Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: New - RBR750 / RBS750 Firmware Version 4.6.5.14 Released

N3tworkDud3
Apprentice

@EagleLanded wrote:

At least NG Product management is trying to step up here - instead of sending the "Super User" in town

Not quite sure what you are referring to about NG Product management - if you are referring to the Furry character, I don't think he's an NG employee but some yahoo that SOMETIMES has good ideas but is more of a broken record with "be sure you backup" "here are some links" and "not everyone is having an issue" "NG is aware - give them time" blah blah blah. As far as I can tell, NO ONE from the company has been participating anywhere on these forums in relation to this firmware saga.

Message 451 of 526
jamacphoto
Apprentice

Want to give a tip of the hat to Furry who has done a lot to try and help us during these very trying situation
Message 452 of 526
FURRYe38
Guru

Thanks, glad someone appreciates us. Only here to help out where we can. We already know problems that are out of our handes for those who have problems and need NG to fix there problems. We can only do so much. Forums are for user to user help and information mostly. We all know about everyones frusttrations. Not much else we can do. I have been advacating to NG when I can in regards to users problems. Anything beyond that, users need to contact NG support and let them know about there problems. That alll. 

And not to sound unprofessional, but some of you JA users out there make it hard on us to help out sometimes. It's very un-called for and un-necessary!!!

Have a great weekend. Happy Holidays.

Message 453 of 526
r-lerman
Guide

@Retired_Member wrote:

Hi 

Without reading every page in this thread, I gather there has been some issues with latest firmware, Im planing on purchasing this mesh system soon, what exactly is the issue, and I presume it will get fixed?

Thanks

Check my story:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6-AX-and-WiFi-6E-AXE/New-RBR750-RBS750-Firmware-Version-4-6-5-14-Released/m-p/2163699/highlight/true#M23023

Message 454 of 526

It's a great story and very similar to my experience.  In the end I put a Ubiquiti EdgeRouter ER4 into my setup, downgraded the Orbi and put into access point mode and this does work.  However as I've said before, its quite unreasonable to expect this as a solution for what I'm assuming the target market of the Orbi mesh is.  Since it has routing capabilities and a wireless backhaul, Orbi really suits people that can't hardwire and don't want/need complex network hardware separation, they just want to dot a few access points around and have it work.  The fact the software limits configurability, limits the ability for users to choose firmware etc puts it firmly in the consumer plug and play category.  Netgear limit this to prevent customers creating problems with their set up, yet its backfired in many ways.

To echo others sentiments, the line that "it takes time for a fix" is lost when it is coming close to 1 year since 4.6.3.7 was released and yet people are still having issues.  For what its worth I work in product development with engineering teams (albeit eCommerce with its own concerns) and any issues that prevent our customer using our products is fixed immediately, always within 1 day but normally within a few minutes.  Our teams simply rollback to the last known stable version while they work on it.  Whilst appreciating this is harder to do for physical products on consumer sites, Netgear could do it.  1 year is not an acceptable timeframe for a fix in my own opinion.

For what its worth:

1. This forum is good.  It can be a little frustrating following the standard copy and paste steps, customer service/IT support really hasn't moved on from "have you tried turning it on and off again". 

2. Lots of people may not be suffering issues, although it is my belief that many will simply not notice if they are.  If your satellite disconnects once or twice a day and you are not connected to it, or you are connected but are doing something that doesn't require a real time connection e.g. Zoom, gaming etc then your device will simply pick up the next satellite or router and continue.  Netflix, spotify, youtube etc all pre-cache meaning a small disconnect will go unnoticed.

3. Those that do have a stable connection, but disabled features or hardwired the backhaul, blocked auto updates etc are not really helping the situation unfortunately.  Yes the product can be made stable but not everyone will be able to achieve these things.  They are essentially workarounds.  Thats not to say we shouldn't do these things, but saying "its fine and stable for me" having done a bunch of workarounds is disingenuous.  The product isn't stable, it can be made stable at a cost.

4. Like others, I no longer recommend this product, however what do I recommend instead?  The sad truth is there currently isn't a simple plug and play mesh solution that is flawless and stable by default and offers the speeds we want.  Here are your options:

a) Asus XT8 - Lots of similar stories about it being awesome, when it works.  Does allow you to load your own firmware though so if you can find a stable version you don't need to jump through hoops

b) TP Link Deco - Some good stories from this but its a bit more budget and speed tests I've compared don't offer the same speed and coverage as the XT8 and Orbis

c) Linksys Mesh - Same story as the TP link

d) Amazon Eero - I've seen some good things about this.  I struggle to recommend products like this though (same with Nest Wifi)

e) Amplifi Alien - This is the one I want to recommend, but it doesn't have a dedicated backhaul and since I think most people want mesh networks for wireless extension that backhaul is significant.  Come on Ubiquiti, release a version with a dedicated backhaul and I'll send you my credit card details immediately

Message 455 of 526
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@r-lerman wrote:

@Retired_Member wrote:

Hi 

Without reading every page in this thread, I gather there has been some issues with latest firmware, Im planing on purchasing this mesh system soon, what exactly is the issue, and I presume it will get fixed?

Thanks

Check my story:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6-AX-and-WiFi-6E-AXE/New-RBR750-RBS750-Firmware-Version-4-6-5-14-Released/m-p/2163699/highlight/true#M23023

Thanks, I have seen enough now to put me off buying. Maybe I will not have problems, but I don't want to spend £360+, spend a day setting it all up, and then find I have issues.

Its a really expensive product, so im amazed that I read all the issues people have been having for many months on this firmware. Hope you all get a positive outcome.

Message 456 of 526

After two factory resets since last post and breaksown again after apprx. 1 hour each time (random which of the satelites and frequent LAN issues) - I decided enough was enough. I went with the Asus XT8, flawless setup, and works like a dream so far. App is working well, and show the real status. Speeds are the same as with the ORBI RBR854 system I had.

Going back to the retailer with a reklamation (we have two years in the country I live in), hopefully they return it back to NG.

As said Furry I respect what you do and your intentions - but be honest from the beginning - so people know what they potentially are up against, when it comes to the risk of NG FW.

Goodbye NG - you lost a loyal customer throughout the last 10 years - spending a lot of money on your once fantastic now crap products. I will never ever recommend NG again to anyone.

Message 457 of 526
FURRYe38
Guru

Good Luck. 

Message 458 of 526
claudiut
Apprentice

I wish I could do the same, but unfortunatelly I can't return the product anymore otherwise I would have done it instantly. It's unbelieveable how a company like NG can't get their s%$# together and come out with a proper firmware. The most frustrating is that you pay for an expensive system and expect quality on both the product and customer support. Neither is there! It's unheard of to recommend your customers to do a reset of the system few times a day, not to mention to factory reset and go through the setup when things are not going well, and still not have the expected results.

To be completely transparent NG support reached out and ask to test a trial/beta firmware, which I'm currently running for about 3 weeks now. It's been more stable than 4.6.5.14 but still quite a lot of disconnections and the speed performance is not consistently stable (sometimes reaching peak values but most of time is way below what it's expected) I'll collect some debug info and sent it back to NG, but eventually I'll move back to 3.x firmware version as it's been the most stable for me (RBR750 + 2 x RBS750)

I know for sure one thing: I won't be recommending NG to anyone, ever!

@EagleLanded wrote:

After two factory resets since last post and breaksown again after apprx. 1 hour each time (random which of the satelites and frequent LAN issues) - I decided enough was enough. I went with the Asus XT8, flawless setup, and works like a dream so far. App is working well, and show the real status. Speeds are the same as with the ORBI RBR854 system I had.

Going back to the retailer with a reklamation (we have two years in the country I live in), hopefully they return it back to NG.

As said Furry I respect what you do and your intentions - but be honest from the beginning - so people know what they potentially are up against, when it comes to the risk of NG FW.

Goodbye NG - you lost a loyal customer throughout the last 10 years - spending a lot of money on your once fantastic now crap products. I will never ever recommend NG again to anyone.

Message 459 of 526
claudiut
Apprentice

Hi @ChristineT 

I see this thread is marked as 'Solved'

Curious what is the actual solution as I (and many others who continue to post here) still have issues with the 4.x firmware. I see this is a new low level for NG where threads are marked as 'Solved' just to portay the fact that things are getting resolved, when the reality is definitely different.

Please do the right thing, and 1) remove the 'Solved' tag 2) press the NG teams working on firmware to come up with an actual solution not factory reset / setup recommendations which go nowhere.

Thanks

Message 460 of 526
jamacphoto
Apprentice

Why is this posted as solved when it is not
Message 461 of 526
N3tworkDud3
Apprentice

@jamacphoto wrote:
Why is this posted as solved when it is not

It's not solved. That's our Furry person "being helpful" when he's not. I also sent a message to the missing moderators about it. The only acceptable solution is fixed firmware. OR - getting rid of the Orbi crap and going with another company. Which, everyone should do - along with telling as many people as you can not to buy Netgear anything.

Message 462 of 526
jamacphoto
Apprentice

Well that seems Weird that Furry would say it solved when weekly response or new people with issue is all the things you can try to fix it
I am still having berry minor issue we’re a few (3 to 5 devices, are dropping and then luckily rejoining again so very annoying and for 90% of my stuff all appears to be fixed

Instead of Solved needs to be bandaid applied and holding on.

Really hope they fix this by software and/or hardware.

I guess the real fix is to jump through the hoops to the last stable firmware but I will only do that if I paid $50 for it. Lol Netgear is truly pathetic.

Message 463 of 526

I have a couple of devices that appear to drop connection, but it’s limited to a couple of devices and commonly they are about equal distance between router and satellite.

One device is my tv, I don’t really use the wifi on it except for software updates, but it will annoyingly pop up and say it’s disconnected now and again.

The other was an old iPad. It would not reconnect automatically but seems to have been solved by forgetting the network.

I really want to get something else but I’m just not clear what to buy instead. So I’m sticking with v3.x firmware and I’m not upgrading again.
Message 464 of 526
FURRYe38
Guru

Try disabling AX mode on 2.4Ghz on the RBR and set CTS to 2347. Might try using manual channels as well. I use 1 and 40 or 11 and 48. 

@EvilHomer80 wrote:
I have a couple of devices that appear to drop connection, but it’s limited to a couple of devices and commonly they are about equal distance between router and satellite.

One device is my tv, I don’t really use the wifi on it except for software updates, but it will annoyingly pop up and say it’s disconnected now and again.

The other was an old iPad. It would not reconnect automatically but seems to have been solved by forgetting the network.

I really want to get something else but I’m just not clear what to buy instead. So I’m sticking with v3.x firmware and I’m not upgrading again.

Message 465 of 526
FURRYe38
Guru

Well for some the factory reset worked thus figured it was solved.

It has worked for some:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6-AX-and-WiFi-6E-AXE/New-RBR850-RBS850-Firmware-Version-4...
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6-AX-and-WiFi-6E-AXE/New-RBR850-RBS850-Firmware-Version-4...

https://www.reddit.com/r/orbi/comments/qluh8k/rbr750rbs750_firmware_46514_one_step_forward_two/hjes9...

I guess not for all. I'll ask for them to remove the solved marking so I don't hurt anyone. Smiley Wink

@jamacphoto wrote:
Well that seems Weird that Furry would say it solved when weekly response or new people with issue is all the things you can try to fix it
I am still having berry minor issue we’re a few (3 to 5 devices, are dropping and then luckily rejoining again so very annoying and for 90% of my stuff all appears to be fixed

Instead of Solved needs to be bandaid applied and holding on.

Really hope they fix this by software and/or hardware.

I guess the real fix is to jump through the hoops to the last stable firmware but I will only do that if I paid $50 for it. Lol Netgear is truly pathetic.

Message 466 of 526
jamacphoto
Apprentice

Lol it is not to not hurt anyone
I would be 100% agreeing that it is resolved if it was resolved. Downgrading to the best firmware that works is the patch is a Band-Aid. But does not resolve the issue that their device auto update firmware. The most part I agree with the auto updates because if there is some serious security flaw and you have auto update blocked you could have a big hole in your system. Sadly there is no simple way to downgrade and they don’t want to provide the last stable as the latest firmware.

I actually was one of the ones that stumbled on removing Ax from 2.4 and before it was a complete disaster and now is 90% with normal speeds.
So I am still having a small 2.4 issue of loosing a few daily blip off and on couple times a day. And yes I have deleted these Wi-Fi devices and our lightbulbs and re-added them and they still seem to be flipping on and off. Not always the same ones but seems to be same way 10 or so that randomly drop on and off for a couple days and then stable and then another group. Before with AX was half of all in house and would not rejoin whatsoever.

So yes much improved and not picking on anyone especially Furry, just stating might be fixed for some but not all.

Message 467 of 526
jamacphoto
Apprentice

Adding did a factory reset way back before Turing ax off and loading the newest firmware and did nothing really. Stable for a bit then chaos.

Not going to do it now with AX off for 2.4 as if it is stable and Ax is off for 2.4 then want money back as was sold would have Ax for all. Again this does not seem to be 100% resolved as a large number are still having issues.

I guess how many recently have done the factory reset and and ax on 2.4 and no issue or nothing stopping firmware updates. And have the latest firmware.
Message 468 of 526
FURRYe38
Guru

Also set CTS to 2347? 

What channels are you using? Mine runs 11 and 48. 

How many RBS do you have? I only have one. 

Does problems appear if you turn OFF all RBS? 

@jamacphoto wrote:
Adding did a factory reset way back before Turing ax off and loading the newest firmware and did nothing really. Stable for a bit then chaos.

Not going to do it now with AX off for 2.4 as if it is stable and Ax is off for 2.4 then want money back as was sold would have Ax for all. Again this does not seem to be 100% resolved as a large number are still having issues.

I guess how many recently have done the factory reset and and ax on 2.4 and no issue or nothing stopping firmware updates. And have the latest firmware.

Message 469 of 526
jamacphoto
Apprentice

Also set CTS to 2347?
Yes

Same here and did a wifi scan and these are best channels in my neighborhood using pc wifi scan and Mac

Have one base and 2 satellites. Never really had problems with satellites going off. Only issue I had was at one point it was very unstable and when I did a reset then some satellite wouldn’t reconnect even though I gave them long enough some times waited an hour and did another reboot.

Once I seem to set the AX off on 2.4 now can do reboot no issue have power for 2.4 and 5 at 50%
Message 470 of 526
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, hopefully might help keep it stable. 

FYI, this user posted this earlier today about his RBS not syncing:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6-AX-and-WiFi-6E-AXE/RBS750-Satellite-won-t-connect-to-ro...

Something to keep in mind. 

Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System

@jamacphoto wrote:
Also set CTS to 2347?
Yes

Same here and did a wifi scan and these are best channels in my neighborhood using pc wifi scan and Mac

Have one base and 2 satellites. Never really had problems with satellites going off. Only issue I had was at one point it was very unstable and when I did a reset then some satellite wouldn’t reconnect even though I gave them long enough some times waited an hour and did another reboot.

Once I seem to set the AX off on 2.4 now can do reboot no issue have power for 2.4 and 5 at 50%

Message 471 of 526
jamacphoto
Apprentice

For most part my system is 90% stable just can’t use Ax on 2.4 and weekly like 3 to 5 different wifi devices drop and jump back on instantly to 8 min longer. Minor annoyance. Can’t wait for day when all properties are defaulted and works like before. A complete dream.
Thanks
Message 472 of 526
FURRYe38
Guru

👍

Message 473 of 526
N3tworkDud3
Apprentice

What channel you use will be dependent on what's around you. Go do a Google search for "what is the best wifi channel for me to use" and many articles will come up. Here's one link that may be helpful:

https://www.lifewire.com/best-wifi-channels-for-your-network-818278

To say I use this channel or that channel is not helping anyone. Not unless you happen to be their neightbor and a simple scan will help determine that.

Also - MANY people may think performing the various steps presented on this forum fixed their issue.  I'll go out on a limb here and say it did not. It MAY have resolved some issues, but many wiill persist. Like that have through the various 4.x versions of firmware that came out. I didn't know about them and instead blamed teh devices or my ISP. It's the router functionality - period and it's the bad firmware - periiod. Watch your devices over time and you'll see connectivity goes in and out across the network. Heck - I even have a third party "interconnected" device telling me this device or that device has been found to disconnect frtom the network, you may want to check it out - how freakiing sad is that?

I'm just waiting for Asus stuff to go on sale or see if Netgear fixes the issue with an option to disable futher updates. i also paid for the Security package for the year - looking for a way to get refunded when I do replace this system or push iit to AP mode.

To those of you who have done the steps to revert to 3.x and block  the update service - you'll want to ensure upstream through your ISP you have a good firewall with udpates as the 3.x alone does have serious security issues. I'm not going to say what they are here - you'll have to do your homework. 

Message 474 of 526
ahswp
Apprentice

Any update when a firmware update will fix this disaster?
Message 475 of 526
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7