Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: New - RBR750 / RBS750 Firmware Version 7.2.6.21 Released

Theobuck
Apprentice

Different subject but for an echo device I need to have separate SSIDS for 2.4 and 5.ghz bands. Is there a knowledge base article?
Message 101 of 185
CrimpOn
Guru

@Theobuck wrote:
Different subject but for an echo device I need to have separate SSIDS for 2.4 and 5.ghz bands. Is there a knowledge base article?

It is a more effective practice to introduce new topics in a new post (because people who have followed the dozens of posts in an on-going discussion may no longer be paying attention to that thread.)

My Echo Dots function perfectly well with the Orbi having the same SSID on both 2.4 and 5G bands.

Can you please point to something from Amazon for this specific Echo product that requires separate SSIDs?

Message 102 of 185
Theobuck
Apprentice

SooooorrrrrrYYY CHESE.😳

I have an echo sub that does not recognize the single SSID. Amazon Tech support recommend two SSIDs.
But I just used the IOT SSID it was the only I saw and preferred, so never mind.
Thank you for keeping the community organized.👍
Message 103 of 185
Phyber
Luminary

FWIW, I gave the Guest Network a separate SSID and password and point all of my IoT devices to that (including my Echo). That appears to offer better security than just using the IoT option.

Message 104 of 185
Harryd1969
Aspirant

Hello

uodated my rb750 and satellites all fine

however

i had a guest network, that was on security none 

I have a few older devices connected to that

after the update I see the guest network security setting is on wpa2 personal with a password 

I can change it back to none, which is an option , however when I try to save I get an error and need to go into the WiFi settings …..

any solution other then downgrading ?

harry

a1

Message 105 of 185
Dreas89
Aspirant

Still no luck. Today my wife and one of the kids had major issues with the wireless after a blackout.

I had issues with the wireless I realize during a meeting. The Satellite is wired but has stopped showing as wired in the Network app.

This update really made my Orbi crap.
Message 106 of 185
FURRYe38
Guru

How is the RBS connected to the RBR? You say wired? Is it to the back of the RBR or is there any LAN switch in the middle? If there is a LAN switch, brand and model please of this switch.

Turn OFF the RBS and test to see if wifi problems are still seen.

What channel configurations are currently set on the router? 

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since v.21 was loaded? 

What is the distance between the one RBS and the RBR? In Feet please.

Message 107 of 185
lylwa
Aspirant

Just as a side note, I've adopted a method where I allocate a separate SSID and password to the Guest Network. This is where I connect all of my IoT devices, including my Echo. It appears to offer an extra layer of security compared to solely depending on the IoT feature.

Message 108 of 185
Phyber
Luminary

Been doing that for a long time. See my post above.

Message 109 of 185
Dreas89
Aspirant

How is the RBS connected to the RBR? You say wired? Is it to the back of the RBR or is there any LAN switch in the middle? If there is a LAN switch, brand and model please of this switch.

The RBS is connected through a patch panel and then straight into the RBR. There might for some devices be a D-Link 1008D in between but those is not the issue. 

Turn OFF the RBS and test to see if wifi problems are still seen.

Unfortunately I need to work. Might try this during the weekend.

What channel configurations are currently set on the router?

20/40 and Auto for the 2.4ghz network and for 5ghz Auto.

Looking at the satellite it says:

2.4ghz = channel 4.

5ghz = Channel: 36+40(P)+44+48

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since v.21 was loaded? 

Yes, yesterday I did not see any other option as one of the satellites did not work. Did a factory reset of all devices and set it up once again.

What is the distance between the one RBS and the RBR? In Feet please.

Hard to say, I would guess 30-40 feet through multiple walls - So far that my phone drops wifi connection sometimes(saw it yesterday after reset and no satellites up). Could that be the issue? That the Satellite tries over Wifi even though it has a wire? I moved the satellite from and earlier location that was one wall and 10 feet closer to the RBR a month ago - If the update made the router - satellite communication more sensetive that could be something. The threshold right now is set to 64. 

Yesterday I factory reset everything, set it up again. Now my old phone does not connect to the satellite - Only the RBR. The RBR has much worse coverage and drops all the time. My new phone connected to the satellite works quite well today. 

@FURRYe38 

Message 110 of 185
Ridski
Aspirant

I am new to the mesh system and I tried to update the firmware, but I screw up and did not update the satellites first. Now the satellites will not connect to the router. Is there any corrective action that I can take to fix the problem?

Message 111 of 185
FURRYe38
Guru

Downgrade the RBR back to what you had loaded on it. I presume the last v4 version of FW? Go back to that. 

https://kb.netgear.com/31573/How-do-I-manually-upgrade-firmware-on-my-Orbi-router-using-orbilogin-co...
Do you have RBS750s? 

@Ridski wrote:

I am new to the mesh system and I tried to update the firmware, but I screw up and did not update the satellites first. Now the satellites will not connect to the router. Is there any corrective action that I can take to fix the problem?

Message 112 of 185
Dreas89
Aspirant

So - Seems like the problem is solved @FURRYe38 . 

Is it a bug or should it work like this? 

I moved my satellite to a place where my phone has a stable connection with the RBR and now it does not drop. I connected my other satellite aswell(wireless). 

Should not the LAN connection from RBR and the first RBS be enough? 

So my summary is that the RBR and RBS always need wireless connection even though you have a lan cable connected. And that this latest update made the RBR worse in its range/more sensitive. 

I saw some stutters today like the RBR/RBS does some checks now and then to see that the connection is there. Inactivated the summer time and auto update feature and will test more next week.

I hope Netgear comes with a fix allowing the RBS being just outside/inside the range when connected to cable and not just for back haul. Even though my first satellite has cable the connection type is specified as Wireless. I saw this earlier aswell, the satellite jumps between wireless and cable. Also a bug or could that be the issue - That the satellite randomly swaps connection type and that is what I see when I have stutters etc? A setting for putting the satellite in "ethernet" only would solve my issue as the wired satellite seems to prefer wireless even though it before the move was a horrible connection. 

Message 113 of 185
FURRYe38
Guru

The RBS work either on wireless sync or ethernet sync, not both. So if you have the RBS ethernet connected, cabling, switching in between the RBR and RBS is good, the RBS will connect via ethernet. If cabling, jacks, switches are bad in anyway, would and could cause RBS to falter and switch from wired to wireless and cause problems. Also placement, distances between each other and size of home regardless of wireless or ethernet connections are a factor in how RBS work.

Message 114 of 185
Theobuck
Apprentice

I have two back hauls wired RBSs. I have my RBR in the master bathroom closet close to the ISP's Fiber Household Terminal.
I have had no degradation in the quality of connections since the upgrade. It has been much better since the recent FW update.
My system uptime is 34 days, and change.
The only issue I had since the update was a pairing issue with echo devices, but per their advice, I chose to put a few of them on my IoT network 5Gh only, which fixes the problem. That was more of a design problem with Amazon GoFigure. The workaround, per their ‘Tech’ support, is to split the 2.4 and 5Gh SSIDs. IoT Wi-Fi seemed my only choice. I could be wrong.
Message 115 of 185
Phyber
Luminary

I have a similar setup, only the 750R is downstairs where internet comes in and the two, 750S's are upstairs in rooms at the opposite ends of the house. Hard wired for the backhaul with solid copper core, CAT-6 cable.

I put our Echo on the Guest Network, which I renamed to something else and gave it its own password, along with my other IoT devices. I didn't bother to use the IoT option in the 750 because the Guest Network is more secure.

Message 116 of 185
Dreas89
Aspirant

Thanks for the answer Furry!

I have cable, the satellite says connection type wireless. Even though my satellite has a cable the behaviour is like it is trying to communicate through the wireless connection. My best guess at this stage as the move helped.
Message 117 of 185
Dreas89
Aspirant

Just dug a little deeper. Tried connecting with the cable going into the patch panel and it seems to be going up and down. Tried another cable but think the satellite was in swapp-connection-mode.

Third cable worked like a charm and I did not try the second one.
I have tested all cables in a cable tester can be added.

Now I got a ping that the RBR is connected through wire to my satellite - The satellite says connection type ”Wireless”.

I could maybe blame the Patch panel but I have played online for multiple years and it just works. So I am down to faulty RBR(hard as hell to prove) or patch panel port being of - In plural out of nowhere.
Message 118 of 185
FURRYe38
Guru

I'd presume the patch panel and cabling there maybe your cause of problems. 

To check this, bring the RBS to near or same room as RBR and directly connect them to the back of the RBR there and observe the status on the RBS and RBR web page. If you have good quality cables, status should be always wired. 

Message 119 of 185
Dreas89
Aspirant

Well I have an update. The patch panel had 3 ports that was wrongly connected. Now it works. Thanks Furry for the help!
Message 120 of 185
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working.  Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy. 📡

@Dreas89 wrote:
Well I have an update. The patch panel had 3 ports that was wrongly connected. Now it works. Thanks Furry for the help!

Message 121 of 185
Dreas89
Aspirant

Anyone else having issues with the IOT network being visible? Never turned it on, it is there. Turn settings on and then off, it is there 🤷

Edit: Seems to be coming and going as it is gone now.
Message 122 of 185
Theobuck
Apprentice

I can see mine i turn it on a many comments back no issues with it to date.
Message 123 of 185
Theobuck
Apprentice

And got a lecture on community wall decorum. 😳
Message 124 of 185
Phyber
Luminary

Never really noticed it. I don't use the IoT option. All of my IoT devices are on the Guest Network, with it's own SSID and password.

Message 125 of 185
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series