Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: New RBR850 / RBS850 Firmware Version 4.6.3.16 Released

Lele855
Guide

@FURRYe38
Thank you! I should apply these advices shortly on Friday/Saturday maybe and I’ll let you know.
Message 276 of 317
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System

Be sure to post about any v11 experiences here:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6-AX-and-WiFi-6E-AXE/RBK-8-Series-Only-Unofficial-v4-6-6-...

Thanks

@Rads wrote:

I was stable for about 7 days on 4.6.6.11_2.1.4.T.1 until yesterday when things went ugly wrong.  Lost all network connectivity (WiFi and wired) in the middle of a video call.  Power down of the NG router didn't help.  Factory rest of both the router and satellite Is the only thing that Worked.  HUGE pita!  I was out of operation for at least an hour.

I have a pretty complicated router setup so a factory reset creates a lot of work.

Message 277 of 317
FURRYe38
Guru

👍

@Lele855 wrote:
Thank you! I should apply these advices shortly on Friday/Saturday maybe and I’ll let you know.

Message 278 of 317
ChrisBoer
Guide

I still don't have any issues with the Firmware Version V4.6.6.11_2.1.4T1

One  RBS850 satelite is connected wired and one is connected wireless to my RBR850.

My RBR850 is in router mode and uses own setup DNS servers and not the ones provided by my modem / ISP.

I have been stable since I have installed this firmware.

The only thing I want to add it parental control which option I don't see with this firmware.

Anybody who knows how to enable parental control on the RBR850 ?

Message 279 of 317
Garwoofoo
Apprentice

@GoldenRetroGame wrote:

I've also started to have trouble with 4.6.6.11, but only on iPhones. All the iPhones in our house dropped off the network and started displaying a privacy warning in the network settings. It said that this wireless network is blocking encrypted DNS traffic. I hooked up an old router and that error went away.

My iPhone displayed this privacy warning on 4.6.3.16 as well as 4.6.6.11. Forgetting the network then reconnecting makes the warning go away for a while, then it comes back.

However I've not had any problems with my iPhone otherwise, it's not dropped off the network at any point and the privacy warning doesn't seem to affect anything, so I've just ignored it for now.

Message 280 of 317
FURRYe38
Guru

Privacy warning only comes from the phone if the Private Address feature is disabled on the phone. 

@Garwoofoo wrote:

My iPhone displayed this privacy warning on 4.6.3.16 as well as 4.6.6.11. Forgetting the network then reconnecting makes the warning go away for a while, then it comes back. However I've not had any problems with my iPhone otherwise, it's not dropped off the network at any point and the privacy warning doesn't seem to affect anything, so I've just ignored it for now.

Message 281 of 317
FURRYe38
Guru

Something I'd contact NG support about. It may not be fully supported in this version of FW. Again, this version is not official release. 

@ChrisBoer wrote:

I still don't have any issues with the Firmware Version V4.6.6.11_2.1.4T1

One  RBS850 satelite is connected wired and one is connected wireless to my RBR850.

My RBR850 is in router mode and uses own setup DNS servers and not the ones provided by my modem / ISP.

I have been stable since I have installed this firmware.

The only thing I want to add it parental control which option I don't see with this firmware.

Anybody who knows how to enable parental control on the RBR850 ?

Message 282 of 317
Garwoofoo
Apprentice

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Privacy warning only comes from the phone if the Private Address feature is disabled on the phone. 

Nope. I've got Private Wi-Fi Address enabled - and if I disable that, I get an additional warning message.

As I said, it's not a major thing, I'd actually assumed it was a problem with my ISP. It doesn't seem to impede the functionality of the phone or the network in any way.

Message 283 of 317
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok.
I'm not seeing any privacy messages here with my phones. I'm on v11 as well. All working well. 

Please post over in the v11 forum of any additional experiences:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6-AX-and-WiFi-6E-AXE/RBK-8-Series-Only-Unofficial-v4-6-6-...

Hopefully everyone can finally enjoy there system...again. Smiley Wink

@Garwoofoo wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Nope. I've got Private Wi-Fi Address enabled - and if I disable that, I get an additional warning message.

As I said, it's not a major thing, I'd actually assumed it was a problem with my ISP. It doesn't seem to impede the functionality of the phone or the network in any way.

Message 284 of 317
GoldenRetroGame
Apprentice

@FURRYe38 wrote:

That's not true. I have Private Address enabled on all my devices and will get a privacy error. The error is specific to DNS handling on the Orbi. Using a 3rd party DNS server resolves the error.

Message 285 of 317
FURRYe38
Guru

Whos your ISP?

What Brand and model ISP modem are you using?

Please post a screen capture if what you see on the phone when this happens? 

Something i've not seen on mine and I don't use custome DNS. Maybe something handling between the Orbi and your ISP services I would think. Changing to something else means that this could be a ISP DNS issue.

I'll check again on mine and set my phone to Private Address and see. 

Message 286 of 317
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 287 of 317
Lele855
Guide

@FURRYe38 wrote:

@Lele855 wrote:

2.” If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem…” this option was alright in place and the router is in a different sub lan (192.168.x/192.168.y)
I would use the DMZ for the RBR if your modem has a enabled router. yes this option was already on since 2018

I would try them out a bit farther, 6 to 8 meters maybe - this is not possible
Having your RBS too close to the RBR will cause problems. If you can move the RBS out farther then I recommend turning OFF the nearest RBS and not use it. please considera that the distance is 5mt and there is a brick wall between. in addition, this configuration was ok before the last firmware (since 2018) and this means that this lates update changed something
What LAN cable are you using? CAT6 is recommended. The cable is in the wall I don’t remember, but should be cat 6
Can you try the RBS directly connected to the RBR with out being connected to any in wall ethernet connections? 
yes nothing changed. please considera that at the satellite are connected other wired devices and there works also if the satellite results offllne
Please note that the router and satellite works perfectly before this FW problems and the recent issues don’t should be related to the environment.
Understand.
You can review and concider trying this:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-RBK852-4-6-3-16-broken-Solved/m-p/2174967/highlight/true#...

My system worked well for 12 days. FW is only for the RBR. Two RBS were ethernet connected using LAN switches in between.

I'm now on:

RBS are now wireless after being on ethernet for a few days. FW is for both RBS and RBR. IF you choose to try this, update the RBS first, then RBR lastly.

@FURRYe38 

i have installed the 4.6.7.5 and i'm monitoring. i can't update the satellite because i have this problem, are there any method to directly connect to the satellite to update manually the firmware? i also tried with a 30-30-30 reset but nothing changed. i have to suppose that the last firmware caused a KO of my satellite?

Message 288 of 317
FURRYe38
Guru

I recommend that you contact NG support and ask about RMA options for that RBS. If you can't get it updated. 

@Lele855 wrote:

i have installed the 4.6.7.5 and i'm monitoring. i can't update the satellite because i have this problem, are there any method to directly connect to the satellite to update manually the firmware? i also tried with a 30-30-30 reset but nothing changed. i have to suppose that the last firmware caused a KO of my satellite?

Message 289 of 317
Lele855
Guide

@FURRYe38
Ok.. but I can even if my satellite is out of the guarantee?
Message 290 of 317
FURRYe38
Guru

Something to ask NG support about and see...

Message 291 of 317
CrimpOn
Guru

@Lele855 wrote:

I have used TFTP to load firmware on an RBS50 satellite using a laptop connected to one of the LAN ports.  I see no obvious reason why this could not be done with an RBS850 satellite.

https://kb.netgear.com/000059633/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-TFTP-client 

https://kb.netgear.com/000059634/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-Windows-TFTP 

I have used TFTP to load firmware with both Windows and Linux.

I feel compelled to point out that TFTP is not trivial. It is tedious to go through the process of connecting the computer directly and setting the computer with a static IP.  Then, there appears to be a short window of time during the satellite boot up process when it looks for a TFTP connection.  Presss "Put" a microsecond too soon, and the satellite isn't ready for it.  A second too late, and the satellite has quit looking.  Also, the file name field is tricky.  It took me 5- 6 tries one time and there was a lot of swearing going on.

Message 292 of 317
CrimpOn
Guru

@Lele855 wrote:

Ok.. but I can even if my satellite is out of the guarantee?

Out of warranty means, "out of warranty." And this is not just Netgear.  Almost every product I purchase offers an option to purchase an "extended warranty".  (The Orbi certainly did.) That is  a form of insurance.  My position has been that rather than spend money (gone forever) extending the warranty on everything I buy, I will save that money and take the risk that something will break. (Oven, Automobile, TV Set, exercycle, etc. etc.)  When something does break, I am on the hook for it.

I find it super annoying that Netgear feels no responsiblity for breaking something that was workiing fine and has blocked customers from "undoing" their damage.

Message 293 of 317
Lele855
Guide

@CrimpOn
Thank you! I updated the firmware 4.6.7.5 and now it works! I’m monitoring the stability of connection. Thanks again!
Message 294 of 317
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
E

@Lele855 wrote:
Thank you! I updated the firmware 4.6.7.5 and now it works! I’m monitoring the stability of connection. Thanks again!

Message 295 of 317
skeelo
Luminary

Got bit again...

Running V4.6.5.14_2.0.54T4 on my RBR which has worked fine for a few weeks until tonight.  I think I have narrowed down the issue to satellite connectivity - as soon as I unplug the three satellites and reboot the RBR all runs without a hiccup.  I am guessing the wireless satellite is going out of sync (the other two are wired), so I am going to leave that unplugged for now to see what happens.

Rather than compounding the connectivity issues with additional FW updates that are not working I wish Netgear would allow users to roll back firmware and opt out of updates, as is the case with the Nighthawk R7000 at my cabin.  I have had more issues in the last 2-3 months with this system compared to the first 2 years of ownership.  Unbelievable.

I have been a Netgear customer really forever and after this I am fairly certain I will not buy another Netgear product.

Message 296 of 317
FURRYe38
Guru

Give this a go if you want too:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6-AX-and-WiFi-6E-AXE/New-RBR850-RBS850-Firmware-Version-v...

@skeelo wrote:

Got bit again...

Running V4.6.5.14_2.0.54T4 on my RBR which has worked fine for a few weeks until tonight.  I think I have narrowed down the issue to satellite connectivity - as soon as I unplug the three satellites and reboot the RBR all runs without a hiccup.  I am guessing the wireless satellite is going out of sync (the other two are wired), so I am going to leave that unplugged for now to see what happens.

Rather than compounding the connectivity issues with additional FW updates that are not working I wish Netgear would allow users to roll back firmware and opt out of updates, as is the case with the Nighthawk R7000 at my cabin.  I have had more issues in the last 2-3 months with this system compared to the first 2 years of ownership.  Unbelievable.

I have been a Netgear customer really forever and after this I am fairly certain I will not buy another Netgear product.

Message 297 of 317
izme
Star

I have tried a few of the higher numbered firmware versions floating around here, but I am back to  

V4.6.5.14_2.0.54

That version (with 1 sattelite wired, disabled the other one) seems to be most stable, the others give long lasting disconnects

Message 298 of 317
FURRYe38
Guru

Did you power cycle the RBR and RBS after the newer FW was applied or did you try a full on factory reset and setup from scratch? 

How did you perform the FW update? Thru the RBRs web page or thru the RBSs direct web page? 

Mines been working great with v5 loaded:

Screen Shot 2022-01-16 at 10.46.46 AM.png

Message 299 of 317
izme
Star

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Did you power cycle the RBR and RBS after the newer FW was applied or did you try a full on factory reset and setup from scratch? 

> If I remember correct I did a full factory reset before and after the upgrade leaving the RBR and RBS for >2 min off. 

How did you perform the FW update? Thru the RBRs web page or thru the RBSs direct web page? 

> I first did the RBS. I don't think it should matter if I went through RBR or RBS, they both open the same page on RBS, the difference being that the RBR is logged-in and maybe aware of RBS being upgraded. I think I went through the logon via RBR.

The last downgrade didn't work too well for me, I could only access the access point from the (still upgraded) RBS, the RBR was not ok. So I went back to RBR again at v4.7.6.5. Still seeing some minor outages that I think shouldn't be there (looking at an server-app that is constantly online). Wat is a proper way to measure it in your opinion, is there a tool of some sorts or can we check on the RBR?

Message 300 of 317
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7