Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: New - RBR750 / RBS750 Firmware Version 4.6.5.14 Released

N3tworkDud3
Apprentice

@claudiut wrote:

I have the RBK753 package (1 router, 2 satellites) and have upgraded to this new firmware with NO IMPROVEMENTS whatsoever over the previous version. Same frequent connection drops, occasional speed drops. The only change is really the LEDs not lighting up anymore during the connection drops. So I guess that was the only change NG has done. Really lame!!

Look - here's the deal - you got the firmware update, right? So you are on 4.6.5.14 which is why you are here.

It's not your ISP, it's router, or anything else the other person is asking you to do. The following are the only things to do until Netgear pulls it's head out of its perverbial backside and fixes their code.

• Are you in your retailer's return window? Return and go get an ASUS system or something else. Netgear lost its way and I don't see them getting back on track. They have been unresponsive to us during this 4.x Firmware Fiasco. 
  • Power down your Orbi system (ISP Router won't matter unless you know it's the problem). Leave off for a few minutes.
  • Power up the router, let it settle down, led turns off, etc. You can connect and get services.
  • Power up one of the satelliites. Let it connect, settle down.
  • Power up the other satellite. Let it connect, settle down, etc.
  • IF - that doesn't resolve the issue, do the factory reset after you made note of your settings. MAYBE backup the settings first - FURRY7SeriesBMW is REALLY intent on people doiing that but I've seen some posts saying redoing your settings manually was part of their fix.
  • IF you still have issues - hopefully you are still in your return window and take it back, get something else. You'll be better off in the long run. OR - if you want to try contacting support - don't pay for it - only if you are in the "free" window. 

Good luck! I'm researching the Asus AI-Mesh myself - looks promising. 

Message 101 of 526
jamacphoto
Apprentice

N3tworkDud3 Thank you
So sum up his post lol
We are sol as all the fixes kindly provided do not fix the errors and will come back hopefully later than sooner
For me the laters firmware is 100% more unstable as have issues daily and before was every 2 weeks and before was perfect .
Guess will research Asus AI-Mesh thanks
Message 102 of 526
Lhymes
Tutor

The best thing to do is just downgrade it. The whole process takes about 10-15 minutes. You can check my history for my last post if needed. Netgear has been useless with the v4 firmware craziness and I have personally refused to try any further releases until I see the vast majority of users truly find that an update fixes these problems with wired backhauls primarily. It always seems to be a couple very vocal individuals that indicate all issues are fixed while the majority of 1-or-2 time posters continue to share their frustrations. After going back to the v3, my system has been rock solid as it had been in the past for almost a week now with frequent video conferences and no Airplay or thermostat hiccups. It does not require you to reset and reconfigure the router configuration.
Message 103 of 526

RBR750, (3) RBS750's, connected to Xfinity 800mbps service via Motorola MB7621 modem. New install; I went through the entire excruciating "try and try again, it'll connect eventually" setup routine and eventually et to the final step: update the firmware to latest version. Which I did - and boy, do i wish i had read this forum first!

The AX4200 system performs wonderfully (at least, the router and 2 of the 3 satellites do) for a while - and then, the router completely loses its connection to the modem and starts leading a digital parade to nowhere. Until I reboot the router; after which, everything is fine for another 20 hours or so... and then it goes stupid again. 

I have gone through the whole "Power cycle the modem, then the router, then the satellites" dance recommended incessantly above; it isn't necessary. All I have to do is reboot the router, and when it comes back up everything is fine.. for a while. Unfortunately, the router is in the attic, so rebooting is highly inconvenient.

This simply isn't good enough; i paid way too much for a system that only works for 20-30 hours in a row. I certainly hope that Netgear engineering takes these reports of disconnections and dropouts seriously and urgently gets a fix out the door so we customers (alph testers?) can try something better.   

Message 104 of 526
J823
Tutor

Did the same as Lhymes, works rock solid
Message 105 of 526
N3tworkDud3
Apprentice

@Lhymes wrote:
The best thing to do is just downgrade it. The whole process takes about 10-15 minutes. You can check my history for my last post if needed. Netgear has been useless with the v4 firmware craziness and I have personally refused to try any further releases until I see the vast majority of users truly find that an update fixes these problems with wired backhauls primarily. It always seems to be a couple very vocal individuals that indicate all issues are fixed while the majority of 1-or-2 time posters continue to share their frustrations. After going back to the v3, my system has been rock solid as it had been in the past for almost a week now with frequent video conferences and no Airplay or thermostat hiccups. It does not require you to reset and reconfigure the router configuration.

I hear ya. Maybe I'll try downgrading over the weekend - however, it would need to be a version with the switch to disable auto-updates as I am not going to go buy something to sit between my ISP router and the Orbi. From what I read, that adds the telnet steps. Only other way would be to double NAT which I don't want to do.

Part of my reluctance to downgrade is principle and I have better things to do. iPhone app compatibility is another concern. At some point, the older firmware and app may not work well together. Perhaps we are already there?

In my job, I'm faced with consistent troubleshooting. Be it technology, people, processes. When I'm home, I just want things to work. However, in our COVID world, the two worlds have collided. My home is my workspace. Now, I'm faced with - is the issue my computer, router, ISP, work VPN, work infrastructure, work applications, etc. 

So - that's where I'm at.

Message 106 of 526
FURRYe38
Guru

If your ISP modem already has a router, you can block it there. 

Message 107 of 526
J823
Tutor

the very first version of the RBR750 still has telnet + iphone app usage is ok, not super.

However the connection is stable, which is the most important

Message 108 of 526
FURRYe38
Guru

For those of you who have a upstream router in front of the Orbi system, you don't have to revert back first version of FW. Just block NG auto updates on this upstream router then you can use any v3 version of FW. Telnet method is not needed for users with a router in front of the Orbi system.

Message 109 of 526
Mr410
Star

@SadOrbi4200 wrote:

RBR750, (3) RBS750's, connected to Xfinity 800mbps service via Motorola MB7621 modem. New install; I went through the entire excruciating "try and try again, it'll connect eventually" setup routine and eventually et to the final step: update the firmware to latest version. Which I did - and boy, do i wish i had read this forum first!

The AX4200 system performs wonderfully (at least, the router and 2 of the 3 satellites do) for a while - and then, the router completely loses its connection to the modem and starts leading a digital parade to nowhere. Until I reboot the router; after which, everything is fine for another 20 hours or so... and then it goes stupid again. 

I have gone through the whole "Power cycle the modem, then the router, then the satellites" dance recommended incessantly above; it isn't necessary. All I have to do is reboot the router, and when it comes back up everything is fine.. for a while. Unfortunately, the router is in the attic, so rebooting is highly inconvenient.

This simply isn't good enough; i paid way too much for a system that only works for 20-30 hours in a row. I certainly hope that Netgear engineering takes these reports of disconnections and dropouts seriously and urgently gets a fix out the door so we customers (alph testers?) can try something better.   

I had the same issue. Here is what I was able to figure out. I have Verizon Fios and hang the Orbi off that router. The Orbi then creates a new network on the 10.x.x.x addressing.  The FIOS router hands out an ip lease for approx 24 hours. I noticed that every 24 hours the Orbi seemed to lose WAN connectivity. Wifi appeared to be up, but Internet was down. Rebooted, good for about a day, down again. I ended up getting on my FIOS router and set the Orbi as a static ip and then jumped on Orbi and set the WAN port to static as well. That was 3 weeks ago and no downtime since. Also have gone thru the latest firmware upgrade without any issues. Heck I upgraded the firmware of my satellite while I was on the beach, 3 hours away from home. That is how confident I have become in the stability of my Orbi setup. 

In the five weeks I have had the Orbi system, I have experienced 15 mins of downtime and two reboots. Since setting the WAN to static three weeks ago not one issue. No idea if what I did is the right answer, but it seemed to stabilize my system. I know your network setup might be different, but it seems like the lease renewal on the WAN port might be a good first step in troubleshooting this issue.

I'd recommend trying the above and see if things stabilize. Good luck. 

Message 110 of 526
FURRYe38
Guru

Are you using IP pass thru or DMZ on your Verizon router? If you have two routers on line at the same time, could be another issue if you keep the RBR in router mode. If you choose to do this, use the IP pass thru or DMZ feature on the Verizon router for the RBR in router mode. 

@Mr410 wrote:

I had the same issue. Here is what I was able to figure out. I have Verizon Fios and hang the Orbi off that router. The Orbi then creates a new network on the 10.x.x.x addressing.  The FIOS router hands out an ip lease for approx 24 hours. I noticed that every 24 hours the Orbi seemed to lose WAN connectivity. Wifi appeared to be up, but Internet was down. Rebooted, good for about a day, down again. I ended up getting on my FIOS router and set the Orbi as a static ip and then jumped on Orbi and set the WAN port to static as well. That was 3 weeks ago and no downtime since. Also have gone thru the latest firmware upgrade without any issues. Heck I upgraded the firmware of my satellite while I was on the beach, 3 hours away from home. That is how confident I have become in the stability of my Orbi setup. 

In the five weeks I have had the Orbi system, I have experienced 15 mins of downtime and two reboots. Since setting the WAN to static three weeks ago not one issue. No idea if what I did is the right answer, but it seemed to stabilize my system. I know your network setup might be different, but it seems like the lease renewal on the WAN port might be a good first step in troubleshooting this issue.

I'd recommend trying the above and see if things stabilize. Good luck. 

Message 111 of 526
tucsontico
Virtuoso

I spoke too soon. After about 36 hours the random blue LED came back on the satellite I can easily view (the second is out of view). Started to have unusual devices show up ("Xerox Device" with an IP address of 0.0.0.0) in iOS app but not on web GUI.

Also started to get WiFi signals on guest network WITHOUT guest network enabled. (Found it using Apple's AIrport utility.) Both app and web GUI show Guest network disabled. Next problem that surfaced was 2.4 gHz channel changed BY ITSELF to 1 instead of 6. Both app and web GUI show 2.4 gHz channel set 6.

As soon as I turn off sats, everything settles down to what I expect to see. Unfortunately, I need the sats to provide necessary coverage for security, etc. cams outside my house. Turning on one sat has Guest network appearing again.

Obviously this firmware (V4.6.5.14) is not ready for consumer use. Going to try to find a copy of V3 firmware and downgrade to that until tthere's a valid fix for these anomolies.

Message 112 of 526
tucsontico
Virtuoso

I'm not an IT guy but I have an EE degree and understand some of the complexities of a WiFi mesh system. With that in mind, I may have found a workaround for the 4.6.5.14 firmware mess. As I mentioned in a previous post (below), I found the Guest network was transmitting even though I had it selected off. This ONLY occurred when the sats were powered on. If I turned off the sats, the router reverted to exactly what I expected–including wired and WiFi speeds. After some "trial and error" I stumbled accross this procedure that appeared to solve my problem:

1) Check your WiFi signals to see if the Guest network is transmitting (even if you do not have it enabled). If it is transmitting, proceed to step 2.

2) Using the web GUI (DO NOT USE the iOS or Android app!), sign into the router. Under the "Basic Tab", select "Guest Network" and then ENABLE the Guest Network. Give it an SSID, a security type (I use WP2-PSK[AES]) and a password.

3) Select "Apply" and allow the router to appliy your changes.

4) Using a mobile device, connect to the Guest Network via WiFi to see if you have an internet connection.

5) Using the same mobile device and the web GUI, reconnect to your main network via WiFi.

6) Log back into the router and DISABLE the Guest Network. DO NOT CHANGE ANY OTHER SETTINGS. Select "Apply" and allow the router to complete the changes.

7) Using the mobile device, check for the Guest Network SSID. If it is gone, you are finished.

After doing this about 24 hours ago, I have had a rock solid system. WiFI speeds on Apple non-AX devices are in excess of 800 Mbps from the router (10' away) and over 600 Mbps from the sats (10' away). No random LED lights and no apparent drop outs.

Hope this helps someone else. Good Luck!

@tucsontico wrote:

I spoke too soon. After about 36 hours the random blue LED came back on the satellite I can easily view (the second is out of view). Started to have unusual devices show up ("Xerox Device" with an IP address of 0.0.0.0) in iOS app but not on web GUI.

Also started to get WiFi signals on guest network WITHOUT guest network enabled. (Found it using Apple's AIrport utility.) Both app and web GUI show Guest network disabled. Next problem that surfaced was 2.4 gHz channel changed BY ITSELF to 1 instead of 6. Both app and web GUI show 2.4 gHz channel set 6.

As soon as I turn off sats, everything settles down to what I expect to see. Unfortunately, I need the sats to provide necessary coverage for security, etc. cams outside my house. Turning on one sat has Guest network appearing again.

Obviously this firmware (V4.6.5.14) is not ready for consumer use. Going to try to find a copy of V3 firmware and downgrade to that until tthere's a valid fix for these anomolies.

Message 113 of 526
jamacphoto
Apprentice

Sadly I can say disabling the guest network does not work for me I have tried that about a week or so ago as I use the guest network for a device but I wanna keep off the normal networking almost have its own channel. Shortly after this new firmware came out I tried fiddling around with a whole bunch of things including turning guess networked off and no luck for me trying to downgrade today
Message 114 of 526
Berryvl
Star

Manually upgraded to this FW (previously on the 4.6.3.16 version). No issues so far. Keeping the 20/40 MHz Coexistence unchecked in the advanced wireless setting for now. Did no power off or anything special, just sattelites first, router last and left it alone.

Message 115 of 526
SergeL
Apprentice

What version did you downgraded to? I've downgraded to 3.2.18.1, and this morning my system is back to 4.6.3.16. I see no option to disable autoupgrades.

@Lhymes wrote:

Message 116 of 526
FURRYe38
Guru

There a host router in front of the Orbi system by chance? If so you can use this router to block NG update,

If no, then you need to follow these two links:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/forums/recentpostspage/post-type/message/category-id/English/user-i...
NOTE: Have the prior RBS and RBR FW files already downloaded to your PC. You'll need to perform this on each RBS first, then RBR lastly.
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/RBK750-Series-Firmware-Update-v4-6-3-7/m-p/2130584/highligh...
Follow normal Manual FW update process to select the v3 FW file.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/RBK750-Series-Firmware-Update-v4-6-3-7/m-p/2131307/highligh...
1. Downgrade the Firmware to V3.2.10.10 for both Router and the Satellite, which is the very first Firmware version. Using the way I mentioned in previous thread that pressing F12 in the downgrade page and unhide the Yes button.

@SergeL wrote:

What version did you downgraded to? I've downgraded to 3.2.18.1, and this morning my system is back to 4.6.3.16. I see no option to disable autoupgrades.

@Lhymes wrote:

Message 117 of 526

Hi

I've had exactly the same problems with 4.x firmware.  I can physically see the issues.  If I run WiFi explorer I can see when I get kicked off a satellite node and pushed back to the main router.  At that point I can then confirm the satellite is showing LED like it is reconnecting.  Interestingly on the orbi admin page if I look at attached devices, it thinks the impacted satellite is on wired backhaul when this happens.

I've returned to 3.2.18.1 but before I did that I created a static host map by mapping the two URLs to inet 127.0.0.1.  This prevents the autoupdate occuring so far for me:

• a1599er83nvyl8.iot.us-west-2.amazonaws.com
  • devcom.up.netgear.com

You need to have a router between your Orbi and internet however I'd recommend this.  The orbi routing for such an expensive product is terrible.  Having another router and then running Orbi in AP mode with firmware 3.2.18.1 has finally given me a completely stable connection so I see no reason to change it now.  I might test a 5x release if it offers some compelling new features.  I'm also going to test out other competing products as its been weeks of pain and my goal is now to erradicate netgear products from my network

Message 118 of 526
FURRYe38
Guru

The devcom one is the only one that needs blocking.

Also this only works if you have a upstream router in front of the RBR. If you don't this you have to downgrade to an early version of FW and use telnet to block NG update services. 

Message 119 of 526
jamacphoto
Apprentice

Ok back from vacation and took a few reboots for Mac to see /get on wifi. One on changed the ax radio button from on to off and did a soft reboot . So turned only ax off just for 2.4 and when it came back all was working again. Before then was getting purple , after soft reboots, on one or both satellites after soft reboots and sitting for a bit. Also kept dropping and picking up Wi-Fi devices.

So now for 2 days on latest firmware that was all I did. Have 2.4 at 50% and this allows evenly balanced devices. Speeds are good like before .
Sadly could not do some of these via web app/remote

We will see if it continues
Message 120 of 526
FURRYe38
Guru

👍

And this is with v14 loaded or did you revert FW back to v3? 

@jamacphoto wrote:
Ok back from vacation and took a few reboots for Mac to see /get on wifi. One on changed the ax radio button from on to off and did a soft reboot . So turned only ax off just for 2.4 and when it came back all was working again. Before then was getting purple , after soft reboots, on one or both satellites after soft reboots and sitting for a bit. Also kept dropping and picking up Wi-Fi devices.

So now for 2 days on latest firmware that was all I did. Have 2.4 at 50% and this allows evenly balanced devices. Speeds are good like before .
Sadly could not do some of these via web app/remote

We will see if it continues

Message 121 of 526
jamacphoto
Apprentice

This was with the latest firmware
Had downloaded the v3 software and was going to downgrade. But thought let’s try one last thing and turned off AX 2.4 and nothing else and reboot.

I did remember others turned off AX and did not want to turn it off for 5 but thought why not 2.4 as only wifi devices use it.
And boom on reboot all connected right away including iMac .
For previous week rebooted remotely from another country and nothing worked and only had 1/3 of my devices and one satellite was usually purple / offline.

Hope continues
Message 122 of 526
FURRYe38
Guru

Make you wonder if there is a bug in AX mode on 2.4Ghz...

Will keep this in mind. 

Message 123 of 526
SergeL
Apprentice

@jamacphoto wrote:
So turned only ax off just for 2.4 and when it came back all was working again.

Could you please explain how to do that?

Message 124 of 526
FURRYe38
Guru

There are check marks on the Basic tab/Wireless settings tab next to AX mode:

2.4G and 5G

Just remove a check mark and select Apply. 

Message 125 of 526
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7