Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

New Online Update 4.6.3.16 (RBR850/RBS850)

FURRYe38
Guru

Re: New Online Update 4.6.3.16 (RBR850/RBS850)

You'd have to connect a PC to the modem with out the RBR online to see if same thing happens there.

Did the just start happening today? If so, possible ISP issue...

@bullm00n wrote:

Seeing something odd lately: I notice after several hours my devices no longer have IPV6 access.  I can reboot my entire network - router, switch, modem - and the problem persists.  The only way to clear it is to go into the Orbi admin and reset the IPV6 connection type to auto and let it update the settings. After that, my PC will show IPV6 internet access. I did this early this morning and by noon, IPV6 was dead again. It could be the Orbi, the modem, or just Xfinity mucking around doing something.  Anyone else seeing anything like this?

Message 176 of 190
bullm00n
Luminary

@FURRYe38 wrote:

You'd have to connect a PC to the modem with out the RBR online to see if same thing happens there.

Did the just start happening today? If so, possible ISP issue...

@bullm00n wrote:

Seeing something odd lately: I notice after several hours my devices no longer have IPV6 access.  I can reboot my entire network - router, switch, modem - and the problem persists.  The only way to clear it is to go into the Orbi admin and reset the IPV6 connection type to auto and let it update the settings. After that, my PC will show IPV6 internet access. I did this early this morning and by noon, IPV6 was dead again. It could be the Orbi, the modem, or just Xfinity mucking around doing something.  Anyone else seeing anything like this?

Not sure how that would work with a PC, plus major disruption to do that.  I have no idea how long it's been going on - I'd never know unless I check the PC's network status which I don't normally do unless there's an issue.  Yesterday, some sites were acting slow, so that's what prompted me to look and noticed I had no ipv6 connection.  I'll keep a closer eye on it - it's odd that rebooting everything doesn't help - it's like the RBR needs to "renegotiate" its ipv6 connection with the modem/ISP and must be made to do it on the admin page.  

Message 177 of 190
FURRYe38
Guru

Instead of rebooting everyhing, try a full power OFF of the ISP modem and RBR for 1 minute then back ON. 

You'll need to see when this happens and if it does again, try a wired PC connected to the modem to see if the problem happens there as well. Might ask the ISP if they see any odd things in this area between them and you in there logs when you notice this. Keep track of time frames and dates. If nothing happens on the ISP or Modem side, could be a FW issue. Not the first time IPv6 is been a problem. Smiley Frustrated

@bullm00n wrote:

Not sure how that would work with a PC, plus major disruption to do that.  I have no idea how long it's been going on - I'd never know unless I check the PC's network status which I don't normally do unless there's an issue.  Yesterday, some sites were acting slow, so that's what prompted me to look and noticed I had no ipv6 connection.  I'll keep a closer eye on it - it's odd that rebooting everything doesn't help - it's like the RBR needs to "renegotiate" its ipv6 connection with the modem/ISP and must be made to do it on the admin page.  

Message 178 of 190
jayeshm
Apprentice

@N3tworkDud3 wrote:

@jayeshm wrote:

No **bleep** sherlock N3tworkDud3

I was asking what FIRMWARE he has on his particular ones, since we have all been DOWNGRADING across the forums.

NO REALLY THANKS MORON.

Ok then, couldn't believe you were asking that question which is why I started with "Really??" Let me help you with an english lesson that may assist you with getting responses in the future:

"What firmware are the 8 series on furry?" As the only sentence in your post without reference to anythign else, should have been "What firmware are on YOUR 8 series, Furry? That YOUR is an important part of the communication. One may otherwise think you are asking waht the latest 8 series firmware availabilty is - such as what may have been released on the 7 series is now available on th 8 series. 

See - that's civil. Not hard. No need to react the way you did. Oh - and I'm not downgrading, it's a pain in the ass. The better option is replacement with another brand NOT owned by Netgear or any partent or subsidiary thereof. 

Firstly shut up and mind your own business. This question is directed at another user; you lack the comprehension to discern facts and understand that little nuance. Secondly, an English language lesson is the ultimate bourgeois move. When people like you don't have anything to add to a discussion, you will descend into pedantic posting like this for self-validation.

Hint you are not adding anything to this discussion. So be on your merry way before you make yourself look further like a fool and a troll.

Message 179 of 190
jayeshm
Apprentice

@FURRYe38 wrote:

v3.2.11.2 was last version with telnet in the debug.htm UI. 

@jayeshm wrote:

Thanks.

I will throw it up in my guest room and see how it holds up for a few days.

Just for checking, if one has to stick with a 3.xx firmware which one do you personally recommend?

Firstly thanks for all the help furry. You have been patiently helping everyone here, and while i was being sarcastic earlier, your help is much appreciated.

Using PFsense i threw up on an old nuc, i was able to block all updates and manually shift to 3.2.18xx which is the last v3 update. So far it seems to work. Taking your advice i reset them entirely, kept them off for half a day, and then plugged them back in and added them back. I think one of my satellites is a bit wonky, since it oddly loses connection once in a while, but the rest of them seem to be holding up fine.

I  have been able to successfully block updates via pfsense, since whenever i check via firmware updates manually, it gives a connection error. I looked up all the names suggested here in the various threads and added all of them to a small blocklist.

Message 180 of 190
jayeshm
Apprentice

Oh i forgot to add, for now my network is staying on my old Unifi gear. That's very stable but i will gradually introduce the 4.6xx firmware to the orbis and see if they settle down. I am guessing netgear will issue a fix for this sooner than later.

Message 181 of 190
FURRYe38
Guru

Some people don't understand the concept of ABC conversations. LOL Your good man. 

Glad the blocking worked for you. Should keep your system from dating until NG comes out with a fix. Smiley Embarassed

Yes the system should report either Services Not Reachable or an error when checking for FW updates. Means it's blocked. 

@jayeshm wrote:

Firstly thanks for all the help furry. You have been patiently helping everyone here, and while i was being sarcastic earlier, your help is much appreciated.

Using PFsense i threw up on an old nuc, i was able to block all updates and manually shift to 3.2.18xx which is the last v3 update. So far it seems to work. Taking your advice i reset them entirely, kept them off for half a day, and then plugged them back in and added them back. I think one of my satellites is a bit wonky, since it oddly loses connection once in a while, but the rest of them seem to be holding up fine.

I  have been able to successfully block updates via pfsense, since whenever i check via firmware updates manually, it gives a connection error. I looked up all the names suggested here in the various threads and added all of them to a small blocklist.

Message 182 of 190
Dd852
Luminary

Sorry if this is totally obvious but you need to reboot all your clients (computers, phones...) after the system reboot to ensure that you have sticky ipv6. At least that's what works for me. 

Message 183 of 190
jayeshm
Apprentice

Just wanted to get back after running it in homelab for a few days.

It's been not very stable, but oddly when i switched it entirely to AP (i setup a pfsense in front to block updates) it has been running like a champ.

RBR - 3.2.18xx - DNS issues persistent but i am using an intel nuc to route it so it stays okay. Very hesitant to upgrade to 4.6xx series till i see someone give me an all clear on this. I know you have been able to get it working, but only a daily basis most people are  unable to get it to stay working consistently.

TLDR;

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Some people don't understand the concept of ABC conversations. LOL Your good man. 

Glad the blocking worked for you. Should keep your system from dating until NG comes out with a fix. Smiley Embarassed

Yes the system should report either Services Not Reachable or an error when checking for FW updates. Means it's blocked. 

@jayeshm wrote:

Message 184 of 190
FURRYe38
Guru

Thanks for letting us know. I'd keep v3 running for now. 

@jayeshm wrote:

Just wanted to get back after running it in homelab for a few days.

It's been not very stable, but oddly when i switched it entirely to AP (i setup a pfsense in front to block updates) it has been running like a champ.

RBR - 3.2.18xx - DNS issues persistent but i am using an intel nuc to route it so it stays okay. Very hesitant to upgrade to 4.6xx series till i see someone give me an all clear on this. I know you have been able to get it working, but only a daily basis most people are  unable to get it to stay working consistently.

Message 185 of 190
tjtrimble
Luminary

I agree....stay on v3!  I have had quite  a few random drops of connectivity on v4.  I have removed the wired backhaul from one of my satellites and seeing if that helps with the stability.  I would hate to dump my Orbi  RBK853 after spending $1k on it and only using it for 9 months.  V3 I had no issues with it except where the speedtest was inop for a couple of weeks.  Still waiting on 4.6.5.x to give that a shot.

Message 186 of 190
bullm00n
Luminary

So I did something interesting a week ago...

We had been hitting the limit on data for Xfinity and getting overage charges, so I saw their deal for unlimited and it turns out to be $5 cheaper if I use their Xfi gateway.  So, I decided to try it.

Pros:

- free support, and that's a big deal as with the RBR852 I have no real support.

- no dropping IPV6.  I don't know if that was definitely an Orbi problem, but the temporary fix was to toggle the Orbi IPV6 settings - daily!  That and a quick search showed numerous complaints of the same issue with various Netgear routers and IPV6. Hmmm!

- Speed is decent - maybe not as spunky as the Orbi, but good...see caveat below.  For wired devices, performance is the same.

- Features like Circle and Armor are built-in at no extra charge.

- they've buried the monthly rental into the unlimited price, so it turns out to be the best way to get unlimited data.

Cons:

- the UI is somewhat of a mess in terms of device management: devices don't show as connected that clearly are.  There's a direct browser interface to the gateway and also a WEB/cloud-based management UI that have overlapping features.  They are not the same and devices named in one don't get the name in the other.  The direct UI has no way to rename a DHCP device unless I assign an IP address and then revert it to DHCP - pain in the neck and many devices just show up as MAC addresses.  I use a tool call "Advanced IP Scanner" that can help sort them out, but it's a pain.

- the WIFI coverage.  They offer "pods" to extend it into a mesh like Orbi, but they require a 14 day "eval" period to determine if I get a free pod or not.  We definitely need one as we did with the Orbi to get good coverage, so in some parts of the house, WIF is weak and slow for now.  Worst case, I'll put the Orbi into AP mode, but not until after the "eval" period.  Hopefully I can get a Pod and sell the Orbi at a loss - cut my losses.

To be clear, I would not have done this to solve Orbi issues - they were annoying, but livable.  Except the IPV6 thing was becoming a drag.  I did it to stop the internet overage fees. It is a shame though that Orbi has so many issues that seem like basic router functions that are problematic. What is up with that? FWIW, the CM1150V voice/data modem is very nice and worked like a champ especially paired with the ‎RBK53 setup.

I'll either become an AP Orbi user or move on altogether - hate the idea of rental equip and dismal admin UI (Orbi barely better anyway), but so far seems like the best way for us.

Message 187 of 190
FURRYe38
Guru

Try Orbi in AP mode since you have the ISP modem/router. Just turn OFF the wifi radios on the ISP modem. 

@bullm00n wrote:

So I did something interesting a week ago...

We had been hitting the limit on data for Xfinity and getting overage charges, so I saw their deal for unlimited and it turns out to be $5 cheaper if I use their Xfi gateway.  So, I decided to try it.

Pros:

- free support, and that's a big deal as with the RBR852 I have no real support.

- no dropping IPV6.  I don't know if that was definitely an Orbi problem, but the temporary fix was to toggle the Orbi IPV6 settings - daily!  That and a quick search showed numerous complaints of the same issue with various Netgear routers and IPV6. Hmmm!

- Speed is decent - maybe not as spunky as the Orbi, but good...see caveat below.  For wired devices, performance is the same.

- Features like Circle and Armor are built-in at no extra charge.

- they've buried the monthly rental into the unlimited price, so it turns out to be the best way to get unlimited data.

Cons:

- the UI is somewhat of a mess in terms of device management: devices don't show as connected that clearly are.  There's a direct browser interface to the gateway and also a WEB/cloud-based management UI that have overlapping features.  They are not the same and devices named in one don't get the name in the other.  The direct UI has no way to rename a DHCP device unless I assign an IP address and then revert it to DHCP - pain in the neck and many devices just show up as MAC addresses.  I use a tool call "Advanced IP Scanner" that can help sort them out, but it's a pain.

- the WIFI coverage.  They offer "pods" to extend it into a mesh like Orbi, but they require a 14 day "eval" period to determine if I get a free pod or not.  We definitely need one as we did with the Orbi to get good coverage, so in some parts of the house, WIF is weak and slow for now.  Worst case, I'll put the Orbi into AP mode, but not until after the "eval" period.  Hopefully I can get a Pod and sell the Orbi at a loss - cut my losses.

To be clear, I would not have done this to solve Orbi issues - they were annoying, but livable.  Except the IPV6 thing was becoming a drag.  I did it to stop the internet overage fees. It is a shame though that Orbi has so many issues that seem like basic router functions that are problematic. What is up with that? FWIW, the CM1150V voice/data modem is very nice and worked like a champ especially paired with the ‎RBK53 setup.

I'll either become an AP Orbi user or move on altogether - hate the idea of rental equip and dismal admin UI (Orbi barely better anyway), but so far seems like the best way for us.

Message 188 of 190
bullm00n
Luminary

@elayton28 wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Try Orbi in AP mode since you have the ISP modem/router. Just turn OFF the wifi radios on the ISP modem. 

Why?  You'll then experience internet drops and extremely slow wifi speeds.  Orbi is complete garbage.  I am moving on after this BS firmware update and terrible service.  

My experience has been the opposite.  Orbi was blazing fast for us all over the house compared to anything I've ever used.  Mostly it was great aside from a few niggling issues with basic features...but they weren't that serious: stupid in a modern router at this price or any price really, but not that serious. We have 60 some odd devices connected, and it worked well with all of them in terms of connectivity and performance.  If they could fix the basic routing features to do what routers do without glitching out, it would be fantastic.

I may use it in AP mode if Xfinity doesn't come through with the pods. For now, I can't, or it will likely mess up whatever performance data they are collecting as part of the eval.

Message 189 of 190
FURRYe38
Guru

My Orbi works as well, both in router mode an in AP mode. 

Message 190 of 190
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7