Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: New - RBR750 / RBS750 Firmware Version v4.6.7.5 Released

Totally agree! Especially at the premium price point these sell at. Don’t get me wrong not defending netgear this has been a really nightmare, but there is the possibility your issue is a hardware issue. I can’t say for sure as I had to run orbi in AP mode because they did away with DHCP client options, something I need for my ISP. Rbk50 allowed this.

That said since getting the EdgeRouter I’ve been able to do a lot more with my network. Orbi deals with the wifi
Message 126 of 261
Cyv
Apprentice
Apprentice

@FURRYe38 wrote:

I've seen the wire status as well even though my RBS is wireless connected. Only lasts for seconds then finally changes to the wireless status. Possible this maybe a in progress and web page update and refesh thing. I wouldn't worry too much about it as long as the status gets changed to the correct state. 

What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)?

Ttry turning down the power output of the RBRs wifi radios from 100% to 50% and see if this changes anything. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

@Cyv wrote:

The bug stays, after reboot the router says satellites are connected via wire, which is definiteley wrong. After some minutes it shows 5G...

I see a different behaviour of my wifi-devices. If they reach the router, they connect to the router and not to the satellites, even if they are way more closer. My appletv and all of my homepods in the living room are connecting to the router at the other end of the house, while the satellite is in visual range, 3 meters from all these devices away. I don't get it. This makes no sense. This is new and was different on previous firmwares...

First I turned the signal strength down to 50% and after that to 25%. For some hours everything looked good. But now, some days later, mostly all devices are connected to the router again, which makes absolutely no sense. The satellite from the livingroom is 3 meters away from appleTV and the homepods and they connect to the router, which is about 10m away through several walls. Furthermore I am now losing connection, when i am outside. This update is still buggy. 

Message 127 of 261
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?

@Cyv 

Message 128 of 261
Cyv
Apprentice
Apprentice

@FURRYe38 wrote:

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?

@Cyv 

@FURRYe38 

135 square meters, 1453,13 square feet via google converter....

Distance betweent router and satellites are like 7 Meters through some wodden walls. Backhaul is good and fast.

Message 129 of 261
FURRYe38
Guru

Lets turn OFF 1 RBS. For that size of home, having 2 RBS maybe causing problems. Make sure the 1 RBS is at 30 feet at least from the RBR. Could be a bit farther too. 

@Cyv wrote:

135 square meters, 1453,13 square feet via google converter....

Distance betweent router and satellites are like 7 Meters through some wodden walls. Backhaul is good and fast.

Message 130 of 261
Cyv
Apprentice
Apprentice

For real? There are no specifications about that. Its necessary to use one ethernet-ports on each satelitte. So turning off is no option.

Message 131 of 261
FURRYe38
Guru

https://www.netgear.com/home/wifi/mesh/find-my-orbi/

2000sq ft and under, just 1 RBR or 1 RBR and 1 RBS depending on placement and distance is recommended. 

I have a 5000sq ft home and currently using a CBR750 and 1 RBS750. 

The power output of the orbi system is pretty good and strong for a single unit, and having too many signal sources in one small area can cause problems and cause devices to pick there signal sources incorrectly, even though being close to a remote signal source. This is call ping ponging. I'ts up to devices to pick and choose where they connect too. 

@Cyv wrote:

For real? There are no specifications about that. Its necessary to use one ethernet-ports on each satelitte. So turning off is no option.

Message 132 of 261
Cyv
Apprentice
Apprentice

@FURRYe38 wrote:

https://www.netgear.com/home/wifi/mesh/find-my-orbi/

2000sq ft and under, just 1 RBR or 1 RBR and 1 RBS depending on placement and distance is recommended. 

I have a 5000sq ft home and currently using a CBR750 and 1 RBS750. 

The power output of the orbi system is pretty good and strong for a single unit, and having too many signal sources in one small area can cause problems and cause devices to pick there signal sources incorrectly, even though being close to a remote signal source. This is call ping ponging. I'ts up to devices to pick and choose where they connect too. 

@Cyv wrote:

Funny, routers signal is not that clear in the living-room because I have a poor performance using the router that far away, while the connection via satellite is strong.

Message 133 of 261
FURRYe38
Guru

I'd reset and setup from scratch and try with just 1 RBS. Try the RBR at 100% strength then maybe cut it to 50% and see if this helps steer devices to the RBS. Be sure to disable the devices wifi radio for 5 seconds then re-enabled it while near the RBS. Some devices won't disconnect on there own from a low signal to a more stronger one. 

Message 134 of 261
Cyv
Apprentice
Apprentice

They connected correctly but returned over the week to the rbr.

Message 135 of 261
FURRYe38
Guru

With just 1 RBS though? 

Message 136 of 261
Cyv
Apprentice
Apprentice

With both. 1 RBS is not a acceptable setup.

What I just found out is, that the overview with connected devices is not true. App and Admin-Gui show the devices with wrong connections. As  I told, there are devices in the living room, which are connected to the rbr. I just unplugged the living-room satellite, while a speedtest was running on the apple tv. It failed and said there is no internet anymore. While the satelitte was plugged of, the overview still showed connected devices. I restarted and refreshed the app, still wrong information. Admin-Gui gives also wrong information about connected devices. I am really tired to "reverse engineer" this sh%t!. I work in IT and have never seen firmwares like that. Like they give a sh%t about their customers.

Message 137 of 261
FURRYe38
Guru

Try with 1 RBS. 

Turn down the power output on the RBR to 25%. 

You may need to contact NG support then: 

https://my.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx

Message 138 of 261
CrimpOn
Guru

The router's information about Attached Devices does not react instantly to a device connection, and it is not aware instantly when a device is no longer connected.  There is a timer which wakes up a process at definite intervals to scan the network and update the internal tables which are used by the display.  The web Attached Devices page uses information from the tables to create its web page. The Orbi 'app' makes SOAP calls to a router process which retrieves information from these tables.  Refreshing the app does not change the internal tables.

I have never spent the time to discover what the refresh interval time is.

It may be possible to force a table update using the Refresh button (upper right) on the Attached Devices display.

Message 139 of 261
stlgasman
Tutor

Can I have done something wrong when for forming a hard reset? I used a pin to hold in the reset button. All the flashing occurred appropriately. I didn’t have to re-enter my SSID or password, therefore it wasn’t a true factory reset. Any thoughts?
Message 140 of 261
FURRYe38
Guru

Pressing the reset button for 15 seconds then release should clear everything out. 

Or using the ERASE button on the RBRs web page under Backup. 

@stlgasman wrote:
Can I have done something wrong when for forming a hard reset? I used a pin to hold in the reset button. All the flashing occurred appropriately. I didn’t have to re-enter my SSID or password, therefore it wasn’t a true factory reset. Any thoughts?

Message 141 of 261
Cyv
Apprentice
Apprentice

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Try with 1 RBS. 

Turn down the power output on the RBR to 25%. 

You may need to contact NG support then: 

https://my.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx

When the devices are connected to rbr I have 20 mbits while the speedtest. If they are connected to the rbs, they have 100mbit. But they always fall back to this poor rbr connection. 

Message 142 of 261
stlgasman
Tutor

I did the erase on the web interface. The reset was successful. The first 24 hours no drops in internet. Today, a couple of drops for a few minutes.
Message 143 of 261
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

@stlgasman wrote:
I did the erase on the web interface. The reset was successful. The first 24 hours no drops in internet. Today, a couple of drops for a few minutes.

Check "Show Statistics" page to see if there's any packet "Collisions".

Message 144 of 261
Jimbo84
Apprentice

Hey all - I've been using this beta firmware on my RBK752 kit for awhile now and it has been pretty good.  I did notice one perculiar event today so I thought I would signup and post my findings, to see if anyone else has noticed this.

Today I noticed that all my 2.4Ghz devices were connected to the Satellite node only.  Even though the main Router was the closer item in this case (Satellite is at the other end of the house).  Worth noting my 2.4Ghz ouput is also set to 50%.  So these devices were barely achieving a signal.  The devices were two wireless printers and a security camera.  What prompted me to the issue is that printing was hit and miss (due to the poor signal).

I powered off the Satellite to get them to move over to the main Router - but they didn't.  The main router had no 2.4Ghz devices attached.  It had other devices, all on 5Ghz.  So with the Satellite powered off,  I thought I'd try and re-run the WiFi setup on the two printers, to my surprise, they could not see any WiFi networks.  Or should I say, my Orbi network.  They did detect my neighbours network, and the free WiFi on a passing bus. 🙂  It was clear the issue wasn't with the devices.

In the end, I decided to reboot the main Router.  After about 2 minutes, the Router came back up and the two printers and security camera connected to it instantly (on 2.4Ghz).  I then powered on the Satellite.

I have no idea why they the main Router became almost invisble on the 2.4Ghz channel to all devices.  As I say, 5Ghz connectivity was fine.  But after the reboot, it seems to have cleared the issue.  One to keep an eye on I guess.

Thanks.

Message 145 of 261
FURRYe38
Guru

Did you power OFF the RBR and RBS for 1 minute or longer then back ON after you update FW? 

MIght try a factory reset and setup from scratch. 

What is the distance between the RBR and RBS? 

@SW_ wrote:

@stlgasman wrote:

Check "Show Statistics" page to see if there's any packet "Collisions".

Message 146 of 261
Jimbo84
Apprentice

@FURRYe38Hi there - yeah followed the helpful steps noted in this thread.  I think they were off for about 5 minutes and the whole process was painless and went fine.  I doubt I would have noticed the weird 2.4Ghz issue,  if I hadn't been trying to print, which is quite rare.  But apart from that little glitch the firmware is good.  Working from home due to the pandemic so getting the time to factory reset is tricky but if I ever get time I might do that.

Message 147 of 261
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok thought I'd ask. Ya, 

See this issue is kind odd for sure. Most everone complains about devices not connecting to the RBS while now yours seems in reverse. You might load up a wifi analyzer if you have a pad handy and see if you see signals from the RBR for 2.4Ghz or not. Hoping a factory reset and power OFF and back ON maybe the key to correcting this behavior. 

This version of FW is supposed to be making things better. Hopefully it's going in right directlion but NG is still working on things. 

@Jimbo84 wrote:

@FURRYe38Hi there - yeah followed the helpful steps noted in this thread.  I think they were off for about 5 minutes and the whole process was painless and went fine.  I doubt I would have noticed the weird 2.4Ghz issue,  if I hadn't been trying to print, which is quite rare.  But apart from that little glitch the firmware is good.  Working from home due to the pandemic so getting the time to factory reset is tricky but if I ever get time I might do that.

Message 148 of 261
frlonet
Aspirant

Hi there, just a quick question for a noob. I am interested in getting this firmware, but why doesn't it show up in my admin system? I scan for new firmware, and it just says no new firmware. Will this be available via that method eventually, or are manual updates the only way?

Message 149 of 261
Foden
Apprentice

Hi,

I think if you scan through this chain you will see it's not an 'official' release, although it is from Netgear. As such your router won;t show it as an option

Message 150 of 261
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7