Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: New Online Update 4.6.3.16 (RBR850/RBS850)

FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure to contact NG support and let them know about this. 

@Quaksyx wrote:

So the autoupdate had hit one of my satellites [RBS850] now too (previously had updated only my router [RBR850]).  My other satellite was knocked offline, which I assume was related to the autoupdate trying to push to it too.  Nonetheless, I went ahead and updated the final satellite to 4.6.3.16, uneventfully (thank god).  Everything was working...

I decided to go for bust and try to enable the Ethernet Port Aggregation setting again, which I reported being unsuccessful with following my previous update to the v4.x.x.x firmware series (but was running successfully prior to v4.x.x.x).  FURRYe38 had reported diffiicultly as well here with the same but was able to finally get connectivity following release/renew of the router's IP a few times.  

Unfortunately, I was not so lucky.  Once I enabled the Ethernet Port Aggregation on my modem, made the extra connection between modem and Orbi router with another ethernet cable, and enable the setting on the Orbi, it lost internet connectivity and could not pull an IP address.  I attempted to release/renew the Orbi over the next 5-10 minutes to no avail.  Turning off the Ethernet Port Aggregation setting did not restore my connectivity.  I could not access the config setting of my modem to turn it back off there either.  I finally had to factory reset my cable modem (via paper clip), directly connect my PC to it and reactivate it onto the Comcast network, then factory reset my Orbi and set it all up again to re-establish connectivity.  This was a bit painful to say the least...

I'm back up again, everything is working, but I'm not able to use Ethernet Port Aggregation anymore.  Allegedly my downstream link from Comcast is 1.2 Gbps, but w/o that feature, I'm only able to realize 1 Gbps.  Guess it's not that big of a deal, but it would be nice if Netgear would rectify this issue.

Message 126 of 190
bullm00n
Luminary

@Quaksyx wrote:

So the autoupdate had hit one of my satellites [RBS850] now too (previously had updated only my router [RBR850]).  My other satellite was knocked offline, which I assume was related to the autoupdate trying to push to it too.  Nonetheless, I went ahead and updated the final satellite to 4.6.3.16, uneventfully (thank god).  Everything was working...

I decided to go for bust and try to enable the Ethernet Port Aggregation setting again, which I reported being unsuccessful with following my previous update to the v4.x.x.x firmware series (but was running successfully prior to v4.x.x.x).  FURRYe38 had reported diffiicultly as well here with the same but was able to finally get connectivity following release/renew of the router's IP a few times.  

Unfortunately, I was not so lucky.  Once I enabled the Ethernet Port Aggregation on my modem, made the extra connection between modem and Orbi router with another ethernet cable, and enable the setting on the Orbi, it lost internet connectivity and could not pull an IP address.  I attempted to release/renew the Orbi over the next 5-10 minutes to no avail.  Turning off the Ethernet Port Aggregation setting did not restore my connectivity.  I could not access the config setting of my modem to turn it back off there either.  I finally had to factory reset my cable modem (via paper clip), directly connect my PC to it and reactivate it onto the Comcast network, then factory reset my Orbi and set it all up again to re-establish connectivity.  This was a bit painful to say the least...

I'm back up again, everything is working, but I'm not able to use Ethernet Port Aggregation anymore.  Allegedly my downstream link from Comcast is 1.2 Gbps, but w/o that feature, I'm only able to realize 1 Gbps.  Guess it's not that big of a deal, but it would be nice if Netgear would rectify this issue.

I had initial issues with Port Aggregation as well, but this seems normal for me...what I did was unplug the 2nd cable and get things running without Aggregation, and then once all was stable, I plugged the cable back in and enabled it and rebooted everything.  This has been typical since day one with the 850, but it does finally work.

Message 127 of 190
tjtrimble
Luminary

Disappointed....this seems like Beta Software.  I skipped the 4.6.3.9 upgrade due to all the negative comments and it looked like everything was fixed version 16.  First, only of my wired satelites appeared in the network map.  I readded the satelite successfully using the wireless backhaul, then plugged in the wire for the backhaul.  The network map (router & 2 wired satellites) was displaying correctly on the apple mobile app, but it only shows the one satellite the windows web version.  Oddly, the second satellite shows up as a connected device when you click on the connected device tile.  Also, the speed test feature does not work in either the web version or apple app.  From what I can tell, the router and satellites are working properly, but I wouldn't know that by looking at app/web interface page.  Netgear really needs to up their QC on the firmware....I expect better for what they are charging for this system!  (RBK853, wired backhaul in AP mode, 1GB Fios)

Message 128 of 190
FURRYe38
Guru

I downgrade my system to v18 couple of weeks ago. Wanted to see if it worked. It worked. Also system worked on AP mode as of yesterday;

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6/Orbi-RBK-752-Satellite-not-connecting-when-router-is-in...

After I was finished checking AP mode with RBS ethernet conencted on v3 yesterday, I figured lets see what happens if I let the system update back to v4/16. I used the RBRs FW update web page check for FW updates and v16 was seen for all. I selected the UPDATE ALL button and let'r rip. I saw the RBS start to blink WHITE and the RBR finally started blinking WHITE. The RBS came back online and showed BLUE. RBR pulsated WHITE then turned OFF. I powered OFF the RBS and RBR for a couple of minutes, then back on with the RBR first then RBS lastly. RBS turned BLUE then eventually turned OFF. RBR still in AP mode and RBS ethernet connected to the RBR via HP ProCurve 1400 series LAN switch. 

Message 129 of 190
bullm00n
Luminary

@tjtrimble wrote:

Disappointed....this seems like Beta Software.  I skipped the 4.6.3.9 upgrade due to all the negative comments and it looked like everything was fixed version 16.  First, only of my wired satelites appeared in the network map.  I readded the satelite successfully using the wireless backhaul, then plugged in the wire for the backhaul.  The network map (router & 2 wired satellites) was displaying correctly on the apple mobile app, but it only shows the one satellite the windows web version.  Oddly, the second satellite shows up as a connected device when you click on the connected device tile.  Also, the speed test feature does not work in either the web version or apple app.  From what I can tell, the router and satellites are working properly, but I wouldn't know that by looking at app/web interface page.  Netgear really needs to up their QC on the firmware....I expect better for what they are charging for this system!  (RBK853, wired backhaul in AP mode, 1GB Fios)

I skipped 4.6.3.9 as well as it was so short-lived I never had the time to do it.  But this version seems solid and I did a "dirty upgrade" - no reset, just manual install, power off for 30 minutes or so while I was working on something else, then it booted up fine other than the Wan Aggregation which always takes a bit to get set up.  I cannot comment on the 2nd BRS as I only have one and it is wired, but everything else seems fine and the Speedtest and other features seem OK both from the Browser or iPhone app.

So crazy how we all see quite different and odd issues.  I did have Speedtest issues yesterday, but I think that may have been related to WEB outages: Facebook, Xfinity Mobile, and Ookla at least for me didn't work most of the day.

Message 130 of 190
N3tworkDud3
Apprentice

{deleted}

Message 131 of 190
FURRYe38
Guru

Well were hoping that with the newer 7 series FW, that NG will be publishing same for the 8 series. Give it some time though as Im sure NG wants to see results of 7 series experiences before sending out 8 series. Smiley Wink

Message 132 of 190
tjtrimble
Luminary

Any word on the 4.6.5.x "upgrade" for the 8 series?  All my devices appear to functioning properly, however the UI is still a complete mess (inconsistent between web/app, missing satellite, devices showing as wired when they are wireless, speed test inop)  This firmware fiasco really inspires me to upgrade to the new 6E version of the Orbi for $1500....NOT.

Message 133 of 190
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 134 of 190
N3tworkDud3
Apprentice

@tjtrimble wrote:

This firmware fiasco really inspires me to upgrade to the new 6E version of the Orbi for $1500....NOT.

OMG - I thought you were insane until I saw the NOT. ASUS - I'm considering going with their AI-Mesh stuff. 

Message 135 of 190
GoldenRetroGame
Apprentice

@N3tworkDud3 wrote:

OMG - I thought you were insane until I saw the NOT. ASUS - I'm considering going with their AI-Mesh stuff. 

My previous AI-Mesh configuration was much more reliable. I've had to take my service provider's modem out of gateway mode, so I could use it in front of the Orbi to block the update servers. That's letting me stay on the V3 firmware until they fix things.

I'm considering either going back to an Asus config or move to Ubiquiti.

Message 136 of 190
tjtrimble
Luminary

Finally did the factory reset.  (First time ever I needed to do this for a firmware upgrade for any electronic).  It fixed the SpeedTest, but the interfaces between the web app and mobile app still do not tie out.  I still have one satellite that is acting buggy when wired directly to the router, but seem so be fine when on a wireless backhaul.  I'm hoping the delay in 4.6.5.X means Netgear is actually testing the firmware before they release it!  I"ll let it go for a few more days before I learn about Edge Developer mode and how to block the firmware upgrade website to get my Orbi back to a stable state.

Message 137 of 190
FURRYe38
Guru

Did you reset the RBS as well? 

Are the RBS on same version of FW as the RBR? 

"I still have one satellite that is acting buggy when wired directly to the router" What does this mean? 

@tjtrimble wrote:

Finally did the factory reset.  (First time ever I needed to do this for a firmware upgrade for any electronic).  It fixed the SpeedTest, but the interfaces between the web app and mobile app still do not tie out.  I still have one satellite that is acting buggy when wired directly to the router, but seem so be fine when on a wireless backhaul.  I'm hoping the delay in 4.6.5.X means Netgear is actually testing the firmware before they release it!  I"ll let it go for a few more days before I learn about Edge Developer mode and how to block the firmware upgrade website to get my Orbi back to a stable state.

Message 138 of 190
tjtrimble
Luminary

Yes, the RBR and the 2 RBS's are on 4.6.3.16.  I reset them all (blinking amber light), then went through the entire setup process.  I then configured it as an access point with a static ip address.  I was able to get the second satellite connected via the wired backhaul  after connecting it wirelessly then pluging the cat 5 cable in.  (both satelittes are directly connected via Cat5e/Cat6 to the router)  The phone app shows the network map properly but doesn't show any devices connected to Satellite 1 (but does  show connected devices on Sat 2).  The web app only shows only 1 satelliite connected, but when you click on connected devices, it shows both satelittes connected.  Only the router and Sat 2 show wireless devices connected.  Also when you go to upgrade firmware menu only the router and Sat 2 show up.  However if I log into Sat 1 directly via the web ip address, it shows several wirelessly connected devices  (they show up as wired on the router page).  It seems to working, but the interfaces are just a mess.  I guess if I don't look at the interfaces I wouldnt know it was messed up.

Message 139 of 190
FURRYe38
Guru

I recommend not mixed CAT cable versions. 

1 RBS not appearing in the RBRs web page maybe a bad cable. 

Can you access both RBS web page successfully? 

What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

Just because 1 RBS doesn't have any connected devices doesn't mean its not working. Its up to devices to pick and choose where they conenct too. Test this out by turning OFF the other RBS and leave this 1 RBS running and see. 

What browser are you using? 

Message 140 of 190
tjtrimble
Luminary

This worked flawlessly on the version 3 firmware and the minute I "upgraded" these issues started happening, so I don't suspect a cable issue.  The cable runs are about 55-65 ft.  The router is in the middle of the 1st floor in a closet, the 1st Satelitte is far west corner of the 2nd floor, the 2nd Sat is the far east corner of the 3rd floor.  If it was straight shot, I would say they are 35-40+ft apart, but they have to go through sheet rock, hardwood floors, and a door or two.  I can log into both satellites directly and both show devices connecting to each.  I am using primarily MS Edge.  I prefer the wired backhaul since I found I get better performance.

Message 141 of 190
bullm00n
Luminary

@tjtrimble wrote:

This worked flawlessly on the version 3 firmware and the minute I "upgraded" these issues started happening, so I don't suspect a cable issue.  The cable runs are about 55-65 ft.  The router is in the middle of the 1st floor in a closet, the 1st Satelitte is far west corner of the 2nd floor, the 2nd Sat is the far east corner of the 3rd floor.  If it was straight shot, I would say they are 35-40+ft apart, but they have to go through sheet rock, hardwood floors, and a door or two.  I can log into both satellites directly and both show devices connecting to each.  I am using primarily MS Edge.  I prefer the wired backhaul since I found I get better performance.

I agree, wired backhaul does give better performance and no reason I can see not to wire it if you have the wire in place.  I don't think cat5 vs cat6 will matter unless you are pushing long cable runs or 10 Gbps connections.  All my runs are cat5 or cat5e.

I'd shut it all down, give it a several minute rest, then start the RBR and let things settle down.  Then add an RBS and see how that goes.  Then add the final RBS.  If things get wonky, try again, but swap the RBS's and see if the problem follows the particular RBS or the connection/cable/ports.  I have noticed a few times after upgrading, everything seems touch and go for a while and then settles down - and this firmware build has been solid for me with both the app and WEB interfaces behaving well.  I have only the one wired RBS though.

Message 142 of 190
FURRYe38
Guru

After the system udpates to v4, are you powering OFF the RBS and RBR for a good full minute or more then back ON? 

I'm not seeing any RBS issues with my system and my RBS are ethernet connected, NG GS 105 and 1 108 series switches in between. 

I would be sure to test both RBS ethernet connected directly behind the RBR while in same room or near to the RBR with good quality LAN cable as a test. Test either 1 at a time or both at the same time. Check operation and front LED behaviors. 

Lastly I would do a factory reset and setup from scratch. This has helped some. 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6-AX-and-WiFi-6E-AXE/New-RBR850-RBS850-Firmware-Version-4...

@tjtrimble wrote:

Message 143 of 190
ahswp
Apprentice

I'm also done with this netgear junk. Thankfuly I can still return mine to Costco. Trying to find a good alternative also. Need something that is wireless mesh. Also considering ubiquity (alien?) but open to other suggestions.

Message 144 of 190
tjtrimble
Luminary

Yes, I have tried leaving them off for up to an enitre hour before.  I'm getting solid blue everytime I boot them up.  Same behavior...Sat 1 appears correctly on the interface when on a wireless backhaul, but when I'm wired the interfaces are inconsistant.

• Wireless backhual for for Sat 1....interface is consistant between web and app
  • Wired, Orbi app shows both wired satelites, Web-shows only one satellite but shows it under a connected device tile, no connected devices for Sat 1
  • Wired, able to log directly into both satelittes via web and see both have connected devices

I would be interested to hear from other users on this forum with 2  or more wired satelites on this version firmware in AP mode to see if they are seeing similar behavior.

Definitely disappointed with Netgear...I was Netgear fanboy with RBK53 AC version which is why I didn't hesitate on upgrading to the RBK853 once I had a few Ax devices.  I was realitvely happy with that purchase until V4 of this firmware came out.  I was always taught it was easier to keep existing customers than attract new ones.  Apparently Netgear hasn't learned that yet.

Message 145 of 190
FURRYe38
Guru

I would try a full on factory reset on the RBS and RBR and setup from scratch. Something I did do once after downgrading back to v3 to check to see if that was possible. Something also you can try as well. 

It's possible there maybe a bad state on your RBR thats not getting updated right when ethernet connected. 

I did update back to v16 and was IN AP mode. RBS working well and appearing correctly on the RBRs web page. 

@tjtrimble wrote:

Yes, I have tried leaving them off for up to an enitre hour before.  I'm getting solid blue everytime I boot them up.  Same behavior...Sat 1 appears correctly on the interface when on a wireless backhaul, but when I'm wired the interfaces are inconsistant.

• Wireless backhual for for Sat 1....interface is consistant between web and app
  • Wired, Orbi app shows both wired satelites, Web-shows only one satellite but shows it under a connected device tile, no connected devices for Sat 1
  • Wired, able to log directly into both satelittes via web and see both have connected devices

I would be interested to hear from other users on this forum with 2  or more wired satelites on this version firmware in AP mode to see if they are seeing similar behavior.

Definitely disappointed with Netgear...I was Netgear fanboy with RBK53 AC version which is why I didn't hesitate on upgrading to the RBK853 once I had a few Ax devices.  I was realitvely happy with that purchase until V4 of this firmware came out.  I was always taught it was easier to keep existing customers than attract new ones.  Apparently Netgear hasn't learned that yet.

Message 146 of 190
tjtrimble
Luminary

I appreciate all the help.  I just did the full factory reset yesterday.  I will wait for the next version of firmware and try that.  If that doesn't work its back to version 3 and I will never do another Netgear firmware upgrade again.  When it comes time to upgrade hardware again, I'll be shopping around.

Message 147 of 190
FURRYe38
Guru

What happens if you swap RBS with each other, does the problem follow the RBS or main on that one ethernet line? 

Message 148 of 190
tjtrimble
Luminary

It follows the device.  Are there any other sites I need to block on my router (Fios router since I am using Orbi in AP mode) besides update.netgear.com and fw.update.netgear.com?  I really appreciate the effort to help, but I have wasted way too much time on this.  I've always been a big believer in updating to the latest version since they sometimes include enhancements/fixes not listed in the update notes, but now I am in the camp if isn't broken, dont' fix it.

Message 149 of 190
FURRYe38
Guru

If the problem if following the RBS then there maybe a fault in the RBS that v4 is revealing as well. If the other RBS works, then this would not be a FW issue. 

Only site you need to block if you revert back to v3 is devcom.up.netgear.com 13.225.0.117 <this one is only needed to block Orbi AX.

I found that blocking other addresses seems to cause the Orbi AX system to stop working and gives a front PINK LED indication. 

Message 150 of 190
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7