Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

New - RBR350 / RBS350 Firmware Version 4.4.1.29 Released

Supersjel
Tutor

Re: New - RBR350 / RBS350 Firmware Version 4.4.1.29 Released

Yes, all "smart" protocols are off. But remember in the last test setup I removed the switch completely from the network. Less variables to tinker with. But makes no difference, couldn't find a working setup. Whenever the satelites are wired the guest network doesn't work. Funny enough, if your client is close to the the RBR the guest network works. So actually it's only the guest network supplied by the wired satelites that doesn't work.

Did the downgrade using the files to be in full control First the satelites, than the router. To be sure a factory reset. That's a good way to do it, all hardware is on the old firmware again. But the big surprise, that also doesn't fix my issue. I'm out of ideas.

My conclusion. If the RBR is in AP mode a guest network is only possible with a wireless backhaul. Maybe it only seemed to work with the old firmware because I was close to the wired RBR when I tested/used it. So possibly it's not firmware related as I thought. Seems like a bug netgear must work on (or confirm this setup is not supposed to work).

Of course, if anyone has a working setup with a RBR in AP mode, wired backhaul and a working guest network (also if the client connects on the RBS)... do tell!

Message 26 of 65
FURRYe38
Guru

I would reach out to NG support and have them review this. Possible more than meets the eye here on this one. 

@Blanca_O @KevinLiT 

Message 27 of 65
Supersjel
Tutor

Probably a stupid question ... but how do I do that. Googling guided me towards my registered products but it seems you only get support for 3 months? Is this the wrong way to do it? Maybe you got a link? 😉

Message 28 of 65
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 29 of 65
Supersjel
Tutor

Thanx! The second link was a good manual. 250 characters is really short to tell something but I managed to put a description of my issue in an attached pdf. I'll keep you informed about the answer.

Message 30 of 65
FURRYe38
Guru

👍

Message 31 of 65
Supersjel
Tutor

Contacted support and this case was investigated. The support itself was quick and good, the answer (for me) a bit disappointing. When in AP mode a guest network is officially not supported. It can be selected, might work but is not guaranteed. So bad luck in this case, it doesn't work with a wired backhaul. Official statement (this policy applies to all Netgear routers) is: https://kb.netgear.com/26765/Which-features-are-disabled-on-my-NETGEAR-router-when-it-is-set-to-AP-M...

So to avoid my mistake: don't buy an Orbi if you need AP mode and a guest Wifi network.
Message 32 of 65
FURRYe38
Guru

Typically Guest Network is only supported in router mode as is tied to the WAN side of the router for network separation from the LAN side of the Network. When in AP mode, there would be no separation thus presents a security risk. Reason why GN isn't supported in AP mode. 

Message 33 of 65
Supersjel
Tutor

Sound technical logic, however you would expect the manual to mention this limitation and the web gui of the Orbi to disable this option when in AP mode. It's confusion for the user now, you can use it and it works partly/in some AP mode confgurations. That was my feedback to Netgear, be clear about this functionality
Message 34 of 65
FURRYe38
Guru

We've passed this on to NG as we are seeing GN on the 7 and 8 series being enabled when it shouldn't be.

Thanks. 

Message 35 of 65
Gider1989
Aspirant

I have the same issue. I have recently purchased this system. It works perfectly until i plug a ethernet cable in. Then it turns magenta and disconnects. For reference, only one device (satellite tv) into a rbs350 satellite.
Message 36 of 65
FURRYe38
Guru

What ethernet cable are you plugging and where are you connecting this cable at? 

@Gider1989 wrote:
I have the same issue. I have recently purchased this system. It works perfectly until i plug a ethernet cable in. Then it turns magenta and disconnects. For reference, only one device (satellite tv) into a rbs350 satellite.

Message 37 of 65
Gider1989
Aspirant

The living room satellite is connected to the set top box. I believe it is a Cat5E cable. RBR 350 is in router mode connected to my isp. (910meg up and down) no issues with wifi.

Thank you
Message 38 of 65
FURRYe38
Guru

Is the RBS wireless or wired to the RBR? 

How far away is the RBS from the RBR? 30 feet is recommended starting distance. 

I would try a CAT6 cable...

Message 39 of 65
Gider1989
Aspirant

Wireless and id say close to 30ft. I will purchase a cat 6 and let you know the results. So far i have been using a powerline adapters solely for the device.

Thank you
Message 40 of 65
FURRYe38
Guru

So when connecting any wired device to the RBS the RBS turns PINK in front and stops working? 

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s). Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Message 41 of 65
Gider1989
Aspirant

Works for a short while then yes turns magenta. No other wifi networks close by. As long as i dont use a wired connection in the satellite everything is perfect. I have also contacted my tv company to test their device.
Message 42 of 65
FURRYe38
Guru

Do any other wired devices do this with the RBS? 

Message 43 of 65
Gider1989
Aspirant

Tested a laptop and playstation. Both trigger the same issue after a certain time.
Message 44 of 65
FURRYe38
Guru

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed on the system since last FW update?

How was the systems FW updated? Manually or thru Orbi app? 

@KevinLiT 

@Gider1989 wrote:
Tested a laptop and playstation. Both trigger the same issue after a certain time.

Message 45 of 65
Gider1989
Aspirant

Had phone support walk me through setup and latest firmware install.
Message 46 of 65
FURRYe38
Guru

Manually with web browser and files or thru Orbi app? 

Message 47 of 65
Gider1989
Aspirant

Web browser but did the updates i didn't drag and stop any files. Would that make a difference. I read the numbers to him he said it was correct. I did ask we the satellites had a different number to the router.
Message 48 of 65
FURRYe38
Guru

Not sure what it means by drag and stop. 

Something you can try, download the FW files for the RBR and RBS. 

Use the RBS web page to re-load and re-send the RBS FW file to the RBS. Then do the same thing for the RBR. 

After the system has processed everything and back to ready, power OFF the system for 1 minute then back ON. When the system is ready try the wired device connected to the RBS and see. Or you can try a full on factory reset and setup from scratch then test the device. 

I presume if the problem still happens, we'll need to get NG support involved here. 

Message 49 of 65
Gider1989
Aspirant

Yes and will give it go. My solution at the moment is to use powerline for the satellite tv box.

Thank you
Message 50 of 65
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 64 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 10 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7