Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

New - RBR750 / RBS750 Firmware Version 4.6.5.14 Released

Retsehc
Tutor

Re: New - RBR750 / RBS750 Firmware Version 4.6.5.14 Released

@Rudolphy  

My hopes, dreams, and wishes are that I receive the new router with the latest firmware already installed and it works out of the box. I know it will not be so but a guy can dream right?

I will go today and sit on Santa's lap ask him for a firmware updated router for Christmas. This way I have all my bases covered as I already prayed for it.

Message 426 of 526
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Hi 

Without reading every page in this thread, I gather there has been some issues with latest firmware, Im planing on purchasing this mesh system soon, what exactly is the issue, and I presume it will get fixed?

Thanks

Message 427 of 526

I would personally not buy this mesh system.  The issues people are suffering have been around a very long time and you'll be sent down a rabbit hole trying to resolve them.

That said not everyone who bought this mesh will have problems, but I personally wouldn't take the risk especially considering the high price for these, and there are other products with similar range and speed that don't lock you down so much, so at least with others if there are issues you can usually find a working firmware

Message 428 of 526
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@EvilHomer80 wrote:

I would personally not buy this mesh system.  The issues people are suffering have been around a very long time and you'll be sent down a rabbit hole trying to resolve them.

That said not everyone who bought this mesh will have problems, but I personally wouldn't take the risk especially considering the high price for these, and there are other products with similar range and speed that don't lock you down so much, so at least with others if there are issues you can usually find a working firmware

Oh thats disapointing, I was hoping its just an issue with this current firmware, was really set on this mesh system as well, but the main thing for me is stability, I dont want silly issues that require reboots or internet dropouts while Im streaming something for example.

Message 429 of 526

It is a shame.  To be honest on paper the Netgear Orbi is an incredible mesh system and I had an amazing time with the RBK50 but wanted to dip my toe into wifi 6 as more devices become available to support it.  However in practical use the RBK50 was a lot more useful.

For full disclosure, my Orbi 753 is working pretty well.  It has its hiccups but its been up and stable for months now.  However for that to happen I had to downgrade the firmware to 3.x.  On all versions of 4 I've had issues with the satellites disconnecting.  You don't always notice it, but if you were streaming something whilst connected to a satellite you would and both myself and wife sit on zoom calls most of the working day so it was obvious it had problems.

Downgrading to 3.x is not especially difficult, but its much harder than it need to be.  Search this forum and you'll find details on how to do it.  It involves hacking the HTML a bit on the admin page.  Netgear also auto installs updates, so you have to immediately block them.  I suggest doing this before you downgrade.  To block the updates there are two approaches you can find on here but they are not always fully successful.  One involves downgrading to a version that allows Telnet then using commands to update the configuration, the other relies on a downstream router between your internet connection and the orbi to block access to the auto update servers.

So in summary:

- The issue is clearly firmware because on 3.x I have no such problems, so at least its fixable

- Netgear have been painfully slow to fix the issue and a couple of interim updates did nothing to fix the stability of mine.  I think this has been going on the best part of 2021

- Some had success by disabling certain features.  I disagree that this is acceptable as you are buying a premium product

- Netgear support is beyond terrible to non-existent, but this forum is useful with a lot of good people trying to help

- I would not buy this product again and have been removing netgear items from my network

- Even to get it to work, you need to do a lot of hacking about.  This product is meant to be for consumers, its designed to be set up by the app and with auto updates, just forget about it.  However the opposite is true, you will be forever tinkering to try and get something resembling a stable connection

- Ideally you want another router between orbi and outside connection.  Kind of defeats the whole point of the Orbi and makes it a very overpriced access point instead

There are many other mesh systems, most of which are probably not designed as user friendly as the Orbi, but given Netgear have failed here, but worse don't let you access detailed settings to try and fix it yourself, I'd opt for something else if I was buying now.

I personally think the only way to make products better is for the consumer to speak with their wallets and purses.  If a product is still selling and people put up with the issues then there is little incentive to improve it

Message 430 of 526
FURRYe38
Guru

Not everyone has problems with Orbi. Mines working just fine on v4 FW. Though there are some that have problems. NG IS aware of the users problems and those that are effected and is working on it. 

You can certainly try one out. I recommend finding a place that has a good return and refund policy however. 

@Retired_Member wrote:

Hi 

Without reading every page in this thread, I gather there has been some issues with latest firmware, Im planing on purchasing this mesh system soon, what exactly is the issue, and I presume it will get fixed?

Thanks

Message 431 of 526
ray_furry
Tutor

Do we have to pay for Netgear support?

I too have problems with this latest firmware.

Seems like there are plenty of support members here..??

Message 432 of 526

I write this post to say goodbye to Netgear, forever. I leave it as a cautionary tale for anyone planning on purchasing. And I hope, someone in Netgear reads this, and questions their corporate behaviour towards this community.

On paper, Orbi is a cracking system

Few mesh systems can compete with Orbi when it comes to hardware specifications. The RBK753 has cutting edge wifi technology, that in theory, is class leading. 

However, the reality is this system is a hot mess

Lets start with the good. When it works, the system is lightning fast. My 1GB connection is comfortably pumped around my house, and whether connected to the base router or satellite, I get a solid 600-700mpb over a wifi 6 iphone. Apple connectivity is stable with bonjour and airplay, not the case for many routers. And aesthetically, it's a nice system.

However, the v4 firmware is a disaster. Satellites disconnect at regular intervals. Lights cycle between white flashing, to blue, to nothing. Disconnections occur. This has been happening for months without fix. 

This has taught me a big lesson with wifi and home networking - speed is nothing, without stability.

Issues happen. The sign of a company is how they deal with them.

The firmware issues are very frustrating. But what it has exposed is much worse; a company who do not seem to care about their customers and the issues they are facing.

There has been no public acknowledgement of the problem. No one posts on these forums from Netgear, not one moderator steps in to provide assurances issues will be fixed. The silence is deafening.

To make it worse, support only lasts 90 days. So Netgear break the system you purchase, then don't provide support - astonishing!

The various levels of support do not talk to eachother or understand the issue. The amount of product on this forum that Netgear have returns and replaced for hardware issues, when it is clearly firmware, is shocking. Waste of time and effort all round, when the issue is dead clear on the firmware.

There is no way to roll back the firmware - this one really gets me. v4 is clearly broken. v3 worked. But Netgear won't allow a roll back, won't acknowledge the issue, so you're stuck. Why you might ask? A roll back would seem obvious? I suspect its because the new firmware brings with it a paid subscription to parental controls...

So in the bin it goes, along with a lifelong netgear customer

That's me done. I've used Netgear products all my life, but never again. I am shocked at how Netgear have handled this whole mess. 

The sign of a great company is not never making mistakes, but how they deal with them. Netgear need to be better than this.

Message 433 of 526
ray_furry
Tutor

Looks like I'm not the only one.  Maybe I should start looking for another system

Message 434 of 526
ray_furry
Tutor

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Not everyone has problems with Orbi. Mines working just fine on v4 FW. Though there are some that have problems. NG IS aware of the users problems and those that are effected and is working on it. 

You can certainly try one out. I recommend finding a place that has a good return and refund policy however. 

@Retired_Member wrote:

Hi 

Thanks

Did you have to pay for support?

Message 435 of 526
Jlhardwick
Star

I gave up a long time ago on Netgear and moved on to other hardware. It's been 6 months since they broke my Orbi (which I loved) with no fix or communtication in sight.

I only remain on this forum to hear if and when a working firmware is released so I can update my system and sell it.

Done with Netgear and will never buy another product from them again. Horrible support policies and service.

Message 436 of 526
ray_furry
Tutor

@Jlhardwick wrote:

I gave up a long time ago on Netgear and moved on to other hardware. It's been 6 months since they broke my Orbi (which I loved) with no fix or communtication in sight.

I only remain on this forum to hear if and when a working firmware is released so I can update my system and sell it.

Done with Netgear and will never buy another product from them again. Horrible support policies and service.

Its kinda sad.  I tried to call support and they wanted money.  Came in here and it seems somewhat confusing.  Lots of questions but no real fixes.  Tried to ask how much other paid for support and go no where.

What brand router did you enhd up with?

Message 437 of 526
Jlhardwick
Star

I ended up with the TP-Link Deco x68. It's not quite as robust at the Orbi but so far has givin me zero problems and their support is good for 1 year.

@ray_furry wrote:

@Jlhardwick wrote:

Its kinda sad.  I tried to call support and they wanted money.  Came in here and it seems somewhat confusing.  Lots of questions but no real fixes.  Tried to ask how much other paid for support and go no where.

Message 438 of 526
ray_furry
Tutor

@Jlhardwick wrote:

I ended up with the TP-Link Deco x68. It's not quite as robust at the Orbi but so far has givin me zero problems and their support is good for 1 year.

@ray_furry wrote:

@Jlhardwick wrote:

Thanks

I'll keep that one in mind.

Message 439 of 526

I am also forever disappointed with Netgear, and will never ever buy their overpriced products again. It is a daily nightmare being a customer on their wifi 6 products and it has being goinbg on for such a long time. Biggest regret is that I exhanged their Wifi 5 Mesh system for a Wifi 6 system. The W5 was running for years without any issues. W6 has been full of issues and unstable since day 1.

Even downloading to a v3 of their FW is considered a huge risk from a security aspect. There have been several security warnings on their FW's. And probaly the reason, why they are blocking normal downgrading.

But the worst part is the NG approach to their customers - Shame on you NG

Message 440 of 526
ray_furry
Tutor

@EagleLanded wrote:

I am also forever disappointed with Netgear, and will never ever buy their overpriced products again. It is a daily nightmare being a customer on their wifi 6 products and it has being goinbg on for such a long time. Biggest regret is that I exhanged their Wifi 5 Mesh system for a Wifi 6 system. The W5 was running for years without any issues. W6 has been full of issues and unstable since day 1.

Even downloading to a v3 of their FW is considered a huge risk from a security aspect. There have been several security warnings on their FW's. And probaly the reason, why they are blocking normal downgrading.

I'm afraid I have to agree.  To top it off, you come in here hoping for help and you may wear yourself out anwsering so many questions.  You have to wonder if they really help.  

Message 441 of 526
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 442 of 526
msfurry
Tutor

@ray_furry wrote:

@EagleLanded wrote:

I'm afraid I have to agree.  To top it off, you come in here hoping for help and you may wear yourself out anwsering so many questions.  You have to wonder if they really help.  

I agree.  I thought my system was working.  Woke up this morning and it's down again.  Should I do the factory reset.  Maybe take it back for a refund.

Message 443 of 526
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 444 of 526
msfurry
Tutor

@FURRYe38 wrote:

You may need to factory reset the system and power the system OFF as well. 
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6-AX-and-WiFi-6E-AXE/New-RBR850-RBS850-Firmware-Version-4...
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6-AX-and-WiFi-6E-AXE/New-RBR850-RBS850-Firmware-Version-4...

If this fails, then return it while your in a return period. 

Thank you

Seems to be the most popular suggestion thus far.  But on the other hand I don't think my other system had quite the number of problems so I may return the Netgear.  I hope I won't be charged for product support for chating with you.

Message 445 of 526

Yes - he is interupting the conversation with links and questions like always.

Everytime new poor users tells about their issues they are met with 20 questions and 5 link. Not a words about the risk that this user might been hit by the bad FW. That is not fair towards users not informing about this. If he was not on NG pay-roll, he would have informed about the risk, else his should consider his integrity.

I respect and appreciate the willingness to help other, but I find the way it is done strange. And questions why he is not directing all his energy towards getting NG to deal with their customers. I do not buy that NG are aware and never tell then they are going to release something - and pay him hold the line

Message 446 of 526

And by the way - I had today a rare ISP breakdown for 10 min. Now all satelites a totally bricked again - og I have restarted 10 times since ISP were back again. And it is still not working. All Mac devices disconnects randomly every hour. Even the LAN it cannot keep stable. Are my Netgear Arlo craches constanty together with my Hue witch have so must latency that it is a joke.

The only thing that keep the family running is a (ironically) a Netgear 5G mobile router - I should charge NG all the money I spend on an unlimited data-plan to keep the household running, being able to do our jobs and school from home during yet another lockdown.

And I paid to get the best in class MESH Wifi 6 system -. and I get no support - and cannot retun. 

Message 447 of 526
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes for some, there are problems. NG is aware. Takes time to fix things. 

Try a reset and see. Has helped others:

https://www.reddit.com/r/orbi/comments/qluh8k/rbr750rbs750_firmware_46514_one_step_forward_two/hjes9...

Any community forums is always free support, help and information though is limited on what we can do though. 

@msfurry wrote:

Thank you

Seems to be the most popular suggestion thus far.  But on the other hand I don't think my other system had quite the number of problems so I may return the Netgear.  I hope I won't be charged for product support for chating with you.

Message 448 of 526
jamacphoto
Apprentice

Thanks for the Laugh lol

Saw this in a post “it takes time for fix things..”

Lol

If I took that much time to fix things I’d be unemployed as a programmer lolol

Thanks
Message 449 of 526

Don't stop laughing yet 🙂

There comes the best. The MR5200 5G mobile route (800 USD), you cannot put in front of the Orbi RBS850, because the IP passthrough avoidance functionally is not working as intended. Guess why - another NG FW issue 🙂

At least NG Product management is trying to step up here - instead of sending the "Super User" in town

Message 450 of 526
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7