Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: New - RBKE9 Series - RBRE960 / RBSE960 Firmware Version 6.0.3.85

FURRYe38
Guru

New - RBKE9 Series - RBRE960 / RBSE960 Firmware Version 6.0.3.85

New Features:

• The IoT SSID is enabled by default after a factory reset.
  • DHCP Option 60 and 61 configurations are now supported in EU SKUs.

Security Fixes:

• Fixes security vulnerabilities.

For more information about security vulnerabilities, visit https://www.netgear.com/about/security/.

• PSV-2021-0279
  • PSV-2021-0196

Bug Fixes:

• Fixes the issue where the WAN port speed for the 10G connection is incorrect on the Show Statistics page.
  • Fixes wording in the text on wifi setting pages.
  • Fixes the issue where the Guest network password is missing on the Admin UI home page. 
  • Fixes the missing VLAN ID and Priority field values on the Edit VLAN Rule page.

Download Link:

https://kb.netgear.com/000064563/RBRE960-RBSE960-Firmware-Version-6-0-3-85?language=en_US

Firmware Update Instructions:

To update your router’s firmware, follow the instructions in your router’s user manual.

To find your user manual, visit https://www.netgear.com/support/, enter your model number in the search box, and click the Documentation button on the product page.

For Manual FW updates:

https://kb.netgear.com/000037217/How-do-I-check-and-manually-upgrade-the-firmware-on-my-Orbi-satelli...

https://kb.netgear.com/31573/How-do-I-manually-upgrade-firmware-on-my-Orbi-router-using-orbilogin-co...

This article applies to:

Let us know how it works for you...

Message 1 of 27
owlyn
Apprentice

I looked at the security page, and PSV-2021-0196 does not show.
Message 2 of 27
FURRYe38
Guru

Thanks for that fine. I'll have NG review that. 

Message 3 of 27
FURRYe38
Guru

Installed this today. 
Powered OFF RBR and RBS for a minute then back ON. No factory reset.

Manual channel 11 and 48 and 69(6Ghz). CTS 64. 

RBS are wireless connected. 

This version fixes a bug I found back on .68. Ethernet backhaul RBS if powered OFF then back ON, causes wireless devices fail to connect to any RBS thats ethernet connected. This is now fixed on v85. 

Will let this run and monitor this.

Message 4 of 27
owlyn
Apprentice

I also installed.85 today. Did the satellites first, then the router. Although I had both satellites checked off, it only did one, so I had to run it again. Then I did the router. Only one satellite connected, so I powered that satellite down and back up, and had to do a manual connect. Everything has been fine so far.
Message 5 of 27
FURRYe38
Guru

Just curious, are you updating FW to the RBS using the RBRs web page or directly on the RBS web page? 

@owlyn wrote:
I also installed.85 today. Did the satellites first, then the router. Although I had both satellites checked off, it only did one, so I had to run it again. Then I did the router. Only one satellite connected, so I powered that satellite down and back up, and had to do a manual connect. Everything has been fine so far.

Message 6 of 27
owlyn
Apprentice

The RBR web page, but the result is first displayed in the RBS web page.
Message 7 of 27
FURRYe38
Guru

I recommend going to the RBS web page first to manually send the FW file there. Then update the RBR lastly, when doing a manual FW update. 

Message 8 of 27
sethm1
Guide

Is this a beta version?

Message 9 of 27
DodgeDeBoulet
Apprentice

It's the version that installed automatically when I set my new RBKE9 router and satellites up 2 weeks ago. That generally doesn't happen with beta versions.

Message 10 of 27
Mikey94025
Hero

@sethm1 wrote:

Is this a beta version?

No, 6.0.3.85 is the latest official firmware version listed on Netgear's downloads site for the RBKE963: https://www.netgear.com/support/download/?model=RBKE963

Message 11 of 27
sethm1
Guide

thx. Trying to judge when the series 7 newest firmware is released. If 9 was in January and 8 was March 4th. Does this mean 7 (which is what I need) not till June? ! 
Hell, I hope not!

Message 12 of 27
FURRYe38
Guru

NG doesn't give us info if or when new FW is forth coming. I try to keep forums updated when I see FW released. Just keep an eye on NGs download site or here in the forums. 

THank you. 

Message 13 of 27
UnCapitano
Apprentice

My network has been super laggy on this firmware since I’ve installed it. Considering that I’d never had problems on the factory one, this is disappointing. I keep having network lag on my satellite connection even though any speed test claims I am getting at least 500Mbit.

Looking forward to an update.
Message 14 of 27
Mikey94025
Hero

@UnCapitano wrote:
My network has been super laggy on this firmware since I’ve installed it. Considering that I’d never had problems on the factory one, this is disappointing. I keep having network lag on my satellite connection even though any speed test claims I am getting at least 500Mbit.

Looking forward to an update.

Hmmm, I haven't seen that at all with my Orbi AXE system and this latest firmware version.  How many satellites are you running?  Maybe you can try turning some or all of them off, as a test to see if that changes any of your observed lag.

Message 15 of 27
brianld
Apprentice

I'm a big advocate of "If it isn't broke, don't fix it", but actually a bit surprised that we haven't seen any firmware update for these in several months.  

Message 16 of 27
FURRYe38
Guru

That's probably a good thing. Hasn't been a ton of users posting about bad things. 

Message 17 of 27
DodgeDeBoulet
Apprentice

Which doesn't mean  there aren't bad things.

I still can't get an iPad 2 to connect (works fine off an ancient WNDR4500), and a variety of devices drop off the network every 2 weeks or so. Mostly IoT stuff; smart switches, webcams and appliances. Reboot the router, and everything reconnects.

For about 2 weeks ...

NetGear appears to be stumped.

Message 18 of 27
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite 📡

What channels are you using? Auto?

What is the Transmit power level set to and what is the CTS value your using on the RBR. 

@DodgeDeBoulet wrote:

Which doesn't mean  there aren't bad things.

I still can't get an iPad 2 to connect (works fine off an ancient WNDR4500), and a variety of devices drop off the network every 2 weeks or so. Mostly IoT stuff; smart switches, webcams and appliances. Reboot the router, and everything reconnects.

For about 2 weeks ...

NetGear appears to be stumped.

Message 19 of 27
DodgeDeBoulet
Apprentice

House is over 4000sf, Orbi router is centrally located with 1 satellite 25' and the other 35' from the router, on separate floors with intervening wood-frame/sheet rock (including a 3/4" fireproof wall between the router and the closest satellite). The satellites are in opposite directions from the router, meaning they're ~60' from each other. Multiple channels have been tried (currently 2.4GHz at 1, 5GHz at 36, 6GHz at 69), we're 500' from our closest neighbor, and there are no overlapping 2.4 or 5GHz bands currently in use. Transmit power is at 100% and CTS/RTS threshold is back to 64ms after trying a number of larger settings and experiencing issues with partial frames on video from our webcams at anything significantly higher.

The satellites report good (green) connectivity; the backhaul is wireless.

Message 20 of 27
FURRYe38
Guru

The 25' RBS is too close to the RBR. Try it out a a farther distance and see. 

Try channel 40 on 5Ghz. 

Try lowering the power to 50% or 25%. 

For a 4000k sq ft home, maybe 1 too many RBS. I have 5000 sq ft home and at most use just one RBS. If I have two RBS in play, transmit power gets lowered to 50% or 25% depending on over all behaviors seen. 

These mesh systems can play havoc with IoT devices with too many signals that sometimes the devices will loose connection and won't reconnect or will ping pong back and forth causing problems or device battery supplies to drain.  

Distance and power is key along with having not too much wifi signals. 

Message 21 of 27
DodgeDeBoulet
Apprentice

So this is why it works flawlessly (with the exception of the iPad 2) for two weeks with excellent bandwidth and fantastic range, then mysteriously decides to drop IoT devices? When the first one falls off, the others follow at random intervals within 15-20 minutes. The devices are not always on the same Orbi unit; I've had instances where the group of IoT devices that dropped was spread across all 3. None of the IoT devices are battery-powered.

Doesn't that seem a little odd to you? I'd expect constant connectivity issues if there was some sort of contention going on between a router and satellite that are too close together. And I'd think that at US$1500, NetGear would build some freakin' smarts into the thing to prevent that from happening.

I can't really move the satellite at 25' any further out without building a weatherproof enclosure for it ... since it would have to be outside of the house. And I need the satellite in its current location because it's bridging a switch that the TV, XBox, TiVo Bolt and receiver are all wired into. I can't move the router for similar reasons.

And as far as "not too much wifi signals" is concerned, I've performed a spectrum analysis and I'm not competing with anything else in the area (there ain't much .... I'm out in the country on a fairly large property).

I've been working with NetGear 2nd tier support for months now. They have packet captures, logs, the results of my trying different channels and other configuration options (nothing positive).

I will try reducing the power ... that's the only thing I haven't attempted. I've already tried channel 40.

Are you using the RBKE9 series?

Message 22 of 27
FURRYe38
Guru

@DodgeDeBoulet wrote:

So this is why it works flawlessly (with the exception of the iPad 2) for two weeks with excellent bandwidth and fantastic range, then mysteriously decides to drop IoT devices? When the first one falls off, the others follow at random intervals within 15-20 minutes. The devices are not always on the same Orbi unit; I've had instances where the group of IoT devices that dropped was spread across all 3. None of the IoT devices are battery-powered.

Doesn't that seem a little odd to you? I'd expect constant connectivity issues if there was some sort of contention going on between a router and satellite that are too close together. And I'd think that at US$1500, NetGear would build some freakin' smarts into the thing to prevent that from happening.

I can't really move the satellite at 25' any further out without building a weatherproof enclosure for it ... since it would have to be outside of the house. And I need the satellite in its current location because it's bridging a switch that the TV, XBox, TiVo Bolt and receiver are all wired into. I can't move the router for similar reasons. Might try turning this RBS OFF for a bit and check, however lets see if turning out the power transmit helps first. 

And as far as "not too much wifi signals" is concerned, I've performed a spectrum analysis and I'm not competing with anything else in the area (there ain't much .... I'm out in the country on a fairly large property). Too much wifi signals refers to the in home wifi signals being produced by a MESH system. Not external signals. 

I've been working with NetGear 2nd tier support for months now. They have packet captures, logs, the results of my trying different channels and other configuration options (nothing positive).

I will try reducing the power ... that's the only thing I haven't attempted. I've already tried channel 40.

Are you using the RBKE9 series? Not in months since I've been testing other models. I had mine online when I first got it and hadn't noticed this kind of behavior. It was actually way better performing than when I first got the Orbi 8 series and went on the roller coaster ride with that system. I'm planning on putting the 9 series back online as main system real soon. 

Message 23 of 27
DodgeDeBoulet
Apprentice

Following up ... the power has been set to 50%. I'm imagining that I will need to wait a couple of weeks to see if the issue re-occurs, so I will try to remember to post an update.

I was also able to get the iPad 2 connected to the IoT network. That appears to have been a passphrase entry error on my part. I use lengthy and complex passphrases generated by LastPass, and it had apparently generated a password with a mixture of uppercase Is and lowercase ls. I'm hopeful you can tell which is which from the context .... but passphrase entry on the iPad provided none. I had to manually type the passphrase in and managed to mix up those two characters, somehow in multiple dozens of attempts.

Message 24 of 27
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok keep an eye on it. Mine went online yesterday, however it may not last long as I need to troubleshoot a problem on my SXR30 Orbi that I ran in to yesterday. 

I don't use complex or lengthy PWs here. House is all adults and neighbors are known and good people. Up to users on what they use and yes, you need to be sure you are entering in the PW values correctly. 🤔

Message 25 of 27
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 26 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7