Re: New - RBR750 / RBS750 Firmware Version v4.6.7.5 Released

I'm getting the same error/issue with 465 or 587

Message 27 of 261
CrimpOn
Guru

@Foden wrote:

I'm getting the same error/issue with 465 or 587

Thanks.  I sometimes become fixated on tiny details.  It appears there actually is a solution for 2-factor authenticaion on GMail:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/26736062/sending-email-fails-when-two-factor-authentication-is-o... 

Not relevant to this discussion, but something I had never considered.

This may be put down to my Orbi being the (old) RBR50 and this post is regarding the s**t storm over RBR750 firmware.

The release notes (message #8 above) mention fixing a problem with Orbi logs. (the note makes absolutely no sense to me, but that is also immaterial).  If someone went tramping through the logging code, may be they whacked the ability to send logs via email?

Message 28 of 261
Foden
Apprentice

DDNS entries in basic_debug_log.txt - 100% correct

ddns_cgi_alarm=0
ddns_checked=0
ddns_enable=1
ddns_hostname=
ddns_last_ip={public IP address}
ddns_netgear_best_ip={public IP address}
ddns_netgear_clientkey=
ddns_netgear_clinetid=
ddns_netgear_confirmpasswd=2
ddns_netgear_email={email address}
ddns_netgear_haveaccount=1
ddns_netgear_hostname={host name}
ddns_netgear_hoststatus=2
ddns_netgear_passwd={password}
ddns_netgear_success=-1
ddns_passwd=
ddns_server=4
ddns_update_time=0
ddns_username=
ddns_wildcard=0

email info in basic_debug_log.txt and is also 100% correct

fw_email_addr={email address}
fw_email_alert=0
fw_email_auth=1
fw_email_block=0
fw_email_enable=1
fw_email_from=RBR750@netgear.com {possibly the issue is the sender email address, i.e. not part of my email domain}
fw_email_pid=4621
fw_email_port=587
fw_email_pwd={password}
fw_email_sche_am=pm             This and the next 4 lines are the send log frequency settings
fw_email_sche_day=0
fw_email_sche_hour=6
fw_email_sche_mode=2
fw_email_send_all=0
fw_email_smtp={outbound email server}
fw_email_to=
fw_email_user={email address}

Message 29 of 261
Foden
Apprentice

Thanks.  I sometimes become fixated on tiny details. I'd noticed Smiley LOL

Think the outging server doesn't like the from email address being outside of it's domain - punts it as its seen as being invalid, bogus etc treated like it was an open relay so gets rejected instamtly??

Anyways, too tired after all this mesisng around today, tomorrow is another challenge only 1 sleep away.....

Message 30 of 261
CrimpOn
Guru

Well, this is just crazy.  My basic_debug_log.txt does not have any entries like those for fw_email or ddns.

One wonders what that RBR750@netgear.com is all about.  It certainly is not the email ID used to log into the smtp server.

Message 31 of 261
d700
Apprentice

Is this an official release or beta?

if official, will it come via auto install at some point?

to get get the full benefit, should I do a factory reset first, then upgrade, then setup new?

Message 32 of 261
CarstenNL
Aspirant

Use generate app password and use it on the router email verification..

smtp.gmail.com

https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/185833?hl=en
Message 33 of 261
Foden
Apprentice

That is weird, this is all I set on the debug page - then hit Start Capture

(image keeps disappearing, if it's not present the only setting I select is Start Debug Log Capture when boot up)

Picture4.png

Message 34 of 261
Foden
Apprentice

See OP post at start of this chat

Message 35 of 261
Foden
Apprentice

I don't actually want to use gmail for my logs, was simply using a second email account to validate sending logs via email doesn't work

Message 36 of 261
TC_in_Montana
Virtuoso

I updated to the 4.6.7.5 (Router and 1 Satellite) with no issues.

After update, unplugged both router and satellite for approximately 5 minutes.   Turned them back on and satellite took a little longer than I remember to connect, but connected and reported GOOD connection.

DDNS registration (to mynetgear.com) was successful.   Saw successful DDNS registration in log and was able to ping it successfully.

I also did a test send of my router log (manual send) and it was successful.   I have a noip.com mail account, and the connection was successful and router log was sent and received successfully.

Still other testing to do, but two of the issues reported by others (DDNS and Log Mailing) are not being seen on my system.

Message 37 of 261
Foden
Apprentice

Thought I would try downgrading to v3.x to see if that resolved my email log and DDNS issues. It didn't but I did find that the current firmware has introduced more blocks to download to pre v4.x.

Even when you enable the hidden Yes option in the manual download the router will then say “Firmware unavailable” and page redirects  after a few secionds to Online Update. Not sure how to get past that on current firmware, but I dropped back to v4.6.5.14 and was then able to downgrade to v3.2.16.6, even tried v3.2.10.10. You MUST be able to block the automatic firmware upgrade, or the router will almost instantly upgrade itself (yes, I forgot the first time I did this) to v4.6.5.14 NOT v4.6.7.5

My issues remained but I was able to enable remote access before upgrading back to current v4.6.7.5

So, I deleted the hostname via noip.com, used the same credentials in the router I have used all along and it then happily created the hostname on noip.com and registered it - very odd - so all is now good with DDNS

Will now concentrate on the emailing log issue

Message 38 of 261
FURRYe38
Guru

I believe this is a official beta. Don't know if this will get to the download site or auto update.

I asked NG since users were getting some newer stuff from Official NG support, if we could get something for the 7 and 8 series. Since problems have been plaguing Orbi AX ever since v4 FW first appeared last year and taking a long time to get something good, I pushed to get something from them since those users that phoned NG support reporting getting better results with what they go from NG support. SOOOOO. NG gave me this to post for everyone. Were hoping to see better results and from what I'm seeing, there seems to be better results. 

So, load it up and let us know. Or wait till something gets fully released. Don't ask me that. I have zero information. 

I recommend powering OFF The RBS and RBR for 1 minute or longer then power ON the RBR first and let it come to ready, then power ON the RBS one at a time. See how the system works for you. If you noticed problems then do a full on reset and setup from scratch.

@d700 wrote:

Is this an official release or beta?

if official, will it come via auto install at some point?

to get get the full benefit, should I do a factory reset first, then upgrade, then setup new?

Message 39 of 261
Mr410
Star

Well...I didn't do a factory reset, I think unless you have issues, you can skip this piece. I upgraded the satellite, installed the firmware on the router, unplug the satellite. Rebooted the router. plugged the satellite back in, solid performance since the upgrade. 

Message 40 of 261
Mr410
Star

@Yashur21 wrote:

@Mr410 wrote:

Well...I didn't do a factory reset, I think unless you have issues, you can skip this piece. I upgraded the satellite, installed the firmware on the router, unplug the satellite. Router rebooted. Plugged the satellite back in, solid everything since the upgrade. 

Nice work

how long up?

29 hours

Message 41 of 261
Foden
Apprentice

Without doing a factory reset everything works perfectly fine and the router would appear to be as solid as a rock. Until, I start a Whatsapp voice call and then it will drop between almost instantly to 5-6 mins. If I did'nt use Whatsapp, Fongo voip type apps I would think it was 100%, but it's not for me at least. Once I do a factory reset and rebuild it's OK
Message 42 of 261
Cyv
Apprentice
Apprentice

Both of my satellites are shown as "wired", while there is no ethernet cable. Lol, what kind of bullsh1t is this firmware? Connection type is switching between 5G and "wired" while all wifi-devices are loosing their connection. Im so tired of this poor software.

Message 43 of 261
Cyv
Apprentice
Apprentice

Don't upgrade, I wasted several hours with downgrading. This firmware does not allow downgrading to V3 anymore. You need to downgrade to 4.6.5.14 first and now you can downgrade to V3. I am just going back...

Message 44 of 261
Foden
Apprentice

Yeah, I went back to see if I could keep the remote access option and when trying to go back top v3.x the router says "Firmware unavailable". So you have to downgrade to 4.6.5.14 first as you mention.

Did you follow the OP's post to the letter AND factory reset, as it was the reset that seemed fixed things for me. I rebuilt my setup from scratch too

Message 45 of 261
Foden
Apprentice

Well, very very odd

I created a new gmail account without @FA on turned on non-google apps, or whatever it's called. Then I was able to email logs without issue. So issue releates to my ISP, redid my main email account and it still failsed using port 465 or 587. BUT, it's quite happy to use port 25, even though that one is supposdedly blocked by my ISP?? Makes no sense to me at all, but whatever...

So, for me, currenlty, all seems good will see how it holds up when i do some more whatsapp, voip, tests

I would like the option of enabling remote access to the router, although I can get around that by enabling VPN I guess

Message 46 of 261
Foden
Apprentice

I'm sure COVID and the "Supply Chain Problems" will at some stage be used as an answer to your question. In reality, poor QA, cutting corners and greed, would be closer to the truth. State of the world we all live in sadly

Message 47 of 261
FURRYe38
Guru

Did you power OFF the RBR and RBS after applying the FW? Factory reset and setup from scratch? 

@Cyv wrote:

Both of my satellites are shown as "wired", while there is no ethernet cable. Lol, what kind of bullsh1t is this firmware? Connection type is switching between 5G and "wired" while all wifi-devices are loosing their connection. Im so tired of this poor software.

Message 48 of 261
FURRYe38
Guru

Whats "@FA"?

Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System

@Foden wrote:

Well, very very odd

I created a new gmail account without @FA on turned on non-google apps, or whatever it's called. Then I was able to email logs without issue. So issue releates to my ISP, redid my main email account and it still failsed using port 465 or 587. BUT, it's quite happy to use port 25, even though that one is supposdedly blocked by my ISP?? Makes no sense to me at all, but whatever...

So, for me, currenlty, all seems good will see how it holds up when i do some more whatsapp, voip, tests

I would like the option of enabling remote access to the router, although I can get around that by enabling VPN I guess

Message 49 of 261
TC_in_Montana
Virtuoso

V4.x of the firmware introduced Smart Parental Controls (SPC) if I am not mistaken. It could have been more, but SPC was the biggest change.

I would think that would be a pretty big hunk of code to integrate into something and my guess would be that something is causing corruption elsewhere.

That's why it seems to resolve when users revert back to 3.x firmware.

Totally my OPINION and GUESS on my part.
Message 50 of 261
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7