Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

New RBR850 / RBS850 Firmware Version 4.6.3.16 Released

mvl-sb
Aspirant

Re: New RBR850 / RBS850 Firmware Version 4.6.3.16 Released

I guess that's it. Spent way too much time on the phone. I work from home and I can't do my job with crappy firmware like this. €1150 down the drain, thanks for nothing Netgear. I've tried everything, but even your support people cannot solve this. This has been going on for far too long now and I either have unstable or dreadfully slow Wifi or both. And all issues started with the current firmware version.

That's it, looking for a new vendor. Bye Netgear.

Message 126 of 317
MDMT
Aspirant

issue in GUI after upgrade RBR850 to version 4.6.3.16

After upgrade 4.6.3.16 in the gui via "advanced -> administration -> attached devices:

the attached devices and satellites are no longer visible. Any tips how to fix this, or is it a bug?

rbr850guiissue.png

Message 127 of 317
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: issue in GUI after upgrade RBR850 to version 4.6.3.16

Did you update the RBS first to v16 then the RBR lastly? 

Same thing appears in a different browser? 

You may need to factory reset the system and power the system OFF as well. 
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6-AX-and-WiFi-6E-AXE/New-RBR850-RBS850-Firmware-Version-4...
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6-AX-and-WiFi-6E-AXE/New-RBR850-RBS850-Firmware-Version-4...

@MDMT wrote:

After upgrade 4.6.3.16 in the gui via "advanced -> administration -> attached devices:

the attached devices and satellites are no longer visible. Any tips how to fix this, or is it a bug?

Message 128 of 317
GoldenRetroGame
Apprentice

@mvl-sb wrote:

I guess that's it. Spent way too much time on the phone. I work from home and I can't do my job with crappy firmware like this. €1150 down the drain, thanks for nothing Netgear. I've tried everything, but even your support people cannot solve this. This has been going on for far too long now and I either have unstable or dreadfully slow Wifi or both. And all issues started with the current firmware version.

That's it, looking for a new vendor. Bye Netgear.

I've moved back to Asus and have reliable wifi again.

I honestly can't believe there hasn't been any fix for this absoutely broken firmware yet. Not even a release in the beta forums.

Message 129 of 317
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 130 of 317
skeelo
Luminary

So I was back up for exactly one month before issues surfaced again, and on Thanksgiving no less.  I would much rather be diagnosing and resetting my router and three satellites than spending time with my family /s.

Same issues as before - network is broadcasting, router and satellites are all "online" per the app, in-app speed test runs and looks connected, however, nothing resolves wired or wireless on any device (iPhone, iPad, TV, laptop, etc.) when attempting to connect via RBR or RBS.  I have no issue when plugged directly into my ISP's modem.  I cannot connect to the router through the app when device wifi (iPhone) is enabled, however, when I can connect over a cellular connection.  Amazing.

I have tried rebooting now twice and immediately after reboot I can connect wirelessly or wired for a minute or two then nothing.

Netgear should be embarrassed, this is totally unacceptable.  What was a near flawless system for almost two years, there were app hiccups as an early adopter but no connectivity issues previously, this system has effectively turned into a brick now twice after this software update.

An additional update addressing these issues needs to be deployed immediately, obviously after going through a much more comprehensive QA process than v4.6.3.16 did.

Will be doing a full reset and new system setup and will report back.

@FURRYe38 

Message 131 of 317
skeelo
Luminary

All set, again.  Factory reset was required to get everything squared away.  While I was at it I reverted firmware on RBR and RBS to 4.6.3.9.  Since my router is outside the DMZ of my ISP modem I also blocked http.fw.updates1.netgear.com and updates1.netgear.com to kill the auto update of the software.

Fingers crossed I do not have issues with 4.6.3.9.  I should now have the option to update all firmware as I want to as well.

@FURRYe38 - I tried uploading my backup config file to limit having to rename all 50 or so devices again, however, the device names do not look to have come over in the config file.  Is there a different file I should be using or does the config file not use this info??

Message 132 of 317
FURRYe38
Guru

Sounds like custome names are not being saved in the config file. 

Keep an eye on the FW update. Seen others block those URLs and still get auto FW updated. 

@skeelo wrote:

All set, again.  Factory reset was required to get everything squared away.  While I was at it I reverted firmware on RBR and RBS to 4.6.3.9.  Since my router is outside the DMZ of my ISP modem I also blocked http.fw.updates1.netgear.com and updates1.netgear.com to kill the auto update of the software.

Fingers crossed I do not have issues with 4.6.3.9.  I should now have the option to update all firmware as I want to as well.

@FURRYe38 - I tried uploading my backup config file to limit having to rename all 50 or so devices again, however, the device names do not look to have come over in the config file.  Is there a different file I should be using or does the config file not use this info??

Message 133 of 317
skeelo
Luminary

Ugh... firmware did update overnight.  Any other URLs to block or suggestions?

Message 134 of 317
skeelo
Luminary

Thanks.  I will downgrade again and try to block those additional addresses later and report back.

Message 136 of 317
raven_au
Virtuoso

Well, I've been patient and it's been much longer than it should be for an update.

I can't wait any longer, the frequent disconnects, the satelite crashes, etc. are just too much to continue to endure.

I'm going back to my ASUS mesh!

Message 137 of 317
FURRYe38
Guru

👍

@skeelo wrote:

Thanks.  I will downgrade again and try to block those additional addresses later and report back.

Message 138 of 317
Rads
Tutor

RBK852 owner here.

Ever since the releace of V4.6.3.16_2.0.51 j have been having constant issues.  I have tried all the solutions I can find in the community and to no avail.

Frequent (multiple times daily) all devices lose connection to the WiFi and wired network,  Also, the router appears to be rebooting itself randomly because all my log data is getting reset and the only data in the log reflects a restart and reassiging of IP addresses.

I have been a Orbi user for years and had a RBK52 kit prior to upgrading to the RBK852,  

This is frustrating to no end.  Particularly because even if I do an formware downgrade the system auto updates to the latest buggy firmware. I have Telnet no longer seems to be an option on the debug page (not sure which firmware version removed this) so I can't turn off the auto update function via telnet.

Getting very close to tossing this system and going to another manufacturer of a mesh system.

Message 139 of 317
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What I did to get v4.6.3.16 working on 8 series:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6-AX-and-WiFi-6E-AXE/New-Online-Update-4-6-3-16-RBR850-RB...
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6-AX-and-WiFi-6E-AXE/New-Online-Update-4-6-3-16-RBR850-RB...

@Rads wrote:

RBK852 owner here.

Ever since the releace of V4.6.3.16_2.0.51 j have been having constant issues.  I have tried all the solutions I can find in the community and to no avail.

Frequent (multiple times daily) all devices lose connection to the WiFi and wired network,  Also, the router appears to be rebooting itself randomly because all my log data is getting reset and the only data in the log reflects a restart and reassiging of IP addresses.

I have been a Orbi user for years and had a RBK52 kit prior to upgrading to the RBK852,  

This is frustrating to no end.  Particularly because even if I do an formware downgrade the system auto updates to the latest buggy firmware. I have Telnet no longer seems to be an option on the debug page (not sure which firmware version removed this) so I can't turn off the auto update function via telnet.

Getting very close to tossing this system and going to another manufacturer of a mesh system.

Message 140 of 317
Rads
Tutor

@FURRYe38 wrote:

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What I did to get v4.6.3.16 working on 8 series:

@Rads wrote:

RBK852 owner here.

My ISP is a Shaw, in Canada.  I don't know off the top of my head which cable modem it is.  It is in bridge mode so the NG is the  router.  BUT, very unlikely this has anything to do with the issue because the NG worked fine until the latest firmware and did my RBK50 prior.

I have read most of the links you provided and tried a bunch of the suggested remedies prior to making this post. I have done a factory reset and recreated all by IP reservations, port forwarding, etc. this included a full power down of the NG and Shaw modem.  Nothing has restored the system to being stable or reliable.

Message 141 of 317
spewak
Luminary

I purchased my system (RBK850) and immediately had connectivity issues. Once I thoroughly read these forums and all the attendant issues with the latest firmware, I put my old RBR50 back into play and boxed up the RBK850. I was going to wait until Netgear released a newer firmware, but having seen that this issue has been ongoing for the better part of three months, I sent the unit back for a full refund.

I tried everything here short of placing a firewall in front of my network to block the firmware update. The thought hit me that I spent way too much money to be monkeying around, hence the return for a full refund while I still could.

I went out and purchased the Linksys Velop mesh system. It just works.

The good people on here who help others, Furry to be specific, I appreciate. I might be back once this sad affair has been rectified.

Cheers!

Message 142 of 317
FURRYe38
Guru

👍

Message 143 of 317
Rads
Tutor

I wish I could return mine but I have had the RBK852 too long to return it.

Out of curiosity, which Velop sytem did you get?  I have been looking at them as a replacement.

Message 144 of 317
spewak
Luminary

Rads,

I purchased a Linksys Atlas Pro 6. It was $450 for a three pack. Overall, works really well.

Message 145 of 317
Rads
Tutor

Spewak,

No issue with that system only being dual band vs tri band?

Message 146 of 317
skeelo
Luminary

No go.  Blocked every URL upstream in my ISPs modem and the system still updated last night.  Fingers crossed Netgear gets their firmware act together quickly and deploys something that works better than the current firmware!

Message 147 of 317
GoldenRetroGame
Apprentice

They don't have a track record of fixing things quickly. I believe it was over a year for them to solve the DNS issue. Given how poorly this firmward has been working for people, you'd think they would have rushed out a fix or at least reverted to the v3 beta which was working perfectly.

Message 148 of 317
Rads
Tutor

My perspective on this is simple: The day I realized NG has completely removed my ability to control the firmware and updates on the hardware I OWN is the day I decided to at least temporarily replace it.  Admittedly, I only realized this recently due to the serious stability issues I am experiencing. I can't have a home network that I cannot rely on.  Like many of you, I WFH more than I used to and I am fed up constantly having to at least once a day power off/on the router and satellites in order to be able to work.

Hopefully, NG both fixes the current firmware are restores our ability to run/manage our hardware the way we want.

A real shame since I have run Orbi networking for a long time and have recommended it to most of my friends and clients for their home WiFi.

Message 149 of 317
skeelo
Luminary

Completely agree.  That said, I have over $1k invested and a bunch of time in this setup and would prefer not to shell out more money something different.

I do not really care about the firmware control to be honest.  I just want something that works consistently, as this device did for nearly two years prior to the latest firmware upgrade.

Message 150 of 317
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7