Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: New - RBR750 / RBS750 Firmware Version 4.6.5.14 Released

Frustrated_New
Initiate

Furry - Do we have any ETA on when the next firmware will be released? I'm having the same issues everyone else is (on the current firmware, with a clean factor reset, etc) but am having constant disconnects. Additionally, the RBS are constantly disconnecting from the RBS. 

Related, is there someone we can reach out to at Netgear to make aware of all the issues? Frankly, this is my first Netgear device and I have no incentive to purchase another which is unfortunate because it's solid hardware. 

Message 351 of 526
jaideepdoc
Guide

hi All

Just an update on the same.

The sattellite unit kept on facing frequent reboots.  I then emailed netgearsupport with the issue.

They opened a case and suggested that i reload the firmware manually.

Did the same but the issues continued .

Post that they agreed to replace the sattelite unit and rasied what is called as as RMA number.  I then returned the sattelite unit to the designated service unit but the RMA number was not updated as yet.  This took another 3 days.

Once same was updated there was a mail of dispatch of a replacement unit

I received the same.  It took a while to get the orbi to sync together and had to do a system reset. The current status seems to be better and have not faced any disconections ect

Anyways in the interim had a TP Link X20 mesh system as back up which i have upgraded and now is the main wifi  Its is giving me solid performance without any fuss 

Since there is no option of returning the Orbi have packed up the same.

Thanks everyone.

Message 352 of 526
Dazza762
Luminary

This all seems like a mess for what should be a simple update. Finally did the update yesterday but despite selecting "update all" from the router admin website, it's only updated the RBR. Apparently updating the RBS after the RBR will cause "issues" so now I've got an RBR on the current FM and 2 RBS's on the previous FM. Reticent to manually update the RBS's now beacuse of these "issues". 

Message 353 of 526
N3tworkDud3
Apprentice

@Dazza762 wrote:

Yes, I know how to do the update but you're saying "yes", the fact that the router is already on this FM will cause issues if I update the RBS to the same FM?? So how do I do this without causing issues? I'm confused.

Trust me when I say this - if you can return your package, you need to. If not, and don't have a backup system, get one or even better - a complete replacement from another manufacturer. 

From what has been posted on the community, seems the router has issues when upgraded that impacts the satellites. Could be the satellites also have issues with the firmware but when the router (RBR) is in AP mode, some are having a better experience. It's all hit or miss. Hence - advice to return and never look back.

If you continue trying to listen to Furry, you're just in for a lot of frustration. He's not a Netgear employee, nor does it seem he has any connetions there. As someone who is intimatly involved in managing network staff at an enterprise level, I also question his experience troubleshooting wifi/network connectivity.

Message 354 of 526
FURRYe38
Guru

Is the system working for you as is. if it is, you can leave the RBS alone. If not, then you can manually update the RBS to the same. 

It's possible that the UPDATE All function failed to update the RBS first, or the RBS were not in a good state and did not process the newer FW at the time they recieved it. So to bring the RBS to the same version of FW as the RBR, you'll need to manually update. Or wait for something newer to arrive. 

Personally I prefer to manually update systems myself. Been using this method for years. That  way I KNOW it's updated correctly on each unit. 

@Dazza762 wrote:

This all seems like a mess for what should be a simple update. Finally did the update yesterday but despite selecting "update all" from the router admin website, it's only updated the RBR. Apparently updating the RBS after the RBR will cause "issues" so now I've got an RBR on the current FM and 2 RBS's on the previous FM. Reticent to manually update the RBS's now beacuse of these "issues". 

Message 355 of 526
Dazza762
Luminary

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Is the system working for you as is. if it is, you can leave the RBS alone. If not, then you can manually update the RBS to the same. 

It's possible that the UPDATE All function failed to update the RBS first, or the RBS were not in a good state and did not process the newer FW at the time they recieved it. So to bring the RBS to the same version of FW as the RBR, you'll need to manually update. Or wait for something newer to arrive. 

Personally I prefer to manually update systems myself. Been using this method for years. That  way I KNOW it's updated correctly on each unit. 

@Dazza762 wrote:

I guess my mian point it is yes, I can update the RBS's manually but you have said this would casue "issues" if the RBR was already on the latest FM so I was wondering what these "issues" were. 

Message 356 of 526
FURRYe38
Guru

Issuse of the RBS being not on same version of FW maybe RBS not able to fully sync or sync at all with the RBR. Odd connections or no connections with devices at the RBS. Or maybe no issues seen at all. Kind of random problems that maybe seen however most systems should be at the same level between the RBR and RBS to avoid any issues. 

Message 357 of 526
Dazza762
Luminary

So it's not a case of, "if you've updated the RBR first, DON'T then update the RBS as it will create issues"? I'd be keen to have both RBR and RBS on the current FM but I'm concerned that you have said that it's imprortant to update the RBS first. 

Message 358 of 526
FURRYe38
Guru

If the RBS are not on the same version of FW then you can update them manually. 

If the system is working, you can also leave them alone. 

Message 359 of 526
225doug
Aspirant

Orbi system worked great, until it didn't. Last 2-3 months I have had multiple random dropped connections. I work in a firehouse and have wired my satellites. Literally sitting next to each other and all of us lose connection simultaneously and sometimes it will come back, others I have to shut down and restart my device. I received some help from a tech company through netgear website. Since I was out of warranty or whatever, they wanted $399 for 3 year contract and more than 7 devices on the system. The gentlemen, (Ahmed and Soshmed) said they needed to fix or repair my dhcp, multiple ip addresses, reconfigure or go through multiple devices. For that price I can buy a whole new mesh WiFi. I am using Altice with 200/35 speeds. At most I have 50 devices on any day. My problem is similar to many others, and some of the more technically advanced members here seem to agree the firmware is the main culprit. I should not have to pay half what I purchased the system for to "repair" an issue. Very unfair.

Message 360 of 526
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Are the RBS directly connected to the back of the RBR or is there a LAN switch in between or a LAN Patch panel? 

What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite 📡

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? You may need to factory reset the system and power the system OFF as well. 
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6-AX-and-WiFi-6E-AXE/New-RBR850-RBS850-Firmware-Version-4...
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6-AX-and-WiFi-6E-AXE/New-RBR850-RBS850-Firmware-Version-4...

@225doug wrote:

Orbi system worked great, until it didn't. Last 2-3 months I have had multiple random dropped connections. I work in a firehouse and have wired my satellites. Literally sitting next to each other and all of us lose connection simultaneously and sometimes it will come back, others I have to shut down and restart my device. I received some help from a tech company through netgear website. Since I was out of warranty or whatever, they wanted $399 for 3 year contract and more than 7 devices on the system. The gentlemen, (Ahmed and Soshmed) said they needed to fix or repair my dhcp, multiple ip addresses, reconfigure or go through multiple devices. For that price I can buy a whole new mesh WiFi. I am using Altice with 200/35 speeds. At most I have 50 devices on any day. My problem is similar to many others, and some of the more technically advanced members here seem to agree the firmware is the main culprit. I should not have to pay half what I purchased the system for to "repair" an issue. Very unfair.

Message 361 of 526
Retsehc
Tutor

This has been a rock solid system for my home for almost a year. Pretty much zero issues ever. Like most in here I have also had issues since the upgrade. It is not the Close Encounters of the 3rd kind rotating alien rave lighting issue people are experiencing. Nor is it the lost RBS or speed issues.

My issue is related to the comatose RBR. Everything is fine as I go to sleep but I wake up to find nothing connected to the internet and an unresponsive RBR. After a quick unplug plug back in of the RBR power cable it works again until the next day. However, it had started to display the same issue several times a day so on Friday I called support and after an hour and some long distance remote control by support, they said all should be good but incase it is not we can do other things like downgrade FW. Left the ticket open just in case. They forced the 2.4 to channel 9 and changed Preamble Mode to Long Preamble.

All was good until yesterday when it started the comatose pose again. Today it started having seizures during my WebEx calls so I tried to downgrade FW but ran into the  "Ha-Ha, you can't do that" unless you stand on one leg while holding a rabbid teething puppy issue.... but I have work so I cant do it until I find the the way people mentioned in here and my work has ended.
So, during breaks I have been reading a bunch of the replies in this and other threads until I have wanted to gauge my eyes out.

Total Page Views42
Total Messages Read411

I have decided to change these settings to see if it can stableize:

• Internet IP Address - Use Static IP Address
  • Domain Name Server (DNS) Address - Use These DNS Servers
  • and set all devices to have Reserved IP addresses

I will see if it hoses anything up or if it stablizes. 
Anyone have a link to the downgrade FW proceedure?

Message 362 of 526
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Try disabling AX mode on 2.4Ghz and set CTS to 2347 on the RBR? 

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update?

@Retsehc wrote:

This has been a rock solid system for my home for almost a year. Pretty much zero issues ever. Like most in here I have also had issues since the upgrade. It is not the Close Encounters of the 3rd kind rotating alien rave lighting issue people are experiencing. Nor is it the lost RBS or speed issues.

My issue is related to the comatose RBR. Everything is fine as I go to sleep but I wake up to find nothing connected to the internet and an unresponsive RBR. After a quick unplug plug back in of the RBR power cable it works again until the next day. However, it had started to display the same issue several times a day so on Friday I called support and after an hour and some long distance remote control by support, they said all should be good but incase it is not we can do other things like downgrade FW. Left the ticket open just in case. They forced the 2.4 to channel 9 and changed Preamble Mode to Long Preamble.

All was good until yesterday when it started the comatose pose again. Today it started having seizures during my WebEx calls so I tried to downgrade FW but ran into the  "Ha-Ha, you can't do that" unless you stand on one leg while holding a rabbid teething puppy issue.... but I have work so I cant do it until I find the the way people mentioned in here and my work has ended.
So, during breaks I have been reading a bunch of the replies in this and other threads until I have wanted to gauge my eyes out.

Total Page Views 42
Total Messages Read 411

I have decided to change these settings to see if it can stableize:

I will see if it hoses anything up or if it stablizes. 

Message 363 of 526
N3tworkDud3
Apprentice

@Retsehc wrote:

Yes sir - here you go:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6-AX-and-WiFi-6E-AXE/RBK750-Series-Firmware-Update-v4-6-3...

It's message 108 by Xcelebric

Message 364 of 526
FURRYe38
Guru

I did use that to downgrade mine..it works. 

However, I decided to update mine back to v4 and for my 8 series, the downgrade and reupdate made it stable. 

Users will need to block the RBR from updating using Xcelebric process using old FW that has telnet. 

Message 365 of 526
Retsehc
Tutor

Spectrum modem: Motorola E31T2V1

CTS has now been set to 2347

Message 366 of 526
FURRYe38
Guru

Try try the new CTS value before deciding to downgrade. Others have mentioned that the CTS value change and disabling AX mode on 2.4Ghz seems to help stablize there systems. 

I would also power OFF the ISP Modem and RBR for a minute or more then back ON as well. 

You can downgrade later if you feel the need...

Message 367 of 526
Norbertop
Guide

Thanks for the several helps quotes and posts in this forum (and I followed several) but .......... Getting back to the baseline here. I did not purchase a (expensive) product to spend so much time and cancelling several services in the system to get it running and more stable. I would love to install the next stable firmware version and enjoy the mesh system I paid for. So please please please Netgear BRING FORWARD A SOLID AND STABLE NETWORK SYSTEM (firmware) soon. Thanks again to all moderators and helpfull others.
Message 368 of 526
Retsehc
Tutor

UPDATE

Changes made:

• Turned off AX for 2.4
  • CTS set to 2347

Result to 21hrs post change: I woke up finding I have not had to reboot the RBR.

I will post an update later today or in the morning.

System Up Time 20:53:58
PortStatusTxPktsRxPktsCollisionsTx B/sRx B/sUp Time
WAN1000M/Full7889710516273670307415137818:56:43
LAN11000M/Full3188888767706180620852456118:56:59
LAN2100M/Full3482182513240665464918:56:59
LAN310M/Half192117634769203866261207:20:25
2.4G WLAN b/g/n/ax200M2888461971270237938720:53:58
5G WLAN a/n/ac/ax1201M2955694833712046779282720:53:58
Message 369 of 526
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad the suggestions helped. 

Yes, NG IS aware of the problems. Please be patient while they come out with a fix. 

@Norbertop wrote:
Thanks for the several helps quotes and posts in this forum (and I followed several) but .......... Getting back to the baseline here. I did not purchase a (expensive) product to spend so much time and cancelling several services in the system to get it running and more stable. I would love to install the next stable firmware version and enjoy the mesh system I paid for. So please please please Netgear BRING FORWARD A SOLID AND STABLE NETWORK SYSTEM (firmware) soon. Thanks again to all moderators and helpfull others.

Message 370 of 526
FURRYe38
Guru

Good to hear and glad the suggestions are helping. The stats look good too.

Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System

@Retsehc wrote:

UPDATE

Changes made:

• Turned off AX for 2.4
  • CTS set to 2347

Result to 21hrs post change: I woke up finding I have not had to reboot the RBR.

I will post an update later today or in the morning.

System Up Time 20:53:58
Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
WAN 1000M/Full 7889710 51627367 0 30741 51378 18:56:43
LAN1 1000M/Full 31888887 6770618 0 62085 24561 18:56:59
LAN2 100M/Full 348218 251324 0 665 4649 18:56:59
LAN3 10M/Half 1921176 347692 0 38662 612 07:20:25
2.4G WLAN b/g/n/ax 200M 288846 197127 0 2379 387 20:53:58
5G WLAN a/n/ac/ax 1201M 2955694 833712 0 46779 2827 20:53:58

Message 371 of 526
jamacphoto
Apprentice

Sadly your baseline complaint has been made many many times via here and many other venues and the response seems to be “don’t care”. my Proof of Netgear not caring is they could be doing and saying more, being more transparent and so much more but have chosen not to. Any communication with Netgear and general has been very short to the point pc and legal and nothing other than acknowledging there is a problem , and that is as far as they go.

Sadly this was a stellar system and kind of still is for some but so sad it has gone on this far.
You have to wonder if it is a firmware and or hardware combined issue as we see then still selling this product and have to wonder if these new users are having same issues. Again spitballing that I’ve we did get a new version would issue go away.

Just makes you think as to the real reason why all of this going on. Sadly all here are outside the Netgear bubble
Message 372 of 526
Dazza762
Luminary

Well I've now updated the satallites to the latest FM. I'll just have to cross my fingers and hope it goes well. 

I've just logged into the admin website and it now shows all three units as being on FM version V4.6.5.14 BUT it's saying there's an update for just one of the RBS units and the FM it's saying to update to is V4.6.3.16 (!!!)

Message 373 of 526
FURRYe38
Guru

Have you powered OFF the RBR and RBS for 1 minute or more after updating FW, then back ON with the RBR first then RBS? 

Probably can ignore the udpate about v4.6.3x. 

@Dazza762 wrote:

Well I've now updated the satallites to the latest FM. I'll just have to cross my fingers and hope it goes well. 

I've just logged into the admin website and it now shows all three units as being on FM version V4.6.5.14 BUT it's saying there's an update for just one of the RBS units and the FM it's saying to update to is V4.6.3.16 (!!!)

Message 374 of 526
Retsehc
Tutor

"Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed. "

@FURRYe38   Ya, that is done before and after every change.

I am goning to make sure I have a stable environment and then start to undo changes/add back in some of the features to see which one or combo is the RC for me. I will post the finding here.

@jamacphoto 

"my Proof of Netgear not caring is they could be doing and saying more, being more transparent and so much more but have chosen not to. Any communication with Netgear and general has been very short to the point pc and legal and nothing other than acknowledging there is a problem , and that is as far as they go."

Nowadays, public companies are not going to do this due to the volatility of the market, saturated competition, and instant social media backlash. the last time I think we had a company in the US actually come out and say they messed up was when Coca-cola introduced "Classic" after "New Coke" failed. Frankly, they do not owe us any insight into their operations outside of "Yes there is an issue and we are working it." Do we all want a product without issues, YES. Everything electronic usually has an issue when you mass produce. They need to get a patch out which addresses the issues and if they were Agile, they would release several of them to address them one at a time instaed of a large one. They should be doing Green/Blue deployments to capture this before it hits most customers since they have auto update. Enough of my soapbox rant.. Like you, I would like a timeline of when they will fix it. about us being outside the bubble..I want to be there... I dont want to be on the inside being yelled at by customers AND management..

Message 375 of 526
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7