Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: New RBR850 / RBS850 Firmware Version 4.6.3.16 Released

FURRYe38
Guru

Do you have Anywhere access controls enabled in the Orbi app? 

Web Services Management is for setting HTTPS on the LAN side instead of HTTP when you access the routers web page while at home. Doesn't effect WAN side. 

Anywhere Access enabled remote access for using Orbi app from remote locations outside of the home. 

@izme wrote:

I installed V4.6.6.11_2.1.4T1 and did a port scan, to find that my ports 80, 443 and 53 are open.

Further checking the router, at the page "Web Services Management", it appears the checkbox for disabling this service is missing, so the router is accessible from outside!

How do we know this version can be trusted?

Message 251 of 317
FURRYe38
Guru

Did you factory reset the RBR and RBS and setup from scratch after loading v11? 

Mines been online for 21 hours so far:

Basic Information
Firmware Version: V4.6.6.11_2.1.4T1

dumaos: v3.0.386

seal: v2.1.5.18-0

seal_services: v2.1.5.7-0

armor-bd: v2.2.100.3

spc-circle: v3.25.0.2

CPU Load: 11.86%

Memory Usage(Used/Total): 314 MB/874 MB

System Uptime: 0 days 21:19:38

No issues as of yet.

@Lele855 wrote:
Update: installed new firmare manually V4.6.6.11_2.1.4T1 for RBR and RBS but since this morning a system freeze appears 3 times.. guys it’s a mess!! Please netgear resolve the issue because this peace of plastic costs a lot of money!!
Message 252 of 317
FURRYe38
Guru

v4.6.5.14 was posted by this user:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-RBK852-4-6-3-16-broken-Solved/m-p/2174967/highlight/true#...

Mine ran a solid 12 days with zero issues on v4.6.5.14 before updateing to v4.6.6.11 yesterday:

RBR850v4.6.5.14_12DaysUpTime.png

I'm on 21 hours now with v4.6.6.11 loaded since yesterday:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6-AX-and-WiFi-6E-AXE/RBK-8-Series-Only-Unofficial-v4-6-6-...

@Zultan wrote:

So which is the newer and more importantly the most stable version of new RBR firmware?

V4.6.6.11_2.1.4T1 would appear to be by the numbering schema?

But I see posts that elude to the fact that V4.6.5.14_2.0.54T4 for the RBR only is the latest version.

Thanks - Just want to be sure before I go through the process of manually upgrading.

Thanks in advance

@Zultan
Message 253 of 317
GoldenRetroGame
Apprentice

I've been on 4.6.6.11 for about 24 hours and it's been much more stable so far. It has brought one new issue with it, where I can't enable wi-fi calling on mobile phones (both iOS and Android) without having them constantly dropping off wi-fi. The phones don't seem to have any issue staying connected when this feature is disabled.

Wi-fi calling worked fine on the Orbi with 3.2.18.233, as well as my Asus AiMesh configuration.

Message 254 of 317
izme
Star

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Web Services Management is for setting HTTPS on the LAN side instead of HTTP when you access the routers web page while at home. Doesn't effect WAN side. 

Anywhere Access enabled remote access for using Orbi app from remote locations outside of the home. 

@izme wrote:

I installed V4.6.6.11_2.1.4T1 and did a port scan, to find that my ports 80, 443 and 53 are open.

Further checking the router, at the page "Web Services Management", it appears the checkbox for disabling this service is missing, so the router is accessible from outside!

Anywhere Access (in the app) is off.

Message 255 of 317
FURRYe38
Guru

Please make a new post and lets see if we can narrow this down. 

There maybe some devices you have online that are opening these ports. 

@izme wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

@izme wrote:

Message 256 of 317
izme
Star

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Please make a new post and lets see if we can narrow this down. 

There maybe some devices you have online that are opening these ports. 

@izme wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

@izme wrote:

Hmm, strange. or probably not. I tried first from my own network and thought because it is an external account, it would go via the external route, but now that I try it via 4G I cannot access it anymore. 

So, false alarm, sorry for that 🙂

Thank for your help, and ... happy new year!

Message 257 of 317
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad that was all then.

👍

@izme wrote:

Hmm, strange. or probably not. I tried first from my own network and thought because it is an external account, it would go via the external route, but now that I try it via 4G I cannot access it anymore. 

So, false alarm, sorry for that 🙂

Thank for your help, and ... happy new year!

Message 258 of 317
Lele855
Guide

Dears,
I installed new suggested firmware to RBR and RBS by doing a complete reset (clean reset) to both devices. After the update I switch off the devices for 1-2 minutes and then I power on and connect all the lan cables. After 1-2 days I faced some freezing episodes (3-4 during the day) but the mail problem is that starting from yesterday evening the satellite RBS is not well recognized by the orbi app. The device is power on and without alert led, the other connected devices are working… I can see it in the orbi network map signed with a purple circle, the details page show that is offline and the “firmare” is not that I updated but is showed only a “-“.
How can I resolve this?
Message 259 of 317
Lele855
Guide

Sorry: obviously I tried to sync via app, via PC, reset only the satellite and so on.. please help!
Message 260 of 317
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

After the RBR was reset and setup from scratch, did you try to sync 1 RBS while in same room with the RBR using the sync buttons on the back of the RBS and RBR? 

Try using channel 1 and 40 on the RBR. 

@Lele855 wrote:
Dears,
I installed new suggested firmware to RBR and RBS by doing a complete reset (clean reset) to both devices. After the update I switch off the devices for 1-2 minutes and then I power on and connect all the lan cables. After 1-2 days I faced some freezing episodes (3-4 during the day) but the mail problem is that starting from yesterday evening the satellite RBS is not well recognized by the orbi app. The device is power on and without alert led, the other connected devices are working… I can see it in the orbi network map signed with a purple circle, the details page show that is offline and the “firmare” is not that I updated but is showed only a “-“.
How can I resolve this?

Message 261 of 317
Lele855
Guide

Please see the screenshot
Message 262 of 317
FURRYe38
Guru

Please give feedback to the questions presented. Thank you. 

Message 263 of 317
Lele855
Guide

@FURRYe38
Sorry I posted the screenshot without seeing your super quickly reply.
I’m not at home but for the moment I can give you this info:
Firmware: V4.6.6.11_2.1.4T1 (RBR and RBs)
Modem: Vodafone power station provided by Isp (Vodafone) Modem: ADSL / ADSL2 / VDSL2 / 35b / G.fast / G.inp
CPU: Broadcom BCM63136, ARM Cortex A9 Dual Core 1GHz

What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 100mq , distance about 5mt but the connection is wired not wireless

After the RBR was reset and setup from scratch, did you try to sync 1 RBS while in same room with the RBR using the sync buttons on the back of the RBS and RBR? No because the connection is wired,.

Please note that the device that are connected by wire to the RBR Are working and are online(Philips hue bridge and raspberry)

Try using channel 1 and 40 on the RBR. Ok but this help nevertheless the connection RBR-RBs is wired?

Thanks

Message 264 of 317
FURRYe38
Guru

@Lele855 wrote:
@FURRYe38
Sorry I posted the screenshot without seeing your super quickly reply.
I’m not at home but for the moment I can give you this info:
Firmware: V4.6.6.11_2.1.4T1 (RBR and RBs)
Modem: Vodafone power station provided by Isp (Vodafone) Modem: ADSL / ADSL2 / VDSL2 / 35b / G.fast / G.inp
CPU: Broadcom BCM63136, ARM Cortex A9 Dual Core 1GHz
There a built in router by chance on this modem? 

What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 100mq , distance about 5mt but the connection is wired not wireless
Is mt meters? 

After the RBR was reset and setup from scratch, did you try to sync 1 RBS while in same room with the RBR using the sync buttons on the back of the RBS and RBR? No because the connection is wired,.
Try first syncing the RBS wrielessly in same room as the RBR till there fully synced. 
Are the RBS ethernet connected directly to the back of the RBR or is there a LAN switch or LAN Patch panel inbetween the RBR and RBS? 

Please note that the device that are connected by wire to the RBR Are working and are online(Philips hue bridge and raspberry)

Try using channel 1 and 40 on the RBR. Ok but this help nevertheless the connection RBR-RBs is wired? Yes

Message 265 of 317
Lele855
Guide

@FURRYe38

There a built in router by chance on this modem? Yes but here is connected only the RBR by the wan port , static address. The Wi-Fi of modem is disabled

Is mt meters? Yep . House is 100 square meters and the distance RBR-RBs is 5 meters +/-

Try first syncing the RBS wrielessly in same room as the RBR till there fully synced. OK I WILL DO
Are the RBS ethernet connected directly to the back of the RBR or is there a LAN switch or LAN Patch panel inbetween the RBR and RBS? NO, direct from back RBR to back RBs.

It is so strange because the orbi app and router page show me that the he satellite is down but if I launch the sync the circle led is blue, in fact the wired devices works. I don’t know if some Wi-Fi client are connected to the satellite (because the app don’t show me anything).

Thanks a lot

Message 266 of 317
FURRYe38
Guru

@Lele855 wrote:

There a built in router by chance on this modem? Yes but here is connected only the RBR by the wan port , static address. The Wi-Fi of modem is disabled
This would be a double NAT (two router) condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

I would try option #2...

Is mt meters? Yep . House is 100 square meters and the distance RBR-RBs is 5 meters +/-
I would try them out a bit farther, 6 to 8 meters maybe. 

Try first syncing the RBS wrielessly in same room as the RBR till there fully synced. OK I WILL DO
Are the RBS ethernet connected directly to the back of the RBR or is there a LAN switch or LAN Patch panel inbetween the RBR and RBS? NO, direct from back RBR to back RBs.
What LAN cable are you using? CAT6 is recommended.

It is so strange because the orbi app and router page show me that the he satellite is down but if I launch the sync the circle led is blue, in fact the wired devices works. I don’t know if some Wi-Fi client are connected to the satellite (because the app don’t show me anything).

Message 267 of 317
Lele855
Guide

@FURRYe38

2.” If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem…” this option was alright in place and the router is in a different sub lan (192.168.x/192.168.y)

I would try them out a bit farther, 6 to 8 meters maybe - this is not possible

What LAN cable are you using? CAT6 is recommended. The cable is in the wall I don’t remember, but should be cat 6

Please note that the router and satellite works perfectly before this FW problems and the recent issues don’t should be related to the environment.
Thanks
Message 268 of 317
FURRYe38
Guru

@Lele855 wrote:

2.” If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem…” this option was alright in place and the router is in a different sub lan (192.168.x/192.168.y)
I would use the DMZ for the RBR if your modem has a enabled router. 

I would try them out a bit farther, 6 to 8 meters maybe - this is not possible
Having your RBS too close to the RBR will cause problems. If you can move the RBS out farther then I recommend turning OFF the nearest RBS and not use it.
What LAN cable are you using? CAT6 is recommended. The cable is in the wall I don’t remember, but should be cat 6
Can you try the RBS directly connected to the RBR with out being connected to any in wall ethernet connections? 

Please note that the router and satellite works perfectly before this FW problems and the recent issues don’t should be related to the environment.
Understand.
You can review and concider trying this:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-RBK852-4-6-3-16-broken-Solved/m-p/2174967/highlight/true#...

My system worked well for 12 days. FW is only for the RBR. Two RBS were ethernet connected using LAN switches in between.

I'm now on:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6-AX-and-WiFi-6E-AXE/RBK-8-Series-Only-Unofficial-v4-6-6-...

RBS are now wireless after being on ethernet for a few days. FW is for both RBS and RBR. IF you choose to try this, update the RBS first, then RBR lastly.

Message 269 of 317
xory72
Star

@FURRYe38 

@Yashur21 

@Lele855 

@izme 

Quick update for you guys. 

I installed V4.6.6.11_2.1.4.T.1 on botgh the RBR and RBS last week Wednesday (Dec 29th) around 9:30 pm)   It has been rock solid with not a single drop out or internet disconnect   Going on 5 days now.  (Crossing fingers)   I will wait another 5 days (or until it fails to give you another update)

Message 270 of 317
TC_in_Montana
Virtuoso

@Yashur21 wrote:

I'm still trying to understand why the super user will not admit the firmware is faulty?  Mines been down for weeks 

@Yashur21   I believe the super user has stated on numerous occasions that the firmware is faulty - but he doesn't control the firmware.  He doesn't work for Netgear - he's a user, just like the rest of us here (other than those specifically noted as being moderators or Netgear employees.

However he also continues to provide assistance to others to help them at least try and get their devices working at some level while the firmware is being worked on, tested by people in the field, and hopefully issues resolved and rolled out to the rest of the users.  He is at least TRYING to provide assistance to others - much more than you are trying to do with your constant bashing and snide comments to him/about him.   

How about giving it a rest?    I am sure many of us would appreciate it greatly.

Message 271 of 317
FURRYe38
Guru

Good to hear. Mines been solid as well since loading v11. RBS are wirelessly connected.

Please make any new posts over in the v4.6.6.11 forum thread:

Glad you got it working. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy. 📡

@xory72 wrote:

@Lele855 

@izme 

I installed V4.6.6.11_2.1.4.T.1 on botgh the RBR and RBS last week Wednesday (Dec 29th) around 9:30 pm)   It has been rock solid with not a single drop out or internet disconnect   Going on 5 days now.  (Crossing fingers)   I will wait another 5 days (or until it fails to give you another update)

Message 272 of 317
BoilerPlate
Apprentice

@TC_in_Montana 

He seems to be coming a forum troll and probably should avoid responding to him. His false and invalid conclusions and posts are of no help. It's wasting time. Someone is either not happy with there life or just not happy at all and has a need to dump on others that are trying to help out. They don't care about helping others or letting others get the help they need. Seems all to familiar from a historical user from  last year. If they don't change there ways, they will be dealt with. 

Yes they need to give it a rest, stop posting, and get a life. Theres more to life than herhassing others. 

@TC_in_Montana wrote:

I believe the super user has stated on numerous occasions that the firmware is faulty - but he doesn't control the firmware.  He doesn't work for Netgear - he's a user, just like the rest of us here (other than those specifically noted as being moderators or Netgear employees. 

However he also continues to provide assistance to others to help them at least try and get their devices working at some level while the firmware is being worked on, tested by people in the field, and hopefully issues resolved and rolled out to the rest of the users.  He is at least TRYING to provide assistance to others - much more than you are trying to do with your constant bashing and snide comments to him/about him.   

How about giving it a rest?    I am sure many of us would appreciate it greatly.

Message 273 of 317
Rads
Tutor

s4.6.6.11_2.1.4.T.1URRYe38 

@Yashur21 

@Lele855 

@izme 

I was stable for about 7 days on 4.6.6.11_2.1.4.T.1 until yesterday when things went ugly wrong.  Lost all network connectivity (WiFi and wired) in the middle of a video call.  Power down of the NG router didn't help.  Factory rest of both the router and satellite Is the only thing that Worked.  HUGE pita!  I was out of operation for at least an hour.

I have a pretty complicated router setup so a factory reset creates a lot of work.

Message 274 of 317
GoldenRetroGame
Apprentice

I've also started to have trouble with 4.6.6.11, but only on iPhones. All the iPhones in our house dropped off the network and started displaying a privacy warning in the network settings. It said that this wireless network is blocking encrypted DNS traffic. I hooked up an old router and that error went away.

I rebooted  the RBR850 & RBS850, which didn't change anything. I've left the Orbi system up for now and manually configured Google DNS on the iPhones which has allowed them to join the network again. They refuse to join the network when using the router for DNS.

Message 275 of 317
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7