Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: New - RBK752/753 Firmware Version 4.6.3.7 Released

FURRYe38
Guru

Things change man. FW code, features, some things get out dated or removed, all kinds of crazy things. Specially when going from one major version to a different newer major version, like v3 to v4. I get it, should keep working thru FW updates but FW is faliible and not perfect. So resets are needed. Then make a new back up to file for use on the new version

Message 476 of 525
ChristineT
Admin

Good morning @RayBan_21 ,

Yes, this is different than the beta and worth updating your system again. 🙂

Best,

Christine

Message 477 of 525
cpmassen
Apprentice

If I do a hard reset but do a back up of my current configuration, do I lose all of the names that I have associated with my attached devices and the people that have been assigned to them in parental controls? I just don’t wanna have to re-set up all of those devices again.
Message 478 of 525
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes. 

Please continue to post over in the cable modem forum regarding your CBR750.

Thank you. 

@cpmassen wrote:
If I do a hard reset but do a back up of my current configuration, do I lose all of the names that I have associated with my attached devices and the people that have been assigned to them in parental controls? I just don’t wanna have to re-set up all of those devices again.

Message 479 of 525
ChristineT
Admin

Hello @cpmassen ,

My recommendation would be to simply perform the update and monitor your system before doing a reset. We typically only recommend a hard reset if you notice any anomalies with the stability or performance of your system. Otherwise, if you are not experiencing any issues after the update a hard reset is not required. I do believe a hard reset would clear your Parently Control settings but I'll have to test that to be 100% certain. I'll pose this question internally to confirm and let you know if new information is available.

Please keep us posted on your progress with the update and the results. I'll be sure to share your feedback with the engineering team.

Best,

Christine

Message 480 of 525
ahswp
Apprentice

I need to echo what MANY other people have said. Its TOTALLY irresponsible of Netgear to 1) Push a firmware that has not been tested 2) not allow to downgrade when 20 pages of complaints show up on the forum. 
I get that things happen and mistakes happen but 1) If they do , at least allow us to manually roll back - especially if there so are many complains 2) Netgear should have acknowledged the problem earlier. 

No one is perfect. Netgear can release something with a bug , I get it. However when a consumer spends $450 and then gets pushed a firmware and Netgear says NOTHING for 2 months - shame on you Netgear!

How hard would it have been to let people manually roll back? Does Netgear not know that people are working from home and having zoom crash multiple times a day because your router crashes is a huge problem?!?! 

Next time 1) Roll out your auto update sooner! 2) Allow for a rollback when there is a problem 3) We understand fixes don't come overnight, but don't wait 2 months to say something. 

While I won't be returning this router (yet) to Costco, I doubt I'll ever buy from Netgear again. 

Message 481 of 525
swamgy1
Guide

I'm sorry but I'm confused. Should we be updating to:

4.6.3.7_2.0.49 which showed up on the support downloads section of the site?

Or

V4.6.3.16 version that Christine linked to in the forum and in my Orbi Admin?

Message 482 of 525
FURRYe38
Guru

If your on v3, i'd maintain it for now. If you want to, update using >"my Orbi Admin" on the RBR.

If you update, after the RBS and RBR is updated. Do a pull power OFF of the system for 2 minutes then back ON. Include the ISP modem/ONT in this as well. 

Avoid the v7 version. 

@swamgy1 wrote:

I'm sorry but I'm confused. Should we be updating to:

4.6.3.7_2.0.49 which showed up on the support downloads section of the site?

Or

V4.6.3.16 version that Christine linked to in the forum and in my Orbi Admin?

Message 483 of 525
ddkumar
Star

Netgear pushed software v4.3.16 to my Orbi RBK752 early today.  The version on the website Firmware Downloads page is still the older version v4.3.7.  I don't appreciate having software pushed to my system that isn't even on the Downloads page.  First impression is that the device disconnect problem seems better, but it is too soon to be sure.  I had already used the 2.4GHz power reduction trick (lowering 2.4GHz power creates less of signal overlap with the router and satellite and definitely helped my problems with v4.3.7). The router internal speed test seems better (used to top out at ~600Mbs) but still does not reflect my full Xfinity gigabit service capability, which used to benchmark using the internal test around 1.2Gbs.  Now the internal test seems to tap out in the 900Mbs range.  I will test at a later time in the event there are some network load issues.

Message 484 of 525
FURRYe38
Guru

Do a pull power OFF of the system for 2 minutes then back ON. Include the ISP modem/ONT in this as well. 

@ddkumar wrote:

Netgear pushed software v4.3.16 to my Orbi RBK752 early today.  The version on the website Firmware Downloads page is still the older version v4.3.7.  I don't appreciate having software pushed to my system that isn't even on the Downloads page.  First impression is that the device disconnect problem seems better, but it is too soon to be sure.  I had already used the 2.4GHz power reduction trick (lowering 2.4GHz power creates less of signal overlap with the router and satellite and definitely helped my problems with v4.3.7). The router internal speed test seems better (used to top out at ~600Mbs) but still does not reflect my full Xfinity gigabit service capability, which used to benchmark using the internal test around 1.2Gbs.  Now the internal test seems to tap out in the 900Mbs range.  I will test at a later time in the event there are some network load issues.

Message 485 of 525
ddkumar
Star

Typo correction on firmware releases mentioned in my previous response...

Netgear pushed v4.6.3.16

Previous release was v4.6.3.7

Message 486 of 525
FURRYe38
Guru

👍

Message 487 of 525
ant
Prodigy
Prodigy

@ddkumar wrote:

Typo correction on firmware releases mentioned in my previous response...

Netgear pushed v4.6.3.16

Previous release was v4.6.3.7

Did v4.6.3.16 just come out earlier?

Message 488 of 525
crawrj
Guide

Are you saying the one they are going to post is different? Because the file you posted in #454 is the beta. The hash is the same which means the files are identical.

@ChristineT wrote:

Good morning @RayBan_21 ,

Yes, this is different than the beta and worth updating your system again. 🙂

Best,

Christine

Message 489 of 525
Engladian
Tutor

No, not yet. System seems to be stable (knock on wood) right now but if I see any issues I'll take that step.

Message 490 of 525
FURRYe38
Guru

👍

@Engladian wrote:

No, not yet. System seems to be stable (knock on wood) right now but if I see any issues I'll take that step.

Message 491 of 525
ddkumar
Star

Late update...

The internal speed test is now showing full throughput, which in my system maxes out at 1.4Gbs (through a LAG bonded cable modem).  This is equivalent to the result I was getting with the old stable firmware release.  Hurrah!  I have also not experienced the endpoint disconnect when switching between the router and the satellite in the newly pushed firmware.  I haven't turned AX back on yet. 

Message 492 of 525
FURRYe38
Guru

Good to hear. Can try enabled AX mode and see how it goes...

@ddkumar wrote:

Late update...

The internal speed test is now showing full throughput, which in my system maxes out at 1.4Gbs (through a LAG bonded cable modem).  This is equivalent to the result I was getting with the old stable firmware release.  Hurrah!  I have also not experienced the endpoint disconnect when switching between the router and the satellite in the newly pushed firmware.  I haven't turned AX back on yet. 

Message 493 of 525
titaniumrx8
Apprentice

After not having any responses on my open case from support for over 2 weeks, today I received the NDA to download the Beta 4.6.3.16

Not sure if it's worth installing if Netgear is going to push an automatic update which differs from the Beta any day now.

I've actually been pretty stable on 4.6.3.7 although it's annoying that AX mode is disabled to get the satellites working. I'll actually need to manually capture a lot of my settings if updating requires the factory reset that's going to wipe out my config. As a side note, I believe that part of the reason why I have been stable is that I assigned reserved IP addresses for all of my devices which seemed to keep the connections even for the mobile devices as they moved out of range and into another satellite range.

First thing that I'll be testing is AX mode since that's what my support case was mostly about.

Message 494 of 525
Berryvl
Star

I have upgraded to the Beta and did not perform a factory reset at all.

After the upgrade the system was not stable either with AX features enabled or disabled.

Then i unchecked the option for 20/40MHz Coexistence and with AX Features enabled the system is completely stable for almost 2 weeks now. (Finally feels like i have my old Orbi backSmiley Very Happy)

If my system would still be unstable today after upgrading I would have performed a factory reset but for the moment I follow the "if it aint broke, don't fix it" principle.

Message 495 of 525
FURRYe38
Guru

EVERYONE> v16 has been released and posted up to NGs download page for the Orbi 7 series.

Please post about any v16 experiences and problems here:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/New-RBR750-RBS750-Firmware-Version-4-6-3-16-Released/m-p/21...

Thank you.

Message 496 of 525
wjbridge
Star

@FURRYe38 wrote:

EVERYONE> v16 has been released and posted up to NGs download page for the Orbi 7 series.

Please post about any v16 experiences and problems here:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/New-RBR750-RBS750-Firmware-Version-4-6-3-16-Released/m-p/21...

Thank you.

Thanks for the info @FURRYe38 ! I am surprised they did not mention anything in the release notes regarding the stability problems and satellite disconnects...

Message 497 of 525
FURRYe38
Guru

I know. Releases notes have never been detailed enough. Smiley Frustrated

@wjbridge wrote:

Thanks for the info @FURRYe38 ! I am surprised they did not mention anything in the release notes regarding the stability problems and satellite disconnects...

Message 498 of 525
wjbridge
Star

@FURRYe38 wrote:

I know. Releases notes have never been detailed enough. Smiley Frustrated

@wjbridge wrote:

Well, if anyone expereinces problems with this latest version please post on these forums. I am eager to hear if this really solved the stability problems.

Message 499 of 525
FURRYe38
Guru

Please continue to monitor this thread for v16 experiences:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/New-RBR750-RBS750-Firmware-Version-4-6-3-16-Released/td-p/2...

As users migrate to v16, we'd like them to post there. 

Thank you. 

Message 500 of 525
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7