Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: New - RBR850 / RBS850 Firmware Version 4.6.14.3 Released

George63
Tutor

@CrimpOn "Do I understand correctly that firmware v4.6.9.11 on the Orbi 850 allows customers to reach the web interface from the internet? (i.e. using the public IP address or a Dynamic DNS name)"

100% correct! The web interface can be accessed from internet on firmware v4.6.9.11 without any issues. You can also change the port for extra security for example: https://dnsRBR850.com:46211

Message 76 of 104
CrimpOn
Guru

Thanks for the information.  All this time I have been (a) annoyed that Remote Management was "gone", but (b) comforted that "At least we're all in this together."  The capability has been gone from the Original Orbi for so long that I have lost track of which firmware version last included it.

Message 77 of 104
Flupke
Guide

If you setup OpenVPN on your router, there is no difficulty to still access the console (and the full set of options not available through the app such as port forwarding) after connecting in VPN to your LAN.

Message 78 of 104
FURRYe38
Guru

v.11 may have been the last version that had it supported. Even though the article is two years old, may have been a slow roll out or change across multiple products over time as this effects both Orbi and Nighthawk product lines that have lots of different models to cover. 

I wouldn't look for this to be in any future FW versions as again, this was removed by NG for security reasons. Just like Telnet was. This isn't new to the Orbi domain. 

Message 79 of 104
jdk1120
Apprentice

I recently updated to this and started getting the dreaded lag spikes (e.g., intermittent 2-second freezes during Zoom calls every 5-10 minutes) that came with a disastrous software update from Netgear in 2021.

I am hoping that this is a one-off issue rather than a systematic one. Has anyone else experienced this issue?  I hope not.  

I rebooted my router and problem persists. Any settings I should tinker with?

Message 80 of 104
FURRYe38
Guru

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? A complete pull of the power adapters for a period of time after the factory reset then walk thru the setup wizard and setup from scratch. Recommend setting the default DHCP IP address pool range to the following after applying and a factory reset: 192.168.#.100 to 192.168.#.200.
I would power OFF the ISP modem for 1 minute. Factory reset the Orbi router and power it off. Power ON the ISP modem and let it sync. Then power ON the Orbi router and walk thru the setup wizard again using a wired PC and a web browser.
Press the back reset button for 15 seconds then release. 
https://kb.netgear.com/31486/How-do-I-reset-my-Orbi-system-to-factory-default-settings or https://kb.netgear.com/000062081/How-do-I-erase-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System

Also set SIP ALG to enable under WAN Setup on the RBRs web page. 

@jdk1120 wrote:

I recently updated to this and started getting the dreaded lag spikes (e.g., intermittent 2-second freezes during Zoom calls every 5-10 minutes) that came with a disastrous software update from Netgear in 2021.

I am hoping that this is a one-off issue rather than a systematic one. Has anyone else experienced this issue?  I hope not.  

I rebooted my router and problem persists. Any settings I should tinker with?

Message 81 of 104
cdawson
Guide

I’ve been experiencing the same thing.  Also, every 7 to 10 days the router goes offline, and I have to unplug and restart it.  Its happened consistently since I upgraded the firmware in early January.

I’m going to try a full factory reset it in the near future to see if it addresses the problem, just start occurring after upgrading to 4.6.14.3. 

Message 82 of 104
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6 is recommended. 

@cdawson wrote:

I’ve been experiencing the same thing.  Also, every 7 to 10 days the router goes offline, and I have to unplug and restart it.  Its happened consistently since I upgraded the firmware in early January.

I’m going to try a full factory reset it in the near future to see if it addresses the problem, just start occurring after upgrading to 4.6.14.3. 

Message 83 of 104
vn3107
Aspirant

I have a problem where my RBR850 loses it's connection to my Nokia ONT, from Metronet. When this happens, the lights on the RBR850 turn magenta.

If I unplug the ethernet cable from the ONT to the RBR850, then plug it back in, the internet connection to the ONT starts working again. This happens about every 48 hours or so.

I have the latest firmware installed as of 3/25/2023, performed factory reset, etc. but the connection to ONT still goes out every couple days.

I'm using 3 RBS850's all hardwired to the router through a D-Link network switch. All of the sattelites show a good, wired backhaul connection. 

Can anyone offer suggestions?

Message 84 of 104
FURRYe38
Guru

What CAT# lan cable are you using between the RBR and ONT? CAT6A STP is recommended. 

Sounds like there is a ONT service issue at the ONT and when it stops working right, and gets going again, it's not correctly handshaking with the RBR to get service re-established as you see when you disconnect the ethernet cable from the WAN Port then back in, it starts working. Something to contact the ISP about and let them know the ONT service is stopping every so often. 

@vn3107 wrote:

I have a problem where my RBR850 loses it's connection to my Nokia ONT, from Metronet. When this happens, the lights on the RBR850 turn magenta.

If I unplug the ethernet cable from the ONT to the RBR850, then plug it back in, the internet connection to the ONT starts working again. This happens about every 48 hours or so.

I have the latest firmware installed as of 3/25/2023, performed factory reset, etc. but the connection to ONT still goes out every couple days.

I'm using 3 RBS850's all hardwired to the router through a D-Link network switch. All of the sattelites show a good, wired backhaul connection. 

Can anyone offer suggestions?

Message 85 of 104
vn3107
Aspirant

I'm currently using the ethernet cable that came from an eero, PRO6 E.

It doesn't say anything on the jacket.

I have a cat 7 cable that I will try tonight after work.

I have contacted Metronet several times and they tell me that everything looks good on their end???

Metronet provided me me an eero, PRO 6 E to try or troubleshooting purposes, but I have a bunch of money invested in my Orbi system, so, I want to use it. It's just so frustrating that it will work for a day, two or three before it loses connections so it's hard to troubleshoot.

Message 86 of 104
FURRYe38
Guru

Try some CAT6A STP cabling, not UTP cabling. 

Message 87 of 104
vn3107
Aspirant

The internet connection went out again about 12 hours after switching the cable.

I don't think the cable is the problem. 

Last night when the internet connection dropped, I left everything plugged in and powered on and used the browser interface to log into the router admin page, I then clicked the advanced tab/connection status/renew and then the internet started working again right away.  Any thoughts? Do you know what is causing this? Is there something in the firmware causing the router, or from my ISP, to be unable to automatically get a new lease?

Message 88 of 104
FURRYe38
Guru

Sounds like there is a ONT service issue at the ONT and when it stops working right, and gets going again, it's not correctly handshaking with the RBR to get service re-established as you see when you disconnect the ethernet cable from the WAN Port then back in, it starts working. Something to contact the ISP about and let them know the ONT service is stopping every so often. 

How was the FW updated on the Orbi system? Using Orbi App or thru the RBR and loading FW files manually using a wired PC and web browser? 

You might try the EERO system online for a few days to see if the EERO sees this same problem or not. Could be telling. 

Message 89 of 104
JoshDi
Apprentice

Im having an issue with this firmware and my RBR850  and two RBS850s. I have 4 ethernet devices connected to one of the RBS850 sats and none of these wired devices show in the attached devices page on the RBR850 or directly when logging into the IP of the RBS850. Only the wireless devices show up. 

Is this a known issue? any work arounds for this? 

I have reset the sat and resynced it with the router. Same issue. 

Message 90 of 104
FURRYe38
Guru

User would be advised to make contact with NG support and ask for additional help and information regarding this. 

Thank you. 

Message 91 of 104
Lewes1973
Aspirant

I have the issue, that the router does not show more, than 44 devices in the device list. I can see both wired and wireless ones, but since I reached 44, no more new is visible. Any advise to solve this?

Message 92 of 104
FURRYe38
Guru

No much to go on. 

Where are you looking at the device list? WEB UI or Orbi app? 

How many devices do you actually have all connected and online? 

Be sure that mobile phones and pad don't have MAC ADDRESS Randomizers enabled while at home:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-App/NETGEAR-Mobile-Applications-and-Apple-Devices-FAQ/td-p/222...

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? A complete pull of the power adapters for a period of time after the factory reset then walk thru the setup wizard and setup from scratch with a wired PC and web browser. Recommend setting the default DHCP IP address pool range to the following after applying and a factory reset: 192.168.#.100 to 192.168.#.200.
https://kb.netgear.com/24089/How-do-I-specify-the-pool-of-IP-addresses-assigned-by-my-Nighthawk-rout...

@Lewes1973 wrote:

I have the issue, that the router does not show more, than 44 devices in the device list. I can see both wired and wireless ones, but since I reached 44, no more new is visible. Any advise to solve this?

Message 93 of 104
Lewes1973
Aspirant

Where are you looking at the device list? WEB UI or Orbi app? -> Both the WEB UI and the Orbi app shows the same number of devices (44)

How many devices do you actually have all connected and online? -> Around 50

Be sure that mobile phones and pad don't have MAC ADDRESS Randomizers enabled while at home -> This is surely enabled, but all Apple devices are visible, the ones missing are not Apple ones.

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? -> No, I did not do. Sorry to be pessimistic, but is this really a solution for such an expensive device? It was a pain setting up the device originally, I simply don't want to repeat it.

Message 94 of 104
FURRYe38
Guru

@Lewes1973 wrote:

Where are you looking at the device list? WEB UI or Orbi app? -> Both the WEB UI and the Orbi app shows the same number of devices (44)

How many devices do you actually have all connected and online? -> Around 50

Be sure that mobile phones and pad don't have MAC ADDRESS Randomizers enabled while at home -> This is surely enabled, but all Apple devices are visible, the ones missing are not Apple ones.

What are these devices that are not appearing? Brand and model #

What happens if you turn off ALL other devices accept these ones that are missing, do they appear then?

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? -> No, I did not do. Sorry to be pessimistic, but is this really a solution for such an expensive device? It was a pain setting up the device originally, I simply don't want to repeat it.

Will be a last resort if we can get these devices to appear. There maybe some odd issue or bad state where a reset can clear up or resolve issues like this. Will need to be tried.

One thing to have on hand is a backup configuration saved to file. Saves time if a reset is needed in cases like this.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System

Message 95 of 104
spewak
Luminary

Furry,

As you have stated, I changed my DHCP pool to start at .100 - .200. My router is still located at the 192.168.1.1 address. Should I change it into the same pool, fixed of course, as the other dhcp addresses?

Message 96 of 104
FURRYe38
Guru

No, the .1.1 is the address of the RBR and that needs to have this address. 

@spewak wrote:

Furry,

As you have stated, I changed my DHCP pool to start at .100 - .200. My router is still located at the 192.168.1.1 address. Should I change it into the same pool, fixed of course, as the other dhcp addresses?

Message 97 of 104
FURRYe38
Guru

Have you submitted the request for the invited beta FW opportunity? 

@kotfu wrote:

Unfortunately the 90 day period of complimentary technical support for my devices expired many months ago. I have no interest in paying for a support contract in order to open a support ticket for this issue.

Will continue to monitor future firmware releases to see if this gets resolved.

Message 98 of 104
pemell
Star

I know it's good to "don't fix what ain't broken", but no security vulnerabilities to patch or room for improvements for almost 9 months is surprising. Did our router reach EOL?

Message 99 of 104
FURRYe38
Guru

No. New stuff IS being worked on. 

Message 100 of 104
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7