Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: New RBR750 / RBS750 Firmware Version 4.6.3.16 Released

FURRYe38
Guru

What do you see on the Statisic page while you have AX Mode disabled? 

@titaniumrx8 wrote:

In the other threads I reported that on 9/14 NG finally gave me access to the beta FW, the same day many were reporting that 4.6.3.16 had become available. NG pushed the update onto my RBK753 before I had a chance to manually install the beta (which is apparently the same as 4.6.3.16)

One satellite was reporting on the web page that is was out of sync although there were some devices attached and working. Even though the other satellite was reporting good, there were no devices connected to it, same behavior demonstrated when the last update was pushed.

I powered off the router, satellites, modem and every connected device was turned off or wifi disabled. I powered back on in modem-router-satellite1-satellite2 sequence. Each device was not powered on until the previous device was fully online. Then wifi was re-enabled for each device.

So far, everything is connected and stable for about 3 hours. Most devices are connected to the most likely device although there are 2 devices reporting that they are connected to the furthest node (both are 2.4ghz devices so this doesn't seem logical because 2.4 is set for 50% power and the connections are 75+ feet and multiple walls in between).

I do AX mode is disabled, guest network is disabled, 20/40 coexistence is enable. I'll give this a few days before seeing if AX mode works and guest network will work. I've never had AX mode enabled even on the 3x FW but guest was another casualty of the 4x update.

Question, will AX mode make the backhaul channel run on Wifi 6?

Message 26 of 306
ChristineT
Admin

Hello @Stephonline ,

Thank you for reporting your experience! I'll relay this to our internal teams for further investigation. Are you experiencing similar issues with any devices connected via WiFi?

Again, thanks for sharing your experience!

ChristineT

Message 27 of 306
Stephonline
Guide

Hi Christine,

There doesnt seem to be any issues with clients though it was painful to get the satellite to mate to the host router.  At one point, the satellite LED went blue though the Orbi app reported that no satellite was attached.   Trying to re-sync with the push button switch also failed.  This is with the satellite two feet away from the host router!

I had to do a second factory reset and resync to get the satellite recognized.  When I moved it to its place upstairs and about 50 feet away, it went thru multiple retrainings before syncing up.  And there may be an issue because while I was working upstairs, I saw it go from blue to flashing white before finally going blue and then shutting the led off.

The unpredictable behavior seems to start about the tenth hour of operation.  The orbi router reports lots of data coming in from the attached CM1150V modem.. but wireless apps are stuttering and Oookla's speed test - which is normally reporting 600 - 800 mbs is barely making 7- 10 mbs.  Power cycling the Orbis seems to clear the issue for another 10 hours.  Software reset does generally NOT clear the issue.

I hope this is helpful.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 28 of 306
FURRYe38
Guru

Try syncing the RBS to the RBR at 10-15 feet away. 2 feet maybe too close...

After syncing, give the RBS web page about 2-5 minutes to update the status on the connected devices page...

Message 29 of 306
Stephonline
Guide

Disappointing news:

After doing the upgrade, a factor reset (two of them( and power cycles galore, the problem of slow wifi has re-emerged.   After reset/reboot/repower, wifi speeds were 700/ 800 mb.  They are now are 40mb..   The router reports its internal speed test is 850 mb.

overall - i appreciate all the advice, but the performance is still unacceptable.

Message 30 of 306
titaniumrx8
Apprentice

@FURRYe38

Where am I looking and what am I looking for?
Message 31 of 306
raven_au
Virtuoso

@Stephonline wrote:

Hi Christine,

There doesnt seem to be any issues with clients though it was painful to get the satellite to mate to the host router.  At one point, the satellite LED went blue though the Orbi app reported that no satellite was attached.   Trying to re-sync with the push button switch also failed.  This is with the satellite two feet away from the host router!

Actually this is something I have had problems with, and I had discussed on the forum recently, and is I think something that Netgear engineering could answer if Christine could forward the question.

Basically, I found it really hard to work out how to reset a satellite to defaults and sync. it to the main router.

Trying to do this always left me wondering if the satellite had syned properly and ended up me doing a factory default reset to be sure (since there were other problems with the firmware).

The procedure for add-on satellites is documented in the manual (IIRC, maybe it's not) and it's the same as it was with the WiFi 5 Orbis (I don't have any WiFi 6 add-on satellites) but the behaviour of kit satellites (I have two of those) seems to be different and isn't documented.

Pressing and holding the reset button on a kit satellite doesn't result in booting to white light so performing the push button sync nevers works for them.

I suspect that kit satellites actually auto-sync so the extra step of the push button sync isn't needed but official documentation on it is missing.

Christine, can we get an official answer to the question of how resetting a single kit satellite to factory defaults is meant to be done please.

Message 32 of 306
Seanh77
Guide

sats that used to be connected are disconnected or poor. netgear support is pitiful, wish i could get rid of all these orbis.
Message 33 of 306
FURRYe38
Guru

Was the system working correctly prior to the FW update to v4? 

@Stephonline wrote:

Disappointing news:

After doing the upgrade, a factor reset (two of them( and power cycles galore, the problem of slow wifi has re-emerged.   After reset/reboot/repower, wifi speeds were 700/ 800 mb.  They are now are 40mb..   The router reports its internal speed test is 850 mb.

overall - i appreciate all the advice, but the performance is still unacceptable.

Message 34 of 306
FURRYe38
Guru

@raven_au 

A 15 seconds press on the reset button is enough to trigger the reset. 

On the RBR one can use the ERASE button on the Web UI. 

Message 35 of 306
FURRYe38
Guru

On the advanced tab page. Looked for the Stats button. 

@titaniumrx8 wrote:
@FURRYe38

Message 36 of 306
FURRYe38
Guru

Has a power off for 1 minute then back ON with the ISP modem and Orbi system been performed since last update?
Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? 

Was the system working before the v4 update? 

@Seanh77 wrote:
sats that used to be connected are disconnected or poor. netgear support is pitiful, wish i could get rid of all these orbis.

Message 37 of 306
Stephonline
Guide

Prior to the update, the satellite was performing mostly normally.  There had been some occasional thruput issues but I had chalked them up (incorrectly I believe) to Comcast issues.

I believe that the issues reside in the satellite:  Last night when the speed test on my second floor served by the satellite plummeted down to 20 mb (from its earlier 300 mb) I tried streaming on the Apple device hard wired to the satellite.   It too showed stuttering & overall data starvation.

When I went downstairs which is served by the main router, speed test was showing 500 - 600 mb.  

This morning, a speed test on the second floor showed 293 mb.  

Link speed (WLAN backhaul) on the statistic page has always shown as 2402M with zero collisions.   2.4G WLAN shows as 573.5M and 5G shows 1201M.  Zero collisions.

Message 38 of 306
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the distance between the RBS and RBR? 

Is AX mode enabled on the RBR? 

What is the current CTS value on the RBR? 

Is 20/40Mhz Coexistance enabled? 

@Stephonline wrote:

Prior to the update, the satellite was performing mostly normally.  There had been some occasional thruput issues but I had chalked them up (incorrectly I believe) to Comcast issues.

I believe that the issues reside in the satellite:  Last night when the speed test on my second floor served by the satellite plummeted down to 20 mb (from its earlier 300 mb) I tried streaming on the Apple device hard wired to the satellite.   It too showed stuttering & overall data starvation.

When I went downstairs which is served by the main router, speed test was showing 500 - 600 mb.  

This morning, a speed test on the second floor showed 293 mb.  

Link speed (WLAN backhaul) on the statistic page has always shown as 2402M with zero collisions.   2.4G WLAN shows as 573.5M and 5G shows 1201M.  Zero collisions.

Message 39 of 306
N3tworkDud3
Apprentice

Well - I have the RBR850 & RBS850 - today I noticed network wifi issues. Orbi reported connectivity per device at 54 Mbps where they were much higher in the past. Speed tests over wifi were in the 20's as described. Hardwired speeds were fine.

Did all necessary troubleshooting steps before finally reseting to factory defaults by pressing the button on the RBR850. After setting up as new, everything started working as they did before.

I've been trying to find out if the router updated last night (9/15/21 - 9/16/21) or what may have happened. What I hate is Netgear doesn't seem to list all firmwares with dates released. The site doesn't seem to have 4.6.3.16 lsited for the RBR850 but mine is reporting it. Last it has is 4.6.3.9. Not sure what's going on - but glad to see I'm not alone. I guess.

Thanks!

- T

Message 40 of 306
FURRYe38
Guru

Please psot about this in this thread please :

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/New-Online-Update-4-6-3-16-RBR850-RBS850/td-p/2140736/jump-...

Thank you. 

@N3tworkDud3 wrote:

Well - I have the RBR850 & RBS850 - today I noticed network wifi issues. Orbi reported connectivity per device at 54 Mbps where they were much higher in the past. Speed tests over wifi were in the 20's as described. Hardwired speeds were fine.

Did all necessary troubleshooting steps before finally reseting to factory defaults by pressing the button on the RBR850. After setting up as new, everything started working as they did before.

I've been trying to find out if the router updated last night (9/15/21 - 9/16/21) or what may have happened. What I hate is Netgear doesn't seem to list all firmwares with dates released. The site doesn't seem to have 4.6.3.16 lsited for the RBR850 but mine is reporting it. Last it has is 4.6.3.9. Not sure what's going on - but glad to see I'm not alone. I guess.

Thanks!

- T

Message 41 of 306
Seanh77
Guide

Yes they did update it last night and jacked up both my systems too. Previously a month ago i had updated to version 4 manually (.6), and a lot of my sats became disconnected or poor. at that time i was able to manually load all my sats back to version 3 but not my router. Then everything worked great again. Now last night they forced everything to update again to (.16) and now they are all screwed. Im going to manually update my sats back to 3.18 and i bet they work again
Message 42 of 306
titaniumrx8
Apprentice

@FURRYe38 

@FURRYe38 wrote:

@titaniumrx8 wrote:
@FURRYe38

I just found what you are referring to:

Message 43 of 306
FURRYe38
Guru

And thats with AX mode enabled or disabled? 

@titaniumrx8 wrote:

@FURRYe38 

@FURRYe38 wrote:

@titaniumrx8 wrote:
@FURRYe38

I just found what you are referring to:

Message 44 of 306
titaniumrx8
Apprentice

@FURRYe38 

AX mode is disabled. The chart legend is not correct.

Message 45 of 306
FURRYe38
Guru

Whats the status look like with AX is enabled? 

@titaniumrx8 wrote:

@FURRYe38 

AX mode is disabled. The chart legend is not correct.

Message 46 of 306
titaniumrx8
Apprentice

Please bear with me. I want to give this some more time running 4.6.3.16 before enabling AX or making other adjustments I need.

I'll pull more stats after enabling AX.

Message 47 of 306
Lasertour
Star

Re: New RBR750 / RBS750 Firmware Version 4.6.3.16 Release is UNSTABLE

Hi  @ChristineT,

Netgear’s FW is still a major issue which is affecting school, work, etc.

Here's my setup, brief history, and the current situation:

• Upon the FW4.6.3.7 upgrade started to experience complete system outages about every 60 minutes for around 90 seconds.

ORIGINAL SETUP = att Fiber (pass through mode) > Orbi RBR750 in router mode > Backhaul (wired via CAT6) RBS750 satellite

Efforts to resolve with no resolution:

- Power cycle of all hardware (Orbi’s and ATT) for 10 minutes

- Remove and add satellite

- Test cabling

- Reset entire system (start over)

***STILL EXPERIENCING INTERMITTENT OUTAGES***

• Replaced RBS750 Satellite FW V4.6.3.7 with new RBS850 Satellite FW V4.6.3.9

SETUP = att Fiber (pass through mode) > Orbi RBR750 FW V4.6.3.7 in router mode > Backhaul (wired via CAT6) RBS850 satellite FW V4.6.3.9

Replacement successful as outages disappeared (for 5 days until new firmware was automatically updated).

***SYSTEM STABLE***

• Upon FW V4.6.3.16_2.0.51 automatic upgrade the complete system outages about every 60 minutes for around 90 seconds came back.

SETUP = att Fiber (pass through mode) > Orbi RBR750 FW V4.6.3.16_2.0.51 in router mode > Backhaul (wired via CAT6) RBS850 satellite FW V4.6.3.9

Efforts to resolve with no resolution:

- Power cycle of all hardware (Orbi’s and ATT) for 10 minutes

- Remove and add satellite

- Added previous RBS750 satellite and upgraded to FW V4.6.3.16_2.0.51

- Reset entire system (start over)

***STILL EXPERIENCING INTERMITTENT OUTAGES***

In summary, my configuration was working for over a year BEFORE the FW 4.6.3.7 or FW 4.6.3.16 upgrades.

Does Netgear acknowledge this Firmware issue? When can all of us customers expect a Firmware update that will actually resolve this major issue?

Thanks again for following up.

Message 48 of 306
FURRYe38
Guru

Sounds good. Thanks for keep us up to date. 

@titaniumrx8 wrote:

Please bear with me. I want to give this some more time running 4.6.3.16 before enabling AX or making other adjustments I need.

I'll pull more stats after enabling AX.

Message 49 of 306
ChristineT
Admin

Re: New RBR750 / RBS750 Firmware Version 4.6.3.16 Release is UNSTABLE

Hello @Lasertour ,

First, thank you very much for the detailed feedback! I have shared your feedback with our engineering team and will provide an update once I receive their guidance on the best next steps. 

Best,

Christine

Message 50 of 306
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7