 and one RBS850. When I said "The main page does state it's an RBS850" right after saying the Debug page said RBS750 - it meant I went to the RBS web page for crying out loud. 

Also - the distance has NOT changed at all in the time I've had this system. The ENTIRE time the backhaul reported Good.

Please - whatever Netgear did to the firmware was negligant. Maybe take a breath and consider what people are saying - read to understand - and consider the link back to the firmware update the night before.

Thanks.

Message 40 of 190
FURRYe38
Guru

Try this as this seem to help this user out:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6/WIFI-disconnecting-2-3-times-a-day-with-Orbi-RBK852-850...

If not, You'll need to contact NG support and open a support ticket then and get there help and information regarding your system if your having problems with it. 

Good Luck

@N3tworkDud3 wrote:

Furrye38 - I appreciate the input but this thread is about the firmware update and issues with it. I can assure you the RBS is an 850.  I bought the RBK850 with one RBR850 and one RBS850. When I said "The main page does state it's an RBS850" right after saying the Debug page said RBS750 - it meant I went to the RBS web page for crying out loud. 

Also - the distance has NOT changed at all in the time I've had this system. The ENTIRE time the backhaul reported Good.

Please - whatever Netgear did to the firmware was negligant. Maybe take a breath and consider what people are saying - read to understand - and consider the link back to the firmware update the night before.

Thanks.

Message 41 of 190
Garwoofoo
Apprentice

This update has definitely caused issues for me.

I've got two satellites and previously they each connected directly to the router with a really strong signal.

Since this update was automatically applied (which I am very cross about), Satellite 2 insists on connecting to Satellite 1 rather than the router, so I now have a daisy-chain topology. The signal on Satellite 2 is now not as strong as it was.

If I disconnect Satellite 1 completely, Satellite 2 WILL connect to the router, but the connection is now very poor whereas previously it was very strong. I have no idea why this would be and nothing else has changed apart from the firmware update.

I've switched off everything for ten minutes and reconnected it all and this behaviour is consistent. It's not a major problem I guess but it's notably worse than it was on the old firmware and I have no idea why it is exhibiting this behaviour now.

Forcing firmware updates on equipment that people are relying on to be able to work effectively from home is extremely poor behaviour, in my opinion. My system was perfect before... now, not so much.

Message 42 of 190
FURRYe38
Guru

Try this as this seem to help this user out:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6/WIFI-disconnecting-2-3-times-a-day-with-Orbi-RBK852-850...

@Garwoofoo wrote:

This update has definitely caused issues for me.

I've got two satellites and previously they each connected directly to the router with a really strong signal.

Since this update was automatically applied (which I am very cross about), Satellite 2 insists on connecting to Satellite 1 rather than the router, so I now have a daisy-chain topology. The signal on Satellite 2 is now not as strong as it was.

If I disconnect Satellite 1 completely, Satellite 2 WILL connect to the router, but the connection is now very poor whereas previously it was very strong. I have no idea why this would be and nothing else has changed apart from the firmware update.

I've switched off everything for ten minutes and reconnected it all and this behaviour is consistent. It's not a major problem I guess but it's notably worse than it was on the old firmware and I have no idea why it is exhibiting this behaviour now.

Forcing firmware updates on equipment that people are relying on to be able to work effectively from home is extremely poor behaviour, in my opinion. My system was perfect before... now, not so much.

Message 43 of 190
Garwoofoo
Apprentice

Yeah that's exactly what I've done. I've got the .16 firmware installed on all three devices and I've done the shutdown / staggered restart. It's made no difference. But I think my problem is different anyway as I'm not getting disconnects, it's just the weird behaviour that the second satellite is exhibiting.

Message 44 of 190
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure the RBS are updated and using same version of FW.

Try a full on Factory reset on the RBR and RBS and setup from scratch. Press the reset button for 15 seconds then release. Turn OFF the RBS and setup the RBR first. Once it's setup, re-sync the RBS one at a time...

Message 45 of 190
Garwoofoo
Apprentice

All three devices are using the same version of the firmware.

Carrying out a factory reset hasn't made any difference, it's still displaying the same problems. I've also now caught the satellite rebooting itself, which is the problem that others have been reporting in both the 850 and 750 threads. Seems undeniable that it's this dodgy firmware that's causing problems across the board.

Message 46 of 190
FURRYe38
Guru

Downgrade back to v3 then...

Message 47 of 190
N3tworkDud3
Apprentice

I see they have now posted this firmware on the website. I recommend those of us who no longer have support go vote the firmware down and in the comments box, let them know how you feel about the firmware. In my comment, i asked them to come to the community and look at the issues people are posting about. Here's a direct link:

https://kb.netgear.com/000064038/RBR850-RBS850-Firmware-Version-4-6-3-16?language=en_US#

Oh - and in case someone from Netgear Orbi product support acutally comes here to read any of this:

• Fixes the issue where the speed test shows incorrect results.

Yeah - NO IT DOESN'T!!!!!  You keep saying it does - but the majority of the time it does NOT. When the app or web page reports a slower speed than what I get on a device connected to the router/satellite, there's a problem. When the speed reported by a device directly connected to the router reports higher numbers than the app or web page, there's a problem. This issue has existed since Oct 2020.

Who's running this product group anyway? A hiigh school kid? Heck - maybe a high school kid could do a better job, what am I saying........

Message 48 of 190
FURRYe38
Guru

Downgrade back to v3 then...

Message 49 of 190
Garwoofoo
Apprentice

Is there a guide as to how to downgrade back to v3, and to prevent Netgear automatically reinstalling the broken v4 firmware?

Message 50 of 190
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7