Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: New - RBR750 / RBS750 Firmware Version v4.6.7.5 Released

The latest V4.6.7.5 has been much much better for me.  It might be beta but I'd personally highly recommend using it.  For me it has made the Orbi usable.  I still wouldn't buy another Orbi after the 6 months of hassle prior but it was a financial investment.  

I have had a couple of times where the internet appears to slow down, about half speed, but I haven't been able to pin it back to the Orbi.  I also had my doorbell go offline multiple times this morning, but its location and the location I need to put router and satellites mean it gets the weakest signal.  It also hadn't dropped for about a month before that, so it could have been a bit of a glitch or some interference outside.  

It does give me a headache with the layout though and its another thing worth playing with.  I bought the 753, not because my house is big, but its awkward with an extension.  In the extension I placed a satellite, then the router in the main location and another satellite upstairs since its 3 stories.  However it happened that the living room was right in the middle of the router and a satellite.  Devices were hopping too easily between the two.  My Orbi RBR50 had an option to slow hopping between nodes (turning off fast switching) but the 7 series does not seem to have an option and I've no idea what parameters it uses.  Ideally I'd still have 3 nodes, but actually 2 seems to be working really well.  I had to move the main router so it could cover extension reliably but since I only use Orbi as an access point this wasn't too much hassle.

What I would highly recommend if troubleshooting wifi issues is get WIFI Explorer (Mac) or equivalent.  It tells me the signal strength of each node regardless of what I'm connected to (and highlights the node I'm on).  Installed on a laptop you can walk to each area of the home, put the laptop down and watch what is happening with strength, which node its using, how close in strength other nodes are etc.  This made it A LOT easier to fix.

Message 226 of 261

Also note another benefit of having WIFI Explorer is it will show you on a graph every time a nodes connection completely drops.  Prior to the V4.6.7.5 firmware all nodes would regularly completely drop.  It was for a second or so, but that's enough to interrupt anything that needs a real time connection like Zoom, other work applications and some peer to peer games as it would cause a reconnect

Message 227 of 261
Foo42
Aspirant

Thank you for clarifying. I will give it a try because some iOS and macOS devices suddenly loose connections especially from one satellite (i got three, the one most gar away from the router is the problematic). I will follow the instructions on updating (factory reset, …).

Best regards
Message 228 of 261
Foo42
Aspirant

Great advice, thank you! My wife and i use macOS and iOS devices and we both experienced the sudden connection drop. First, i was thinking it’s the iPhone XS which seems to have problems with its networking processor. But then we had the issue on different devices as well. Although the Orbi app can display which device is connected to which satellite, the app is painfully slow to use (i regularly wonder why it takes up to 5 minutes to check for updates – this should reply almost instantly). I will give Wifi Explorer a try. Thanks again.

Best regards.
Message 229 of 261
Jimbo84
Apprentice

If it helps I used WiFiman by Ubiquiti to do similar mapping from my phone around the house. I agree it helps tremendously with mapping and visualising the signal, viewing handover, and helped me get my node power levels just right. I can get away with 2 nodes and 2.4Ghz at 25% and 5Ghz at 50%.

It makes you wonder if alot of people with issues just slap these in too close and at full power.
Message 230 of 261
Foo42
Aspirant

Ah, thank you. I didn’t know that app. Will definitely give it a try. Before buying the Orbi i was about to jump on the Unify train, but in the end, that was a bit overkill from an administrative point of view. Still, they do great products. Hope the Orbi will catch up with more stability.

Best regards.
Message 231 of 261
Cyv
Apprentice
Apprentice

Hey, thanks for the advice with wifi explorer. I just found out, that my rbr is not providing any 2,4 ghz network, while it should.

I have 1 rbr und 2 rbs. The 2 rbs provide a 5ghz and a 2,4ghz network each, the rbr is only providing a 5 ghz network. Wtf is going on?

Message 232 of 261
FURRYe38
Guru

Have you factory reset the RBR, powered it OFF for 1 minute then back ON and walk thru the setup wizard? 

Then check for 2.4Ghz with the RBS turned OFF. 

@Cyv wrote:

Hey, thanks for the advice with wifi explorer. I just found out, that my rbr is not providing any 2,4 ghz network, while it should.

I have 1 rbr und 2 rbs. The 2 rbs provide a 5ghz and a 2,4ghz network each, the rbr is only providing a 5 ghz network. Wtf is going on?

Message 233 of 261
Cyv
Apprentice
Apprentice

@FURRYe38 

Dude, I am not gonna reset this stuff every two days. The whole setup was resetted after firmwareupdate. Since then it worked now several weeks.

I powered off the whole setup for some minutes, now there are 6 wifi's back again, 2 for each device. But:

iOS-Devices are still super slow while browsing connected to a satellite, while speedtests deliver more than 100mbit. So there is something wrong with dns via satellite. So it is more stable than before but still buggy as fu%#!

The worst thing is, we can't contact netgear about this sh%#t. Its now Sh1tgear!

Message 234 of 261
Foden
Apprentice

We have to remember that no-one on this forum works for Netgear, nor is being paid by Netegar. Everyone is a regular Joe, frustrated beyond belief, but trying to get their stuff to work like it should - and helping others with what has worked for them

From what I've seen with my series 7 and what I've read there are a number of different issues that do not affect everyone equally. I suspect that may be donw to some homes are iOS, some are Android, some are a mix, blah blah. So not everyone is affaect 100% the same as everyone elese, this just muddy's the waters even further

It's worth trying some of the tweaks that have worked for some users as they may work for you. Just be prepared for the fact that they may not work or the affect may not last

Message 235 of 261
FURRYe38
Guru

I only asked if the system was set after the last FW update. Doesn't mean a reset every two days.

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite 📡

Not seeing this issue on my 7 series...though I only have 1 RBS 750...

Message 236 of 261
Cyv
Apprentice
Apprentice

Every second post is from this guy like "have you Have you done a factory reset" or "please save your configuration". Everyone who found this thread is able to read and don't need the same advices every second post....

This dude is like a bot. 

The real problem is, that normal customers have no chance to contact netgear. Furthermore there is no netgear support in this forum, which shows the poor ambitions to support their customers...

Message 237 of 261
FURRYe38
Guru

Everyone gets asked this as not everyone may know or has responded too or given information of what they have already done or may NOT have done, or we've asked for or suggested. Not everyone has the same issues you do nor same configuration or environment. We can't read minds. 

If you feel this is a FW issue, which it could be, it could be a hardware issue as well. If troubleshooting has been exhausted, then all this is beyond forum help and support. You'll need to contact NG support and ask about additional help and information or RMA options. https://my.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx

Good Luck.

Message 238 of 261
Jimbo84
Apprentice

I had the exact same issue with this beta FW and that was after doing the update following the steps. Powering down etc. I had to do the factory reset in the end (just did it at the weekend) and things have been fine since. It was on my RBS that I saw the issue. Just randomly it would stop offering 2.4Ghz.

I'm kind of glad someone else has experienced it haha. Try the factory reset of the RBR and then the RBS. And fingers crossed you'll be good to go.

Thanks.
Message 239 of 261
Cyv
Apprentice
Apprentice

@Jimbo84 

Do you use the router oder ap-mode?

Do you changed the CTS/RTS-Value? 

I did a factory-reset after fw-upgrade and rebuilt the whole setup. The powercycle today didn't change anything. I am tired of factory-resetting this crap. 

Message 240 of 261
Jimbo84
Apprentice

oh so you already did the factory reset, sorry, ouch that is annoying then. Seems a shame to do it yet again I feel your pain. But it definitely fixed it for me.

I use the Orbi in Router mode.

Yes I had changed the CTS value pre reset. I was running 2100. The reset then put it back to 64 but I have changed that to (disabled) 2347.

Everything seems great and no collisions reported.
Message 241 of 261
Foo42
Aspirant

Betreff: New - RBR750 / RBS750 Firmware Version v4.6.7.5 Released

Hi again,

i got one more question (have not installed the update on my RBK753, yet – will try next weekend):

Is it possible now to run WPA2 and WPA3 in parallel? Afaik, the official firmware had the limitation that it was not possible.

Thanks and best regards.
Message 242 of 261
Cyv
Apprentice
Apprentice

You can't use both. You can choose the options via radio-buttons, so nope.

Message 243 of 261
Foo42
Aspirant

Thanks for replying. I am confused, because the Orbi iOS app uses checkboxes (see attached screenshot – sorry it's in german, at the bottom it just mentions that WPA3 is only supported when using 6 GHz).

Best regards.

Orbi-WPA-Settings.jpeg

Message 244 of 261
Cyv
Apprentice
Apprentice

Tja, das zeigt mal wieder wie inkonsequent und unausgereift der Netgear-Schrott ist. Herzlichen Glückwunsch zu einem überteuerten Stück Müll. Deinen Screenshot sieht man leider nicht.

Well, this shows once again how inconsistent and immature the Netgear junk is. Congratulations on an overpriced piece of garbage. Unfortunately, I can't see your screenshot.

Edit: Now the screenshot is available. It looks like a checkbox, but is still a radiobutton. Just try it :catwink:

Message 245 of 261
Foo42
Aspirant

I can see the screenshot now even if i am logged out. Guess the admins had to approve it first.
Message 246 of 261
CrimpOn
Guru

This is the BIG difference between placing an image "in-line" using the Photos icon in the menu bar vs. "attaching" is using the "Drag and Drop" link in the lower left.  Drag and Drop is available to others immediately.

Message 247 of 261
ant
Prodigy
Prodigy

Did it fix the guest's Internet connection issue that others and I are having as shown in

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6-AX-and-WiFi-6E-AXE/RBR750-Guest-network-intermittent-co... thread?

Message 248 of 261
FURRYe38
Guru

I ran mine with v.5 loaded and Guest Network enabled. I haven't seen any issues. Only had a couple devices connected. I have not seen any problems with GN with mine. 

Message 249 of 261
ant
Prodigy
Prodigy

Oh good. Can't wait for the stable version release then! I assume you had GN issues in the older versions too.

Message 250 of 261
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7