Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: New RBR750 / RBS750 Firmware Version 4.6.3.16 Released

ellen2298
Apprentice

Unfortunately the speed didn't improve by doing all of your suggestions so I installed the early 3.2 version. I can't figure out how to do the telnet which is supposed to be available on this firmware. I did block the sites on the RBR50 as suggested but never did the telnet. If this system is in AP mode and my RBR50 is the router will it still do an auto update? Honestly I thought I would be protected from the update because of the AP mode but it still happened. Any other way for someone not so knowledgeable like me to block future updates until the firmware is better?

Message 301 of 306
R0Gue77
Aspirant

Hello, 

No, I did not read through EVERY post in this thread to see if this or similar "solution" may have been offered before. Before you flame me, I can tell you with 100% certainty that this is certainly not optimal however, it nails the actual issue and squashes the NG bug. It actually is a "work around" to not only the latest RBR/RBS firmware, buty also any of the v4 updates. In a nutshell, NG screwed up the router side of the v4x firmware. This "screw up" causes numerous random reboots of the router which of course takes down the sateliite(s). After reboot things are semi-normal again until the next random crash. Sometimes, it happens every few days, sometimes, multiple times in a single day. Have not been able to establish any recognizable pattern to the crash. I have tried every solution offered here and none of them work or work for very long. 

I got to thinking that since it is the router that blows up, there must be something either corrupted or faulty programmed in the v4 firmware. So, I pulled my previous TP-Link SOHO VPN router out of the closet. It has no wifi capabilities, it is strictly a routher with 1 gig WAN ports (2). I put that router back into service and set the RBR850 to AP mode only. No prior WiFi settings were lost doing this and the RBS850 was also fine. After I confirmed that ther router was working properly and that WiFi seemed solid, I rebooted everything.

It has been over a month and not a single drop or Orbi random reboot. To be honest, my WiFi speeds actually got better when I took the routing function away from the Orbi. If that's not a solid test, then flame away I guessSmiley Surprised

Yes, like anyone reading this post, I think it is ludicrous that given the cost of these Orbi devices that anyone should have to resort to "work arounds". They should simply work as advertised. And I know many here may not have an alternate router to use. I'm only making this post to provide an alternative (proven to work) so some can quit pulling their hair out looking for answers. All I can say is thank God NG isn't in the business of providing blood transfusions. If a patient had to wait for that as long as we have had to wait for a real solution to this issue...like the router, they would be toast!   Hope some of you find this helpful... Cheers

Message 302 of 306
FURRYe38
Guru

Since you have the 8 series Orbi please also post about this here please:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6-AX-and-WiFi-6E-AXE/New-RBR850-RBS850-Firmware-Version-4...

Yes others have already reporting using AP Mode with a different brand host router and seems to help some, not everyone. 

What I did to get v4.6.3.16 working on my 8 series in router mode:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6-AX-and-WiFi-6E-AXE/New-Online-Update-4-6-3-16-RBR850-RB...
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6-AX-and-WiFi-6E-AXE/New-Online-Update-4-6-3-16-RBR850-RB...

Another reported this worked for them:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6-AX-and-WiFi-6E-AXE/New-RBR850-RBS850-Firmware-Version-4...

Also v3.16 has been superceded by v5.14 for the 7 series Orbi. 

@R0Gue77 wrote:

Hello, 

No, I did not read through EVERY post in this thread to see if this or similar "solution" may have been offered before. Before you flame me, I can tell you with 100% certainty that this is certainly not optimal however, it nails the actual issue and squashes the NG bug. It actually is a "work around" to not only the latest RBR/RBS firmware, buty also any of the v4 updates. In a nutshell, NG screwed up the router side of the v4x firmware. This "screw up" causes numerous random reboots of the router which of course takes down the sateliite(s). After reboot things are semi-normal again until the next random crash. Sometimes, it happens every few days, sometimes, multiple times in a single day. Have not been able to establish any recognizable pattern to the crash. I have tried every solution offered here and none of them work or work for very long. 

I got to thinking that since it is the router that blows up, there must be something either corrupted or faulty programmed in the v4 firmware. So, I pulled my previous TP-Link SOHO VPN router out of the closet. It has no wifi capabilities, it is strictly a routher with 1 gig WAN ports (2). I put that router back into service and set the RBR850 to AP mode only. No prior WiFi settings were lost doing this and the RBS850 was also fine. After I confirmed that ther router was working properly and that WiFi seemed solid, I rebooted everything.

It has been over a month and not a single drop or Orbi random reboot. To be honest, my WiFi speeds actually got better when I took the routing function away from the Orbi. If that's not a solid test, then flame away I guessSmiley Surprised

Yes, like anyone reading this post, I think it is ludicrous that given the cost of these Orbi devices that anyone should have to resort to "work arounds". They should simply work as advertised. And I know many here may not have an alternate router to use. I'm only making this post to provide an alternative (proven to work) so some can quit pulling their hair out looking for answers. All I can say is thank God NG isn't in the business of providing blood transfusions. If a patient had to wait for that as long as we have had to wait for a real solution to this issue...like the router, they would be toast!   Hope some of you find this helpful... Cheers

Message 303 of 306
tennessee12
Aspirant

GOOD LUCK IF THE ISSUE HASNT HAPPEND YO YOU YET.. It's coming either firmware is bad or your wi-fi processor will go bad during next update.

Another case of firmware 4.6.3.14 breaking wi-fi .. Slows down big time.. Rollback failed to resolve..  Netgear has seem this problem so much their experts forsy words are Nope firmware didn't do it but wi-fi processor went bad at dames exact moment..

''hundreds of $'s wasted on a company who knows good and well they have a code issue trying to make this thing work..

My advice buy 20 yr warrenty or don't buy at all any orbi ..

BTW i have orbi 5 star rating for over a year until firmware update blew my box up/.

Message 304 of 306
N3tworkDud3
Apprentice

@ellen2298 wrote:

Unfortunately the speed didn't improve by doing all of your suggestions so I installed the early 3.2 version. I can't figure out how to do the telnet which is supposed to be available on this firmware. I did block the sites on the RBR50 as suggested but never did the telnet. If this system is in AP mode and my RBR50 is the router will it still do an auto update? Honestly I thought I would be protected from the update because of the AP mode but it still happened. Any other way for someone not so knowledgeable like me to block future updates until the firmware is better?

I don't see where anyone responded to your questions. 

• You must have a device between your Orbi and the initernet connection to block the updates. Reason is the sites to block are for devices connecting to the Orbi, not the Orbi connecting to the internet. If the device you use is a router, you should change the role of your Orbii router to AP only to prevent double NAT. It it's just a firewall without routing capabilities, then it needs to have the ability to block sites.
  • To get to Telenet - there are instructions you should have followed to revert to the 3.x versiion (https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6-AX-and-WiFi-6E-AXE/RBK750-Series-Firmware-Update-v4-6-3...) is a good example. Where it says "in their Debug.html page" .....well there are a couple ways of doing it:
    • go to the start page for the admin of the orbi. Replace "start" with "debug". after the ip address or name if you used that, you normally see start.htm. 
    • type the IP address of the router then /debug.htm  Note the miissin "l" from html. It's htm, not html.

Message 305 of 306
Lasertour
Star

Re: New RBR750 / RBS750 Firmware Version 4.6.3.16 Release is UNSTABLE - REPLACED Netgear ORBI with..

All,

After several months of frustration, I finally gave up on Netgear. I did have some success for a couple weeks after I (again) reset all my Netgear Orbi Nodes (Router + 2 Satellites) and rebuilt from scratch. Unfortunately, a couple of weeks later the satellites started to have intermittent outages (rebooting).  This was a little different than the original firmware problem earlier this year (2021) as my core Orbi router stayed up, so part of my network was okay.

Even though this was the most expensive network I have purchased ever, I took it all out and replaced it with the ASUS ZenWIFI AX. So far it has been a massive difference in stability and performance. Most reviews show the ASUS gear rated close to the Netgear throughput, but the stability, range and management tools are (in my opinion) 1000% better.  And nearly half the price.

Thanks, and best of luck.

Message 306 of 306
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7